Looking for a rule notify about HSM bypass warnings / arming failures

I understand that in HSM I can create arming failure / bypass warning notifications, but its behavior is unacceptable to me. If any warning is set, then HSM changes behavior and will not allow arming until the failed zone is corrected. What I prefer, is to have HSM arm regardless of failed zones (it arms them immediately if the offending zone does close). The problem is that I do want to be notified immediately of this condition when arming the alarm.

I am trying to create something in rule machine that sends a push message upon arming of HSM if any zone is unexpectedly open (I will specify which zones it checks in the rule). This seems straight forward. I also want it to specify the name of the zone(s) that is (are) open in the alert. I believe I could do this by creating a variable and storing a string in it? This is where I reach a dead end because I am unsure exactly how to do this. Anyone care to help? I think this would be a very useful rule to improve the current HSM behavior.

Edit: I know that nyckelharpa can probably do this, but I have been writing my own RM rules thus far to take care of all HSM customizations and would prefer to keep it that way.

Check out @arnb Nyckleharpa. Pretty sure it does exactly what you want.

2 Likes

I did try it, but found that it wouldn't behave as outlined above. It may be that I set it up wrong. It has many other options and settings which led to some confusion despite reading the instructions.

I do what you are asking here. In my setup HSM arms regardless of the condition of any of my windows, if any windows are open when I arm HSM, my tablet will immediately speak out the names of the windows that are open.

This works well for me since I almost always arm my system from my wall mounted tablet. It should be easy enough to modify the rule for text notifications as opposed to tablet speech. I do this all in RM, I will post my rule when I get home from work, about 6 hours from now.

2 Likes

I didn't want to make things confusing in my initial request, but I also use a tablet and have many speech rules setup this way - I will use it for speech as well as a notification. Thank you so much! Looking forward to trying it out.

I'm assuming you mean that you have everything on auto bypass if it's open but then somehow if something closes after arming and reopens it will trigger?

Yes, correct. This seems to be the default behavior based on my testing -- as long as there are NO "arming alerts" setup under " Configure Alerts for Arming Failures and Bypass Warnings (contacts open)". If anything is set there, the system does not arm when a zone is open (unless it is specified under "auto-bypass when arming").

My problem with this behavior is that if a zone is left "open" due to a dead battery in a sensor, or maybe wanting to leave with a window open, you have to correct this or you cannot arm the alarm. I know that the Nyckleharpa app has a way to rectify this, but it does a lot more than I am looking for. Unless I misunderstand it, I'd have to create virtual sensors, and it does 'forced arming' after 15 seconds. Seems much cleaner and simpler to just force arm immediately as it does with arming alerts off, but still get an alert on your phone and / or announced on my tablet keypad warning of the unexpected open zone so that I can decide if that is ok or not.

No idea what this behavior would be, nor do I care as I don't see how it could ever happen. I simply want my house to arm when I press "arm-away" regardless of anything that may be open. But I do want an instant notification of anything that is currently open when I press arm-away (for me this happens through my tablets speakers informing of what was left open).

At this point I can decide to leave them open or close them.

I understood this to be what the OP was looking for, to be honest I don't really know what would happen if a window somehow became closed while the system was armed.

If my tablet informs me a window(s) are open, I will immediately hit disarm, and if I so choose, I will go close the window(s). If my system armed itself while I was walking around closing windows I would rather not deal with setting my alarm off. After I close the appropriate window(s) I then hit "arm-away" again as I leave the house. I guess I could increase the delay between pushing "arm-away" and when the system actually arms itself and this would give me time to go close the windows, but for me it is no big deal to simply hit "arm-away" again.

2 Likes

1 Like

Thank you! Will set this up soon.

Edit: looking more closely now, and this would definitely work, but I have over 30 contact sensors, motion detectors, etc in total. Looking for an easier solution I did just come across this -- [RELEASE] Device Status Announcer (TTS or notification if lock unlocked, door/window open, etc.) which I am going to try out shortly - looks very promising.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.