Lutron Caseta Fan

Depends on the switch / dimmer. Most require the neutral, but some do not. Pro hub still applies.

Yes I covered the "Pro" was required with my first post.....that part I do know

The Caséta PD-5WCL switch does not require a neutral.

1 Like

Thanks again, I'll check them out

For fans, some people just use a Z-Wave dimmer and say it works fine

[Edit] Don't do that, it dangerous.

1 Like

Hahaha I watched this video and at the end when she spoke to Alexa it actually turned on my ceiling fan in my bedroom.

1 Like

About the only dimmers I've found currently that don't require a neutral was the Fibaro's module, I have one not really a fan of them....

I can speak for any of them myself. My wired dimmers and switches are all Insteon (except for the two Meastro fan controllers). The Caséta fan controller will be my first wired Caséta device. Up to now, I have only used the Caséta Smart Bridge Pro for Pico remotes.

A normal dimmer should not be used with an inductive motor load from a fan. This is not a safe configuration, and may cause damage to the switch and/or the fan.

2 Likes

@inetjnky

Lutron Fan Control support will be in the next release. In the interim, setting it up as a dimmer works. Also, Rule Machine will support the Fan Controller, also in the next release.

3 Likes

@Ryan780 :point_up_2:

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you!!!

I agree, but I could have sworn I saw some here say they do it. I have never done this in my own home for that very reason. I might have seen it on the ST forum though, and I’m just remembering incorrectly.

Will this allow the GE Z-Wave fan controller to also be seen in rule machine as a fan controller?

Not until the driver is updated.

Updated GE and Leviton fan drivers will also be in 2.0.9

3 Likes

Awesome thanks!

Doesn’t inspire quite the same level of confidence as a UL certification :laughing:.

I think I misread, because I can't find any posts about it with a search. I know it's wrong to use a dimmer for a motor, but people take some surprising risks with their homes.

3 Likes