Looking to understand

When I first got my hubitat I added my 5 zwave devices and was off to the races. I got everything working and all was well for a bit. Then (after a power outage) I started missing Sunrise/Sunsets suddenly and my hub was slowing down after 1 - 2 days. After doing everything suggested in these forums I finally did an exclude on everything and then a full hard reset (I did the soft first but i didn't have a backup from before so the problem persisted). This was no big deal because I was also adding devices and had not setup anything I could not replicate in minutes. Honestly I chalked this problem up to the fact that I had installed every app I could find just to play with it and figured it was my own fault.

After the full hard reset and re-add of all my devices I have kept the apps to a minimum and things have been humming along. I have 24(ish) devices and the only apps/drivers installed are shown below. Everything has been working perfect for quite a while now. Then my power went out and stayed out for 2ish hours and my UPS went dead. Hubitat lost power improperly. When power was restored it all seemed fine but the next morning it missed my sunrise event again. I did a proper shutdown, pulled the power, and booted it back up and gave it another day. This time it showed the sunrise event in the log but my fishtank lights didn't turn on. Luckily this time around I have a proper backup and I did a soft reset and restore. It has worked perfect for about four days now. It has been properly rebooted once (just to see if the problem came back) and still all is working good.

Now my question... What the heck? What is it about losing power that would cause this kind of behavior? I know its always possible that database corruption could occur but this thing cannot possibly be that unstable. Also if it was DB corruption what would that have to do with the system knowing Sunrise/Sunset times which it listed under locations and modes correctly the whole time.

I don't currently have a problem but I am hoping someone who understands the "under the hood" of the hubitat can chime in and offer an explanation (and perhaps a fix outside of a soft reset). I am pretty sure this is going to happen every time this thing is improperly rebooted which is bound to happen once in a great while. Even if its "just how it is" I would like to understand why.

Thanks so much!!!

Surface view:

I noticed that you have Z-Wave Firmware Updater installed as a device. I don't think that is the intended use (always installed) (@bcopeland). I think you were to reload the standard driver after running.

It is the odd-man-out and may cause a problem if permanently installed. It was probably never tested for permanent install.

Suggest: Reload the real driver for that device (or delete that device if there is none). See if this solves your issues.

Thank you for your feedback. Missing sunrise/sunset triggers are not common. Before I get to what may cause missing triggers, I'd like to address some of your troubleshooting steps that you have taken. First, your hub stores six backups that can be restored when you need. If you forget to save a local backup, you can always restore one that was saved on your hub.

A Full Reset is what we call the "nuclear" option, which is not often recommended. There are several other troubleshooting options that could be more effective than resetting the radios and the hub. For more details, I recommend checking out the following document:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat_Diagnostic_Tool

Last but not least, when the hub loses power, the internal clock starts drifting off. For good measure you might want to update the time from the browser after a longer power outage. As for other reasons that could potentially cause missing sunrise/sunset triggers, when that happens, I suggest screening the Logs for errors that could prevent your hub scheduler to run, as well as any location issues. If it happens again, please reach out to us so we can further investigate what might be the root cause.

4 Likes

@djgutheinz
The firmware updater is there because I just updated the firmware on some Inovelli Fan/Light controllers. Its not currently in use and I am not having any problems now. Will remove it though, just so I remember to get the newest one next time I need it.

@bobbyD
Thanks for the reply... If I start having issues again I will open a support case. Right now I was really just hoping to find some info on how hubitat is handling the Sunset/Sunrise events so I could wrap my mind around why they seem to stop working (permanently) when I lose power. If there is something already out there you can point me to that describes how this is handled that would be great. If not no worries, I will just wait for it to happen again and contact support.

Thanks again

1 Like

As an aside you may want to check out the community built NTP driver..

It will sync your time to a source you specify (like your local router). This does not answer or fix your issue about the reboots and corruption though but it can keep the clock from drifting.

1 Like

Thanks,
Thats probably going to help I shutdown my hub properly earlier today to move some wires around and it was off for about 30 minutes. I just now checked what time it thought it was and it said 11:45am... Guess it really is bad at keeping time. Will give this is a shot now.