Lowest cost window sensors for Hubitat?

Definitely! Konnected is a nice packaged system, and is very convenient for most, so user code doesn't have to be written, lightning protection considered, etc etc.

Rolling your own takes some consideration in this space, which makes Konnected attractive (this is an area where you are actually getting something for the higher cost).

1 Like

Good, fast, cheap, pick two. Yep, I work in IT so I know the mantra but often forget it when working on my own projects lol.

Hard wired is definitely out. This house is 40+ years old and just wasn't built with anything like that in mind. Was lucky electrician could run cat6 for me between basement and one floor up to bedrooms as it was. I still have to get the other half of the basement wired for power in one spot and cat6 ran to the playroom nearby as well. But that's a whole other issue lol.

Probably what I have to do is piece it all out. That or wondering if a motion sensor would also work in two of the rooms?

Boils down to:

4 casement windows in each bedroom (2 bedrooms)

Bathroom window

2 kitchen windows

1 window beside front door

3 basement window sliding doors.

If a motion sensor could work somehow instead of the open close in the two bedrooms I could do that. It would have to account for cats though. Maybe even the same for basement windows? Although they are small but a skinny crook could wriggle in.

That would drop me down to 4 sensors on first floor for contact sensors.

1 Like

The Envisalink 4 is a good option also. Especially if you have a lot of zones like we do. You don't have to wire into each zone like on the connected. Just connect the 4 wire addressable.

Although I use the Ecolink window/door sensors (zwave plus) primarily, I have a few of these Tuya Zigbee 3.0 sensors. They are inexpensive $13USD, from your favourite overseas supplier:

(They have never dropped from my mesh. I use a generic built in driver)

and for the motion sensor, I recommend:

2 Likes

If you happen to already have an Raspberry Pi running or sitting around, you can implement this Wyzesense Integration using Wyze contact or motion sensors. The sensors are $5/each. If you need 15-20 sensors, then even with the cost of purchasing a brand new RPi, it would be cheaper than paying $10-$20 for Zigbee/Z-Wave sensors. They are tiny and have worked great for me. I actually have one of the motion sensors outside under an eave that has survived for a few months so far. I currently have a mixture of 17 of them throughout house.

I have two of these and they work great so far

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-snzb-04-zigbee-wireless-door-window-sensor.html

~$9

Since i missed it clearly written on the Konnected website, I always like to warn people that if you have a Vista alarm panel and buy the Konnected Interface, then Konnected will not be able to use Zone 1 and seem to have no plans to fix that. I recently switched to Alarmdecoder.

1 Like

Price is great. A bit concerned about the being chunky though lol. Wife will complain if she sees that on all the new windows.

Almost contemplating strips but price is high even with ten year battery life.

Hrnnm......why can't sensors be cheaper lol!

Tempting but I'd rather not have to integrate a dozen things. Partly why I left hubitat. I just want stuff to work out of the box largely at this point.

well there are these
Recessed door sensor • invisible security sensor • Aeotec

but I am sure they are not cheap I was right $35 but SAF (nod to @april.brandt) should be very high. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, looking at the existing monoprice sensors I have on my sliders, those others aren't all that big. I think I'll order a couple to start with. I just rexamined the bathroom window and front door window. No way a sensor would even work there if it wasn't super small or recessed. Both bedrooms have like half size casements (each window has two side by sides).

I think whatever I do will be ugly unless super recessed and yeah that's gonna get pricey. At least the two living room ones I can hide.

I have a TON of the 1st gen Iris Zigbee contact sensors and they work really well. Rarely, one will stop working, true, but it's very infrequent. Remove the battery and reinsert it, and that's usually all it takes. They are sooo cheap on Ebay, I highly recommend them. They are well made too and easy to open. Oh, and as far as wifi/interference, I have 2.4/5Ghz router, and my zigbee channel is 20.

2 Likes

'aight.

So, I just re-re-evaluated my first floor.
You'd really have to hoist yourself up into the first floor windows if you were going to break in that way, with the exception of two windows.

Otherwise, it's really the three basement windows I'd be worried about since those are ground level and you could go KICK and go in that way.

Any idea if a shock/decible sensor would be ideal in a bedroom?
Since the windows are basically doubles (two small casements side by side) I wonder if a shock sensor in between would be enough?

The monoprice sensors are huge.

I think the Wyze sensors are the smallest that you're going to find. Those run over 915mhz not Z* though so you'll need something external.

The Xiaomi Aqara sensors are pretty small too -- probably comparable to the Tuya's -- but are Zigbee.

I took a pic of Wyze and Agara side by side. Aquara is on the left, Wyze on the right.

Howdy y'all!

I settled on the itead zigbee sensors. Says in stock but never in specified quantity upon checkout lol.
Anyways, ordered 5 for now, that should cover things.

Edit: ended up cancelling the order for the itead. Nothing was actually in stock despite what their page says and to cancel you have to email support... So not a fan of their order system. Batteries in old have dealt with but the stock thing was very misleading.

Ordered the sangled or however it's spelt on Amazon (2 x 2 packs). 2 x for the upstairs window and then two for basement plus the extra monoprice sensor from the garage door I'm not using.

Can those Wyze contact and motion 'Sense' sensors in your picture be used in Hubitat directly?

Do remember these have been shipped without batteries so you probably need to get those separately. Domestically here in China my first shipment of these had batteries, my second did not. I've seen others mention that they received them without batteries. Ugly but fast sensors, I like them when I can hide them.

my shipment came with batteries but one has died already have a supply on hand

It requires this integration with a Raspberry Pi as far I know. I use it successfully with mix of 15+ sensors.

They also were not in stock despite what the site says. Canceling also required opening a support ticket.