Looking for someone to flash sonoff dongle as router. Will pay for service

Based on the look of the area you're in, I don't think you need a gate. Doesn't look like there are going to be more than 2 other people within 100 miles... There, I just saved you $2,000! :wink:

3 Likes

At this point I'm not against it but it would have to integrate with hubitat. I'm really trying not to have multiple apps for everything. I don't have any experience with powerline adapters so I'll look into it. I suppose then I would just need a Wi-Fi relay or garage door opener kit that integrates with hubitat. I use action tiles on fire 7 tablets and I need to be able to put a button there to open the gate.

When your cameras wake you up at 2:30 a.m. cause there's people pulling up your driveway to get out and take a piss in the woods you might think of putting up a gate. Nevermind the amount of people who just drive up and then turn around and head out. This will happen two or three times a month at all hours of the day and night. Waking up to the driveway camera is one thing but then when the side porch camera goes off a second later it's not the greatest feeling in the world. While I live somewhat in the woods I am at the end of a neighborhood where the road transitions to my driveway.

3 Likes

I had a hunch that that was happening. People thinking that they were still on the road. I still found @danabw ’s comment humorous though.

1 Like

Here is an example. Nothing fancy but gets the job done.

TP-Link Powerline WiFi Extender (TL-WPA7517KIT) - AV1000 Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Dual Band WiFi, OneMesh, Gigabit Port, Ethernet Over Power, Plug & Play (Renewed) https://a.co/d/0hhfXjt

Now you just need something to open the gate. Kasa does local wifi, not sure if they have the relay your looking for. Does anybody have a local wifi device recommendation?

Shelly relay …..

1 Like

OMG I'm such an idiot as Shelly completely slipped my mind. There you go, thats the solution. Powerline ethernet with wifi bridge to A Shelly.

3 Likes

LOL...that doesn't sound fun. We have an extremely smaller version of your issue at our summer cottage. Our driveway is also at the end of a paved road. The road actually continues but changes to dirt/gravel after our driveway and looks a little scary. So every single freaking tourist who arrives at the transition point ends up pulling into our driveway to turn around. We have gotten used to it and sit on the porch and make up funny (to us :wink: ) dialog for the people in the car while they pull into our driveway to turn around.

Nailed it. (As usual.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha - my coworkers and trainees would disagree. But, appreciate the vote of confidence!

1 Like

Right now I have a bunch of extension cords running through the woods down to the gate so I've come up with a temporary solution. These will go in between the chords and hopefully get me signal down there. I just have to figure out a way to waterproof them.

Appreciate all the input. I still haven't decided on what's going to be the best way for me to finalize this. Hopefully this works for now.

A bunch of options:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=outdoor+plug+cover

These could also work, and would be very pretty. :wink:

Unbelievably all those ZigBee repeaters still didn't make it. I then figured let me try Z-Wave as it's ranges supposed to be much much better.

I bought some Z-Wave outlets and replace some of the older ones I had outside of my porch with the new units. Set up a Zen 17 to be a momentary switch. Then with a power bank hooked up to the Zen17 I would stop every 15 ft to check and it only gets me about halfway.

I'm getting pretty frustrated at this point. I am now looking into a power line ethernet adapter as it is a single circuit all the way down there. The issue is how do I convert from ethernet to Z-Wave or zigbee once I get down there? Another hub?

Yep another hub will do it. You can then use Hub Mesh to share the devices.

Z-Wave can only do 4 hops max..

No. I suggested this before. Why are you insisting on zigbee or zwave. A powerline adapter can have wifi on the far end. There is no reason to then put in another Hubitat hub. Just use a wifi device that supports hubitat locally.

2 Likes

Well even with WiFi at the garage via Powerline, which I think is an excellent alternative to running a line down there you could still have a separate HE hub if you really wanted to.

I'm not into WiFi smarthome devices but acknowledge they can be useful and that this would be the simplest solution to @user359's use-case as presented.

Im insisting on zigbee or z-wave as I need it to integrate with Hubitat and then be made available to Actiontiles for my Kitchen dashboard. All i want is a damn button on a screen to open the gate.

I know its simple to run wifi extenders and use a $25 Meross wifi garage opener but I was really trying to keep it local as a I have a parcel box for packages on the street side that I wanted to put a tilt sensor in and a mailbox 25' further down (The town wont let me bring it to my driveway) that was also going to get a tilt sensor.

You win. Im all ears man. Could you suggest a momentary relay for this case?

1 Like

I not sure on that. Originally I would have recommended a MHcozy wifi, since its basically the same as the zigbee on. Unfortunately mine went haywire and was acting eratically. Garage door opening and closing fir 12 hours, lol. Screw MHcozy. I guess you should look at some sort of Shelly, but someone else should recommend which.

You might have missed this earlier in the thread. The Shelly devices I indicated in this post referenced below can function as a momentary relay. They are WiFi devices that are Hubitat-compatible.

2 Likes