Lutron Caseta Setup Tutorial

This is mcollins354, just using a different name , since it won't let me post a reply until 23 hours from now (I guess their is a cap on the number of replies someone new can post when they open up an account). So I found out what happened: I have the hubitat plugged into the router and the Lutron plugged into a mesh network device which is plugged into the router. So the IP addresses were not exactly the same (one was 19.168.1.X and the other was 192.168.86.Y) I plugged them both directly into the router and everything works like butter.

Dang, sorry for all the rabbit chasing on this one, but I am blown away at the responsiveness of Hubitat. Thanks for all the help!!

Ahhh.. Google

Glad you got it to working.....

Scott

If I already have the non-Pro Bridge, can Hubitat talk to it via the cloud like SmartThings can? Or do I need a telnet enabled Pro bridge to get any sort of integration with Hubitat?

No, it cannot.

Yes, a SmartBridge Pro is required. Check out EnergyAvenue.com for good prices and fast shipping.

2 Likes

Seeing this problem do you need to use a static IP on your caseta bridge to avoid the possibility of it ever being assigned a different IP address?

It's a good idea. I've seen this happen too often with the Caséta SmartBridge.

I have never set it as static. If I lose power, I have to check the IP settings of the hub to see it it changed (I find that after losing power, it changes about 1/3 of the time or less). I should change it to static, and should. But the original issue I had was different: I had the Lutron hubs under the mesh network (which was under the modem), but the hubitat was under the modem only.

I just got the SmartBridge Pro not 2 version new on eBay and discovered that this device cannot be setup with the app. Called Lutron and they send me the Pro2 version

I got the PRO2 today and set it up following all the instructions and triple checking. Can’t get it to work. Added 1 Pico to test and not seeking any events in the integrator. Have tried Pico button presses on the remote and from Lutron app.
Any ideas how to further diagnose?

I have confirmed telnet is working by looking at the logs. So something upstream from telnet is messed up.

Where are you looking for the event? You can look for the device events in the pico driver page or open the live log.

Did you pair the Pico to the SmartBridge using the Lutron Mobile phone app? Just want to check the basics.

Thanks for the quick replies. After looking at the telnet device and checking the logs it started working. Makes no sense. 2 hours on this and wasn’t getting anything and all of a sudden it’s working.

Perhaps a noob must post on this forum first to not anger the home automation gods...

1 Like

Step by step (if I can remember them) -

You want to setup your Caseta Pro (and it MUST be a PRO) hub with a static IP. The integration program in Hubitat will want that IP address and it will save you heartache if it doesn't change. Your Hubitat IP should also be static.

In your Lutron Caseta App, you want to enable Telnet Support (gear icon, then Advanced). When you do you should see that IP you assigned static (reserved) as well as your gateway (router), subnet and DNS entries (all should be picked up from your router or DHCP source).

On the Hubitat, you will go into apps and click to Add a Built-In app (upper right corner of the apps page) and select the Lutron Integrator.

This is probably a good time to get an integration report off the Lutron Caseta system. That's also under advanced options. You can view it on your phone or what I do is save it to Google drive so I can save it on my PC . . . whatever works for you.

Back on Hubitat, click to launch the Lutron Integrator and you will get a set of buttons - click to create a new Caseta Integration. You will need to assign a name and also enter the IP address of your Caseta Pro Hub that you found in the advanced section on the Lutron Caseta app (mentioned above).

At this point you can add devices. I do it manually because I don't necessarily add all my Lutron devices into Hubitat. You should be able to find your Pico in the integration report.

There are two ways to enter them - individually (sort of menu driven) and bulk (a list that you type in). I have always used the bulk method and just add my new ones on to the end of the list.

Assuming you use the bulk method, you will enter a pico as p or q (depending on whether you want to be able to use button hold as an option), then the device number taken from your integration report, and then the name of the device.

When you have finished entering the device (or a batch of devices), click Done.

In the Device listing on Hubitat, you should now see a Lutron Telnet device, which is the communications from the Caseta Pro hub to/from the Hubitat Hub and you should also see any of the Lutron devices (Picos, dimmers, switches, shades, etc.) you added through the Lutron Integrator immediately above.

Advanced Topic - the Lutron Caseta has the ability to group Lutron devices together and you can activate them using a single virtual Lutron device. You will see a large number of "Buttons" at the top of the integration report - that's what those are. To use those, you will also want to add (as a Lutron Device when you are adding them to the Hubitat's Lutron Integration) your Caseta Pro Hub as a Device - I believe it will always be Device 1 - and it is added as a Lutron Keypad device. You don't need to worry about this right now - it can be added later.

If you see your Lutron Devices on the Hubitat Device list, you can now include them in some automation rules. Start with something simple to see if they work. If not working, check the logs.

1 Like

Sounds like you got it working. I need to learn to type faster! :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Eric!

I am seeing something odd. Lutron is reporting the Pico buttons as ID 2-6 but in the HE Pico device log the presses come through as 1-5. Is this as expected?

Yes, that is expected behavior. Lutron names (or numbers) the buttons a little differently from Hubitat. I think Hubitat's "standard" button naming scheme is starting with button one at the top of the device and working down. So a "regular" 5 button Pico is numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 from top to bottom. 1 is the on, 2 is dimmer up, 3 is the round "favorite" button, 4 is dimmer down, and 5 is off.

Great, thanks for the info.

I got my Hubitat setup today. Currently I'm using Smartthing. Do I need to unpair Lutron with ST inorder to migrate them to Hubitat? Since I'm trying to discover devices and Hubitat found nothing