Lowes IRIS Transition

It's not locking him out, it just wouldn't show up for him to register. Once booted without network connectivity it would likely get a 169.x.x.x address and need to be rebooted in order for DHCP to get a valid local LAN address

1 Like

Ever heard of going out on top? :rofl:

G2 hub support? I'm not sure what you are talking about. The Hubitat Environment (HE) is your new hub and runs circles around Iris. The Iris hub without their server running after March will be completely useless. I was a Gen 1 Iris user and had to ditch the old motion and door sensors. I have a couple of Gen 2 keypads hooked up and all of my old Z-wave and Zigbee devices. Use the Hubitat Safety Monitor (HSM) for alarm functions and then play with the Rule Machine (RM) and Dashboard for everything else.

I'm using some Iris door/window and motion sensors that I purchased in the US early last year and they're working brilliantly with just my Hubitat hub.
I do not have an Iris hub !

Hi All,

Another Iris user here. I received my Hubitat last week and have time this weekend to start making the switch. This might be a dumb question, but what is the easiest way to transfer devices and know where they are located? I’m assuming I need to remove all my devices from Iris and then search for them in Hubitat, I have Iris V2 sensors on all my doors and windows, and want to label each one in the correct location. Should I pull all the batteries out of them before I start and search for them one at a time as I install the batteries back in, or is there a way to discover them all at once and tell them apart?

I’m excited to get up and running on Hubitat, I did hours of reading about all of the comparable systems and in the end chose Hubitat over SmartThings. This community group factored into that decision, so thanks in advance!

Welcome to the community. I was an Iris user since the Gen 1 and was unable to bring my motion and door sensors over. As for bringing devices over, just do one at a time. The link below is a good read if you have a lot of z-wave devices to add.

2 Likes

When you remove devices from the Iris hub, some of them go into inclusion as soon as they are removed. I would recommed removing the batteries after removing the devices from Iris and putting them back in as you add the devices to Hubitat.

2 Likes

Someone else had this happen yesterday and posted a thread. It could be the power before Ethernet cable so it gets an APIPA IP address, but I thought I remember reading that the initial boot up takes a bit.

I would assume it would t take too long for the hub to look for a DHCP lease again, but maybe not as fast as some people’s ability to try and access the portal.

A question for an ex-IRIS person: I am about to start switching my IRIS system to Hubitat. I want to transition a GE in-wall ZWave switch. Does anyone know if, in the IRIS App, I should use the "Remove ZWave Devices" button in their Zwave tools first, or should I just just their generic "Remove This Device" button on the device's "more" page? Will it make any difference to Hubitat later? I will do a factory reset too. I keep hearing how difficult this operation can be. Want to do it "right".

I've been using "Remove this Device" for every device and havent had any issues when pairing with Hubitat.

I haven't used Iris, but it sounds like the former is a general Z-Wave exclusion, while the latter will attempt to perform an exclusion for that particular device. Either one should work, but "Remove this Device" sounds like it will try for just that specific device, which may give you a better idea of whether it succeeded. (Unless, of course, that's the equivalent of a "force remove.") In any case, resetting the device is often enough to make it "forget" its previous pairing, though in some cases--older GE switches in particular--you still need to exclude them even with that. Iris or Hubitat (or any Z-Wave controller) can do that if put in general exclusion mode while the exclusion procedure (check the device's manual; you'll likely also need it to look up the inclusion procedure) is performed on the device.

As long as it's properly excluded, Hubitat won't care. If it wasn't, you'll notice because you won't be able to join it to Hubitat, but it's nothing you can't fix either way. :slight_smile:

Thank you both... I believe I'll try "Remove this device" since further reading says that "Remove ZWave Device" is more for orphaned gadgets: they think they are paired but the hub does not see them. I don't know the analagous lingo in Hubitat, but that's not my case. The hub sees them fine. Not orphaned. So I'll go with plain "Remove this Device". Wish me luck :wink:

Just to go full circle and make sure you have everything at your fingertips....

Exclude is the single most important step for ZWave devices when migrating. A bad Exclude only shows up as a very frustrating Include on Hubitat.

As you saw, there's two Exclude methods on Iris, but the same two exist on Hubitat. Hubitat's generic ZWave Exclude would work 100% BUT without letting your Iris hub know about the Exclude. That's great if you have any reason to take the device back to Iris. (As in, you migrate something to Hubitat but it's got some flaw and while you're waiting for the Hubitat community to assist, want it back on Iris for the wait.*)

Exclude is 'universal' -- meaning it's so critical, there are many, many ways to do it. You can use your neighbor's Hub to exclude a device. One very handy device is Aeon's ZStick or if you have one: an Aeon Minimote. Both have buttons on them that initiate Exclude and are device focused... it will exclude a device when most everything else fails - or is questionable. If you're migrating a lot of devices, it's certainly easier to walk around a room with an Aeon ZStick with it blinking orange and just tap devices to Exclude them. 90 seconds later you've excluded everything in a room (the original Hub does NOT know the device vanished, by the way) and you're ready to start Including on Hubitat.

• ( Excluding a device without telling the hub will prevent the Hub from removing the device from automations, etc. To put it back, exclude again then you would run Replace in Iris' ZWave menu. Alternately you could Exclude then Include again on Iris. You get a completely different Node ID and thus none of the automations know about the new device, but picking a different deice is often pretty easy. )
1 Like

Update: So far, I've removed 1 GE zwave outlet and one GE paddle switch from Iris... using "remove this device". Then I did factory resets and... they both paired to hubitat! I'm assuming that if they pair, the devices should work in automations ok? No hidden gotchas? The dashboard is able to turn them on and off as expected. So far, so good. Now I'll try the scary devices: the Kwikset lock and the RT Thermostat...

I think that's a great test method. If Dashboard works, it will work 'anywhere'.

"A funny thing happened on my way to the Hubitat..."
So, I've been migrating my GE switches and such from IRIS to Hubitat... and installing some new ones... which causes me to shut off the power to the outlets now and then. After one of those flips of the circuit breakers, HUBITAT STOLE MY IRRIGATION CONTROLLER FROM IRIS!! It popped up in my Hubitat devices list unbidden! I mean, that's awesome, because I won't be able to function without my 12 station Orbit Irrigation controller. BUT... it's not listed as a supported device, and visiting the new device page naturally complains "No commands available for this device." Has anyone written a driver for this thing? It sure wants to be included! I always hear about these community solutions, but I can't figure out where to see what people have written. Is there a list?

@Dustyd5 Here is a thread on the Orbit 12 zone but its not working yet.

It looks like you can get one zone working with the hose controller DH but may have to wait on someone to build this out.

Here are links to the works with Hubitat and Custom DH list and Code Share

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Supported_Devices

https://community.hubitat.com/c/basics/codeshare

I had several GE in wall z wave outlets.....I would definitely suggest removing all devices in your Iris hub before shutting it down. I have had zero issues moving compatible devices from Iris to Hubitat hub.

I'm 1 week into my IRIS to Hubitat transition and here are some of my initial thoughts:

1. Hubitat provides all the functionality of IRIS (w/caveats).
  2. IRIS, as it relates to GUI/UI, was much more user friendly than Hubitat.
  3. The Hubitat Dashboard customization is awesome.
  4. The Hubitat Dashboard, as it relates to device status, could use some work. I keep running into issues with the tiles not reporting the status of the device it's attached to. I keep having to change the Switch template color codes because they keep returning to default grey which makes identifying and using the dashboard remotely unreliable. Dashboard tiles should have a default status built in that doesn't require additional changes other than adding the tile.
  5. Setting rules in TRUE/FALSE language is cumbersome. It's easy to set-up a double negative and deviate from the intention of the rule. This isn't a deal breaker for me but it can be for many users. Some devices like switches and bulbs would benefit from a default ON/OFF type system.
  6. It would be nice to have access to the Portal via my internal WLAN. This would make it possible to configure/troubleshoot devices with a wireless laptop.

I am confused by this. I use my iPhone, iPad, and Laptop all of the time via WiFi to configure my Hubitat hub. As long as your WiFi network is on the same subnet as your wired network, it should be pretty seamless.

I also connect remotely via OpenVPN to my home network and I can easily access my Hubitat Hub's Web Admin pages by using the IP address of my hub in the URL.

1 Like