Looking for a ZWave remote control

Hello!

I am looking for a remote control of some kind for a single light in my house. I was hoping for ZWave but the one I have found ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKWG9XS/ ) is ugly. The other I found is way more than I want to pay ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DBD5JF/ ).

There is also the Samsung Zigbee switch I found that is the right price and would do what I want, I was just hoping there was a Zwave option as I am trying to phase Zigbee out (I only have Zigbee contact sensors I will replace eventually).

I may just say the heck with it and do the Samsung.

What I am trying to solve is a stupidly placed light switch. If the doors in the home office are open, the light switch is no longer easily accessible. Was hoping to put a smart remote on the other side of the wall in the hallway to turn the light on from outside of the room as well as in.

Any insight is appreciated as always.

Personally, all my remotes are Zigbee remotes. I've never had a single issue with them, however my Zigbee mesh is really strong.

With that said, Aeotec makes Z-Wave remotes: https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-NanoMote-control-Rechargeable-MiniMote/dp/B07CXMD83J/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=z-wave+remote&qid=1551103771&s=gateway&sr=8-11

The best solution for this is Lutron Pico. It can be wall mounted and looks like a normal switch, but with no wiring at all. You'd have to buy a Caséta SmartBridge Pro. But, once you did that, you'd open up the whole world of Picos and other Caséta devices. Best radio technology available for home automation: not a mesh network at all. It's a "fixed repeater" network with a distributed database. Each device broadcasts and all listen, including the SmartBridge. The SmartBridge then translates each message into a telnet message sent to the Hubitat Hub.

Might be more than you're looking to spend, but here's how I solved my problem of having lights with no (or inconvenient) switches:

Two "real" Lutron dimmers on the left and two Picos (in this case the two-button models) on the right. The dimmers are actually mounted in the regular electrical box, the Picos are surface mounted on the drywall. You can also mount a Pico, using the same mounting plate, over an unused electrical box.

1 Like

I need to adjust those a little bit to get more even gaps.

Thank you for the recommendations!

I had seen the Aeptec Nanomote but decided that was a bit more than I really want to spend, especially when Zigbee buttons that can control it are so much cheaper.

I like the Lutron concept but that is beyond what I want to spend at the moment. Once I get more lighting devices under control, I may look at it.

For now, I think I will go with the Samsung Smart Button. It is Zigbee but at $15 or so, within the limit of what I want to spend in the short term. Still need quite a few more smart light switches to make other solutions worth the investment. One day...

The SmartThings button is compact and not bad looking. I have had a few issues with it appearing to double report button presses. Also one of mine seems to fall asleep sometimes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.