Lutron Caseta Setup Tutorial

Thanks for the clarification.

Apps are updated with each new release automatically. New features sometimes force a completely new version of an app. For Button Controller you would need to have version 1.6. You can see this on the Apps page, under Type.

You are correct that creating a new one would automatically get you a version 1.6 instance. If you have an old instance, you would need to recreate.

2 Likes

Yup.

button%20controller%20version

Thanks.

That version number that shows in the app, the one you have highlighted, is misleading. I'm going to remove it. The one that matters is the one in the Type column. You need 1.6, and you'll get that from a new instance.

While am waiting for my HE delivered; doing some research on Lurton smart bridge. very quickly learnt that I can’t use my current smart bridge installed last year.

Question:

1. pro bridge link posted seem to be old versions and not found in many hardware stores in US, except amazon and eBay, are these going out of support?

2. Amazon reviews suggest these are old version and firmware is not updatable, any. Comments on that ?

Am new to HE world :slight_smile: hoping to replace all switches with Lurton dimmer /pico and trigger using motion sensors; the way lot of folks on the forum implemented; end goal is to not use any switches or voice to control....

I would suggest Energy Avenue as a source for the Lutron Caseta Pro hub. Around $88. I got my second one last week. The hubs are not widely available at retail outlets. The other Caseta pieces - dimmers, plug-in dimmers, switches - I have been able to get at Home Depot. Home Depot pricing runs about 10% higher than Energy Avenue.

https://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/L-BDGPRO2-WH

Disclosure: I own no stock in Energy Avenue or Lutron.

1 Like

AFAIK you want model L-BDGPRO2, which is not an old version and still actively supported by Lutron. That is the model that was linked to in the post you replied to.

The pro model is necessary for the Telnet functionality that will allow for integration with HE.

And version 2, which works with Apple HomeKit, is the most recent version (though the HomeKit support isn’t needed to integrate with HE, per se).

It’s the pro bridge version 1 that is available on eBay but no longer supported by lutron.

1 Like

This is true but it's also worth mentioning that Lutron's support is phenomenal and will likely exchange the V1 for a V2 free of charge. I bought a second Smart Bridge Pro V1 on ebay for $35 over the summer. I didn't get around to setting it up until November only to discover that I couldn't add it via the Lutron app because the firmware was too out of date.

Lutron shipped a replacement V2 free of charge and sent me a prepaid shipping label to return the original.

2 Likes

That is good service. That's good to know.

Good point, multiple people have reported the same thing. And I had an excellent experience working with Lutron customer support on an unrelated issue once. So I agree, phenomenal is a good word to describe them.

I’d still advise someone purchasing a new bridge to get the version that will work out of the box, though.

Perfect; will order one from energyave as @Eric.C.Miller suggested.

1 Like

Home Depot will price match Energy Avenue :sunglasses:

Yes they do! Good reminder!

1 Like

Agree 100%.

1 Like

So I got the hub setup and working smoothly with couple of dimmers. Thanks for all the help.

I also got 2 pico remote and planning to use those to replace couple of dumb switches with cree connected bulbs. I have couple of questions in this setup...

1. Do you see any isssues bypassing the physical switch ?
  2. When bypassing, what do I do with the neutral?

Thanks

The biggest issue is your safety when changing a bulb. I am also not sure if there are any electrical safety codes in your area that would be violated if you bypass the switch. Always a good idea to check with an electrician.

The Neutral is usually never connected to a dumb switch in any way. Therefore, you shouldn't have to deal with it all. Usually the neutrals are all bundled together and wire capped in the back of the box. Only time I have needed the neutral is for a smart switch that requires a neutral.

Got it thanks !

I have read through the comments and having what is likely a rookie mistake, but can't figure it out. I had my caseta dimmers working on Wink, then left Wink and went to ST, then left ST and hopefully am going to be with Hubitat for a while. My setup is very straightforward:

1. Lutron Smart bridge pro with the IP address correctly copied over and inputted into the Hubitat Luton Inrgtrator app
  2. I added my dimmer to the Lutron app and it works great
  3. I ran the intregrator and made sure the device was added using the same name and correct ID number
  4. added this as a tile to control from my Hubitat dashboard

This seems to be where I fall short: I can't get the tile to turn on or off the bul through my Lutron Caseta dimmer. I don't know what to trouble shoot, since overall, this is not that many steps. Is there anything I can provide, such as a log or screenshots for someone to help me out? Thanks in advance.

Between step 3 and 4.. are you able to control the Dimmer from it's Device Info page. (Devices on the left menu, click on your dimmer device.. that's the Device Info page.)

I only have Pico's on my Lutron bridge PRO, but here's what a device info page displays...

As you can see, I can 'push' any button of the Pico there... you should be able to do the same with the dimmer.

Holy cow, I was half expecting a response within 3-4 days, not 3-4 minutes. Reason #487 to leave Wink and ST and come to Hubitat! Thanks for the quick reply.

I just went to the device page and have a screenshot here. Interestingly, when I click on any of the buttons, nothing happens. Should I delete the device and try again?