Look away - I'm just frustrated

I have issues with ZWave devices not responding the next time we try to use them after a reboot. Its like the commands get lost in the mesh somewhere. Usually on a second try it will work or if I physically change the state of the device (like turning a switch on) then it will work perfectly after that.

1 Like

Yup. I actually thought this was expected? I have this occur all the time when I reboot.

1 Like

@jtp10181

Not expected and not very common. Do you see this behavior with one particular device, or driver type? Are all of your devices acting the same way, or just some?

Switches (combo of jasco, zooz, and innovelli) and outlets (jasco) are the ones I have noticed it on.

Hmmm, my mix is heavily Inovelli but have some Zooz and GE/Jasco and not seeing the same behavior. Are yours included secure, can you pin point to only specific set of devices?

Sorry that wasn’t clear. As I noted above:

Don’t know about your setup, but, in our home, lots of things happen at sunset. The mode changes to night, outside lights go on, virtual switches change to act as triggers and predicates for rules.

I’m in my seventies. I can’t remember all the settings that change at sunset. If the events and actions scheduled to happen at that time are missed, things aren’t as my wife expects them to be. If a systemStart routine refreshes certain devices whose events might have been missed during a power up sequence, and sets modes and lights, etc., based on the time, then it matters not whether it’s a recovery from a power fail, or a firmware update reboot that crossed a certain time boundary. The hub configures itself regardless, and I don’t have to worry about it.

Some people like to fiddle with their hubs. I don’t. To each his/her own, I guess.

1 Like

I’ll get more specifics. To be honest, I have such a mix of devices, and many look so similar, I often forget which are which!

1 Like

I have plenty of Jasco and Inovelli switches. Mostly Jasco Outlets... except the 2 Zigbee I bought to be repeaters. They are not in any automation. They replace the Wall Warts that my family thought would be nice to unplug since they aren't doing anything :slight_smile: Now they can't unplug them :smiley:

I want to say I'm not seeing this behavior, but that makes me ask myself if I clearly understand the behavior. How do you detect it? I haven't rebooted any of my hubs in a few days. I'm on v2.3.0.111 and could easily upgrade to 2.3.0.113 That would cause a reboot, the ZWave Radio would not turn off, no commands would come out of the hub, and any unsolicited reports would be ignored. The mesh would remain fully intact, it would just be a very quiet couple of minutes.

Let's pretend I upgrade one of my ZWave hubs.. what do I do next to see this behavior? The device doesn't respond to buttons on the Device Info page (and thus wouldn't respond to Dashboard or automation?) I know I have walked into a dark room moments after a reboot and had the lights come on.

I don't have a systemStart routine. I should be seeing this.

1 Like

For me it’s one of two ways, but essentially the same thing. I tell Alexa to turn a light on and she responds “ok” but the light does not turn on. I have done this with zwave logs open so I know Alexa relayed the command to HE and the logs show that a route change happened and it seems like the message wasn’t delivered or something. The other one is I double tap my innovelli switch which triggers a button controller rule to turn on two different switches (the one I pressed + another) and neither turns on. Same thing noted in the zwave logs, a route change and the device acts like the command was never received.

I just assumed this was normal. Its all Zooz switches, mostly 500 series zwave plus and paired with S2 security, has always happened since I owned the hub. Mesh is pretty strong, most devices can direct connect to the hub and can see 10+ neighbors as well.

I also recently had some power off to install a ZEN32, which cut power to 9 of the switches for probably an hour or so. The hub was still on. I may have updated the hub and rebooted shortly after that as well. I think this compounded the problem.

I think I will have to test this further when I am back home, to try and isolate it to just a reboot and see what is happening on the current firmware. I have a zniffer setup as well I could monitor with.

You asking about secure pairing brings up a good point which I could see in the zniffer if it is happening. The devices are possibly going through the S2 Nonce initialization thing when the first command is sent after a reboot? Causing the actual command to be ignored.

I will make a new post and tag you when I am able to investigate (may be a few weeks).

Exactly this, except I don't have the setting enabled to always tell Alexa a response right away, so she thinks for a second and says something along the lines with I don't know what went wrong or the device isn't responding.

Good point. I do have that setting turned on.

upgrading one hub now...

Utter failure.. everything worked perfectly :frowning:

You can see the time gap at 07:39:00.134, where the reboot occurred.

At 7:39:48 is where I walked into the bedroom and told Alexa to turn on the lights. She did. They turned on. :frowning:

I think that’s wise. It’s advice that was given to me when I was having awful problems a couple of years back, and rebooting every night. The thought was that the reboot may have been screwing something in the database if it activated while something was underway on the hub. I did quickly find that the reboots at that time were not actually helping. I now use the hub info monitor app and reboot only based on free memory going below 220,000, which seems to be the point where I get rules relying on MakerAPI slowing down. You can see the reboot at 220k, another at around 250k when I upgraded a hub version, and it looks like another reboot is due soon… :sob:

I've seen this as well over the past few months but seems like only a few switches that don't always respond after a reboot - my mudroom and hallway recessed lights - both Zooz Zen24 dimmers (Not trying to single them out - I have mostly Zooz and some GE/Jasco). I don't reboot all that often so I rarely notice it.. but now that you mention it...

Note: it just happened yesterday after updated my C-7.. I cut power to each dimmer and they started responding again. Were okay this morning as far as I know.. I still can't say for sure if that is the issue though there could be a ton of other things impacting the operation so will have to keep an eye out :eye:.

Thanks!

If rebooting is bad, I'm in deep. Rebooting my C4 every 6 hours ! is not enough to keep the DB from swelling to ~190 meg and severely slowing everything down. Waiting on a C7, but not looking forward to doing the move.
9AM after a reboot i was at 71 meg, now it's 174 some 5 hours later.
I placed a ticket and engineering is looking at it

That's certainly not my experience.. and I hate that that's been my answer too many times this week. :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 11.23.50 AM

My DB size is very small and stable... I've posted this Dashboard section a few times this year and you'd find theres not much change. Two C-7's and two C-5's. Similar temps, similar cpu % -- except for the top one because it's my "coordinator" hub and pretty much all of my devices are mirrored to it. If you add up the DB size of the other 3 it's 35... and that large DB is smaller at 28, so it feels right. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Was waiting for someone with a C4 to chime in. Unfortunately that model is an exception from the rule. And along the same lines, this thread and many others have mixed feedback from users with different hub models. There are differences between C4 and C5/C7 hardware as well as between C4/C5 and C7 Z-Wave. While generally what works on one hub might work on all, there are nuances/tips/tricks that only work on particular models. Because C7 makes up the majority of our users base, people (staff included) tend to offer tips applicable to the C7 model.

2 Likes

My C5 hovers around 90 MBytes but dipped to 50 a while back as you can see in the graph above. Makes no sense to me at all.

Mine are:
19 MB - C-7 Z-Wave Only Devices
25 MB - C-5 Zigbee Only Devices
9 - MB - C-5 Net/Cloud devices only incl. Lutron & HubMesh devices.

What third party apps do you have installed?