Losing control of Kasa color bulbs

I've searched for this, but haven't found anything about it. I have about 5 Kasa color bulbs (KL125) and have added them using the Kasa Integration App (Kasa color bulb). Initially they work fine, but become unresponsive to hubitat after a couple of days. They still respond to the Kasa app, Alexa, and Google Home. I've had to remove them and add them back to get them to work (big PITA), but they eventually stop working again.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,
Jim

Do you have DHCP reservations for the bulbs?

Also tagging @djgutheinz

Yes.

Just going into the Kasa app and running the discovery again should find them and fix whatever is preventing them from working (in thoery).

Do you have them setup for cloud control or local?
What app version do you have installed?

Personally, I do not have my cloud login saved in the app at all, and I have unbound all my devices from the Kasa cloud using the setting in the driver. I only use the Kasa app to update firmware or add new devices to my account. All my control is done through Hubitat and all my plugs I have are working great.

Check this thread from yesterday, is applicable to troubleshooting all Wi-Fi devices that connect via 2.4ghz network:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/2-3-1-136-lifx-bulbs-sometimes-going-unresponsive/92003/5

Just want to add my solution to the dual band issue. With my new router having both bands on the same SSID seems to work really well for normal devices. When I set it up however I decided to create a "guest" network on 2.4Ghz for the IoT devices. I set the guest to NOT be segregated so the devices act as if they are on the main network. So this lets me have the dual band SSID for most devices, and IoT devices that might not play nice with it are joined to this other SSID. After setting it all up I hid the IoT SSID just so that actual guests didn't ask me what it was for.

Right - rerunning the Kasa integration app restored - for now!
All on Local control
Driver: 6.3.0.1

Thats an old version also, if using HPM you might be stuck there from when he merged the cloud and lan integrations into one. Current version is Kasa Local Hubitat Integration, Version 6.5.2. Some people had issues getting HPM to update it around when the versions were merged.

Going to be hard to troubleshoot with an old version.

2 Likes

The new version has improved application discovery (which works better with the deep sleep wifi chips in the KL125, 135, and 130). Additionally, the repoll is working better for when a device has 3 consecutive errors. (Thanks to the new multi-address UDP messaging.)

Be sure to follow the update instructions at : [RELEASE] TP-Link/Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb integration - Developers / Code Share - Hubitat. This will finish the process. There were updated to EM scheduling and the addition of the configuration capability that will be activated using this procedure. Final check is that the driver version in the log messages will reflect the current version.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I'm using Integration V 6.5.2. I thought you asked for driver versions.

I am surprised it even works at all then, because he typically updates the drivers along with the app, as seen here current driver is also 6.5.2:

Package manager says all drivers are current. All of the bulbs (which were discovered by the kasa integration app) have the same driver version listed in data: * driverVersion: 6.3.0.1

Like I said, when the two versions got merged a while back some wonky stuff happened and a lot of people including myself had issues with HPM updating correctly.

I would check in your app code list and driver code listings, first make sure you do not have duplicated Kasa files in there which can happen. You might have an old version AND a current version installed. HPM might be linked to one and the bulbs might be linked to an old copy.

If no duplicates, open up the Color Bulb driver and see what version it says it is in the driver code itself.

The simplest way to fix it is to delete everything and start over, if you do not mind deleting and re-creating all the devices. BUT, if you give me a little more info on what's going on I can probably think up something that wont force you to delete all the devices. I have dealt with this a few times on various HPM installs.

1 Like

It is not a good idea; however, the app and driver are not closely coupled (on purpose). Basic functions will work; however, that does NOT inculde error handling.

Also, the Driver Version on the device's page will not update unless the installation is completed by (in 6,5,2) running configure on any one of the devices. This is how I know if someone has not finished the update per the instructions. (I am thinking of tying an auto update to the on/off command of the devices in the next version. If it detects a delta, it will complete a configure for the single device only.)

I'm not seeing any configure buttons for any of the Kasa bulbs. I HAVE run the app and immediately exited.

Then you have not updated the driver code, or you need to refresh a page that was open when you updated the driver code. See post above for what you should see in the driver. The key indicator is the line:
def driverVer() { return "6.5.2" }

1 Like

Hmm... Wouldn't the package manager do that? It shows that everything is current.

Again, look at the code itself. HPM is not perfect. The page you pasted indicates that you are not on the current version of the driver.

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks - updated color bulb driver to 6.5.2 and now hoping all goes well. So far, so good.

Thanks again!

2 Likes