Looking for Zwave lock (deadbolt) recommendation

Yale YRD256 Z-Wave Plus.

No special apps or drivers needed to keep it working, set codes or get notified of who and when they opened the door. Have not had a minute of trouble with it. Bought mine October 2018 and it's worked like a champ ever since. 256 code slots available. Keypad, but no key in this model. Has the feature on the bottom of the keypad (that you cannot see unless you look underneath) that lets you use a 9 volt battery for emergency power to get in, if you for some reason, ignored all the warnings and let the battery die and don't have a back door.

2 Likes

This. And the zigbee version of this lock is also rock-solid with HE.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a gamble, but both of mine that I bought worked. The usual reason they are sold for parts is either (a) something is wrong with the keypad, or (b) the seller wants no complaints/returns.

No, my sequence was: had BE469NX locks on Wink. Bought C-5 when Wink started collapsing, put everything on -C-5, locks didnā€™t operate reliably on C-5, got beaming Aeotec repeaters for each lock, that fixed the unreliability, saw poor battery life of BE469NX locks on C-5, so got C-7 and BE469ZP modules, swapped to C-7 and BE469ZP together solely for battery life issue of the Schlage locks.

Never ran the C-5 with BE469ZP locks.

I canā€™t think of a reason to upgrade BE469NX to BE469ZP on a C-5 because the C-5 canā€™t do S2 security.

Everything is now working well on C-7. I only use the C-5 to test code before deploying on the C-7.

Thanks!

I have an old BE469 (non Z-Wave Plus) lock that completely died. I know it's not the keypad because when it died, it didn't respond to commands from Hubitat either. So, based on your response that it's a gamble, I just ordered the back section of a BE469ZP lock and will try swapping out the board. If it works, I'll be pumped as $40CAD to fix the lock is far better than $200 for a new lock!

Still trying to figure out my other 2 BE469ZP locks not reliably updating their statuses. They always quickly respond to a lock or unlock command but if I manually unlock or lock the lock, the status in Habitat often doesn't update. I have a lot of z-wave switches throughout the house that support beaming so I feel like my z-wave mesh is strong but might have to try the Aeotec repeaters I guess.

Make sure, at least, you get a photo of the DSK sticker if you donā€™t get the door mounting plate included with your module. You need that to do S2 pairing if you get a C-7. Thereā€™s some odd combination of actions on the C-7 that someone posted in these forums to get it to show the full DSK if you donā€™t have the plate or DSK sticker photo. I forget, but itā€™s in the forum somewhere. I seem to remember that it involves hitting cancel or some such during the pairing process when you are asked to enter the DSK.

If you have trouble, post back & Iā€™ll help.

You donā€™t need to swap out the board - just remove the inside piece from the door, unscrew the 3 screws, remove the entire module, put in the new. Only trick is to make sure the slot into which the locks tongue fits is horizontal, with the nib pointing up.

When you paired them, did you do so within 3 feet of the hub? If not I recommend an exclusion, factory reset then a pair. Sometimes if you don't you have this issue. Mine have been rock solid for several years.

I got the Ultraloq U-Bolt Pro (fingerprint model) with the Z-Wave module a couple of months ago. The reporting to Hubitat is very basic, and the auto-unlock doesn't work very well, but everything else, and especially the fingerprint reader, works very well. The auto-unlock problems, per Ultraloq, is due to Apple changing how a Bluetooth signal can be sent from an app that isn't open and running. But, they are working on that. Plus, I know a lot of people won't want it to auto-unlock.

My wife and adult daughter have told me several times how happy they are with it. I had a Shepard lock, but it bricked and I could never get the company to address it (after they had acknowledged getting me trouble ticket) so they were super leery about me getting a new smart lock. So the fact that they are so happy with this one is really something. It is way more expensive for the Z-wave version, but I'm glad I got it. BTW, they also liked that it comes with 2 keys (and the key slot is hidden behind the finger print reader).

In March the NY Times/Wirecutter review made the lock their #1 pick (but that was the wi-fi version).

Pun intended? :grinning:

I canā€™t remember the last time we used a key to lock or unlock the door. Our 5 year old Kwikset 914 has been trouble free. ZigBee and Z-Wave modules are available.

1 Like

I understand why some may not want a key at all. I mentioned it as it was very reassuring to my wife that she could get in if the lock failed like the Shepard one did. I liked that the key is hidden behind the fingerprint reader so it isnā€™t obvious that it is there.

My big thing about wanting a smart lock was to make it easier for me to get in. Pushing a code or having to use an app is about the same to me as using my key. It is the fingerprint reader that got me to go with their lock. It has worked very well in the couple of months we have had it. (I know there are other fingerprint readers, but as far as I know none also has Z-wave).

Just 2 tips for anyone who gets the Ultraloq U-bolt: 1. When installing it DONā€™T take a picture of it. I did and couldnā€™t complete the install. When I called their tech support they had me delete everything and do it without that. Since they know about that issue I donā€™t know if it is fixed yet or not. 2. When storing and using the fingerprint reader be sure to touch the metal ring around it. I thought that was more of a suggestion than a requirement to get a good read. It turns out that makes an electrical connection that helps them know someone is using the reader.

Re:
Me: the lock is their #1 pick
You: Pun intended?

My kids would tell you that would be way too good of a pun for me to make. Mine are much more obscure and groan worthy. :slight_smile:

We both have keys on our key rings, and I check the lock manually now and then.

When we get inside the geofence, the front door unlocks. When we leave, it locks.

I have the auto-lock turned on. The time slider is misleading in that it locks as soon as it is closed. The timer is only for when you unlock it and then don't open the door for the set time period. If the door isn't opened in that time period it then re-locks. That certainly seems contrary to how I was expecting to work. If I wanted it to lock instantly I would have set the timer to zero. I wanted to use the timer, say for 2 minutes, to be able to to shut the door if I was just running out for a tiny bit, say to get the mail or take out the trash, and for it to not lock in that time. I've sent feedback to them and they are considering it.

As to the auto-unlock, unless I have their app open and running on screen on my iPhone it works hit and miss, with many more misses than hits. They have told me this is because of how Apple changed how Bluetooth works for an app in the background and/or while the phone is locked. They said they are also working on this.

Any update on the Bluetooth auto-unlock? Are things better?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.