Lutron Integration - help setting up telnet

Yes, I noticed what appeared to be across the board increases in dimmers, switches, and the hubs.

2 Likes

Yes, The Caseta Probridge2 used to be closer to $85 just a little while back.

1 Like

Yes It is the pro 2 model that i purchased... Now I wish the hubitat had blink support haha

1 Like

I use IFTTT to connect hubitat with Blink and turn my Blink XT cams on and off when I come and go, or at bedtime/in the morning.

You’ll never be able to shed the Blink sync module if you want to use Blink cameras. It’s a proprietary system that can’t function without the sync module.

So I can basically arm and disarm which is fine, but can I use motion of the blink to automate through Rules etc? thats what I do through webcore today.. if you want me to PM you to keep this topic on lutron, im happy to.
thanks

Sure, feel free.

Amazon has it for $120 right now.

1 Like

I am sorry but coming from Smartthings hub this is totally lame way to limit integration. This should be an option for the customer whether they want to use cloud integration or telnet integration. Though I understand the benefits of local integration, I still think this is a lazy way to limit integration options.

Hey, welcome to Hubitat Community. You're going to find that our philosophy is quite different than SmartThings. The founders of the company all came from ST, and were fed up with the cloud approach. It's patently ridiculous to send a motion event to the cloud to turn on a switch that's feet away. Thus, in our view integrating with Lutron via the cloud makes no sense.

Why is this our philosophy? Because it works so much better this way! Enjoy discovering for yourself why we do it this way. And, we aren't lazy! Ha, startup company hours here!!

If you really think this is lame, please return your hub for a refund. :sunglasses:

9 Likes

I don't think you will find a lot of people here who will agree with you. Many of us have transitioned from other environments where cloud was the only way things could be integrated and we had to live with latency and downtime as a result. The Lutron integration on Hubitat is one of the best features and I would never choose a cloud integration in order to save, what, $75-$80 bucks? Not me.

2 Likes

Amen.

@Zorg

To add to what @Eric.C.Miller wrote , Hubitat's Lutron integration permits the use of Pico remotes as button controllers. SmartThings' cloud integration doesn't permit that. Picos are solidly versatile devices. People here use them for all manner of things - including controllers for lights, audio speakers, doorbells, or even garage door openers.

1 Like

Least accurate adjective to describe Hubitat staff I’ve ever read.

2 Likes

Lutron Pro is currently at $150, so It is as expensive as hubitat or smartthings, even on eBay.
Telnet is not a secure protocol, hence I need to enable it in my network.
It is possible to communicate with regular Lutron (not pro) on the local network. There are python libraries available. But, it requires SSL which could be outside of the capabilities of Hubitat.

While there is a SW solution for connecting locally to regular Lutron hub, that is not implemented in Hubitat. Instead the company recommends buying a more expensive hub while this can be easily solved if they put the effort to implement the driver for it.

Have you considered creating your own home automation hub to integrate with your Lutron Caseta bridge?

2 Likes

Actually, yes. But I already sunk $150 to Hubitat. At this point I prefer to write Telnet to Lutron proxy.

Aggravation I am having with Hubitat is that it seems that every problem I am having requires a HW solution. I had no issues connecting z-wave devices with smartthings (before it died), hubitat installed at the same physical location couldn’t communicate with the devices. Solution: z-wave repeater HW.
Hubitat cannot connect Lutron. Solution: Lutron Pro Hub. I wonder what else will pop up.

Just keep using pejorative and insulting language to describe the staff and the amazing work they’ve done in just over three years.

I’m sure your experience will only improve from here.

2 Likes

Also, don’t forget it’s not too late to get your money back.

If you do bring that hub of yours to market, please give us a shoutout here so we can join your online community and immediately start :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: on your hard work.

2 Likes

I am glad that you are happy about them and your experience. My experience is my reality and it does not make it any less valid than yours.
I don’t care if the hubitat staff solves my problem. If they take offense for a valid customer feedback, it is their choice. If they could’ve solved this issue, they probably would’ve by now. So, I am not expecting anything.

In the first post you ever created here, you called the hub lame, and the staff lazy. How is that valid feedback?

Also, the only staff member that has replied to you is @bravenel, and I’m not sure what he wrote that you’re construing as being offended.

1 Like

No offense taken at all. Rather, just amazement at a first post as arrogant and disrespectful as yours. We have pretty thick skins by now. :joy:

We chose to stick to the published Lutron Integration Protocol for our integration. You are certainly free to implement another integration that works with the non-PRO SB. For some odd reason, no one has taken that on in three years, and there are a lot of very capable devs here with Lutron systems.

As for Telnet not being a secure protocol, this is YOUR LAN that you're talking about. Your LAN is only as secure as you make it. and using Telnet is not going to make it any less secure. What are you thinking is going to happen? Is someone in your household going to hack your LAN and turn on a Caséta light? Lutron is not a security focused product line. Their radio transmissions are in the clear. But, they don't have locks, and door openers, etc.

Welcome to the community. We all usually get along pretty well with each other. All it takes is a modicum of civility and mutual respect.

7 Likes