Losing internet help

Hello All,

Let me start with stating feel free to move this post to the appropriate topic. After some time reviewing the docs and here I could not find any info on my current issue. We currently are using hue and Alexa to control most of the lighting in our home. Unfortunately we lose power (and internet) about once a month. When the generator turns on we have basic control with the hue app. My elderly in-law likes to talk to Alexa and without the internet that is tough. We are remolding and will be going nearly full auto. In the meantime is there a way I can keep Alexa local that I have missed.

Thanks in advance

Slack

No there is no way.. Alexa devices require the internet to process requests from Amazon’s cloud servers..

2 Likes

Actually, there is sort of a way... If you have an Amazon Echo with built-in Zigbee radio/hub, I believe it does allow for some very basic local control of lights/outlets that are directly paired to the Amazon Echo device, even with no internet. It is very basic functionality, if I recall correctly.

This would mean that the zigbee light bulb or outlet would only be paired with that particular Amazon Echo, not with Hubitat. But, it may afford your in-law what they need during the power outages once your generator kicks in. I am not 100% sure how the Echo device will perform if it loses power, and then regains power with no internet connection. I believe it will continue to work if it only loses internet, but not sure about a full power off scenario. You could test it and add a UPS to the Echo if needed.

Here is the description from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GCC6XV9DX58VW5YW

2 Likes

I can only speak of what we have here, but basic providers will keep power to their DMARCS for a limited time through a battery backup. Roughly an hour or two. So all I would need to do is make sure that my modem and routers, equipment, etc had power in my home. I can't speak for where you are, but my providers started doing this years ago, so this may be a possibility in your area as well?

2 Likes

Same here. We have our FiOS DMARC, router, firewall, and rack on Tripp Lite UPSs. We can lose power for about 45 minutes before we need plug the generator in two keep everything going. If the outage is large enough we can lose internet, but that is rare.

These run the whole show, but way overkill for small home network. If you do get an UPSs (even the smaller ones) get one with AVR - automatic voltage regulation - to keep your devices getting 120 even during small spikes/dips.

https://www.newegg.com/tripp-lite-smart1500lcdxl-5-15r/p/N82E16842111344

with

https://www.newegg.com/tripp-lite-bp24v15rt2u-battery/p/N82E16842111228?&quicklink=true

1 Like

The providers also have battery power at their "pedestals" where the service starts to a community. They usually stay powered for a couple of hours. Depending on the type of service you have.

When I lose power, I rarely lose internet. As long as my UPS keeps the router and modem going, my internet does too. But I only have cable, no fiber in my area yet.
:cry:

Also, I think you guys mean DEMARC. DMARC is actually something different. :slight_smile:

But to answer the original question, if your internet is what you are losing and not power (cause why bother trying to control lights when there's no power) then there is really not much you can do with the lights connected to your Hue Bridge. The Alexa integration is local, so it doesn't need the cloud but it will to process your voice request. The only way around that is to connect the lights to your Echo plus directly and then you lose the Hue app control.

Thank you all for the input. When we lose power and internet it is normally due to lines down (very rural area). We are explaining the importance of change, so hopefully she will use the tools that she has available.

2 Likes