Logitec's 180! WINWIN!

Looks like logitech decided that they may be in trouble if they didn't answer for their latest firmware slam. Boom That's awesome. Let's see if they follow through! @anon61068208

7 Likes

Wow, that didn't take long...I wonder what caused the about-face?

HOLY COW!! I have to say, I'm shocked. Makes me wonder if all of this was done as some on-the-sly publicity stunt.

If they document the API maybe we can get an official local Hubitat-Harmony integration :pray:

Money. That's what it comes down to. That's what it's always about.
But ... I'm happy they're fixing it.

With how quickly the community switched from one undocumented API to another, this would have put websockets on Logitech's radar to close down as well. See the comment in this thread about "wack-a-mole"...the publicity they would have gotten from chasing every opening down and killing it off would have been worse than the original IMO.

Going forward, we will maintain this capability and suggest this path for anyone seeking local network control over your Harmony Hub.

Sometimes, I just feel like logitech is a small child with adhd and they're just looking around for a way to piss people off. It'll happen again and some department head over there is gonna be "Nope, not gonna fix it cuz we're too lazy." I mean ... can you see a pattern here?

2 Likes

I click on the beta firmware link and all I get is a blank screen. What are others seeing ?

On one of the other threads, someone mentioned having to scroll all the way to the bottom? Dunno..haven't tried it.

Harmony is already dying. Competitors using IP control, better integration ... ir is really old technology. This at least allows them to not rapidly become totally redundant in the world of home automation.

I'm not asking this to be smart. I'm truly curious and interested in other possibilities.. what other options are there? I've never really looked into it. I just knew that harmony was what I "thought" I needed. I was always happy with logitech as a whole until now. But a keyboard is definitely different than home entertainment.

And one other thing .. are the other options as reasonably priced?

1 Like

Well for IR/rf control I use a broadlink RM hooked in through node red on my pi. I actually prefer this over my harmony hub.

Another option I use is the fire TV cube.

Top down decision making in corps. I deal with it every freaking day.
They hired a consultancy for auditing, which told them their hubs were insecure. They plugged the hole by pulling the plug on the api because the C-Level doofus said so. Backlash made them shrivel like cold pool water in early spring and lo and behold the nerd that told them it was a dumb idea to yank it in the first place, will never be credited.

3 Likes

It's like you were right there in the room with them. :smiley: :rofl:

4 Likes

Not really, unless you want a DIY based solution.

The Logitech Harmony Hub is actually an excellent product, IMHO. For about $60 you can get the Harmony Hub with an RF remote control which is actually very comfortable in the hand, and works great. I have been using Harmony remotes for about 15+ years now. The Harmony Hub based solution works great, supports IR, Bluetooth, and some LAN-connected devices. The Activities concept works very well, and the Harmony hub, with its additional IR blasters, ensures that all of your devices receive the correct signals as you change the activities. Since the remotes are RF connected to the Harmony hub, no line of site is required, allowing you to not even aim the remote at the entertainment devices. Integration with Alexa, Google Home, SmartThings, and others is icing on the cake. I have been using the ported ST integration on Hubitat for about 9 months now, and it works fine for my needs. Hopefully we will get official integration once Logitech opens up their doors to new vendors. Until then, the community will keep plugging away at improving our options to use the Harmony hub. Now that Logitech has conceded the need for a local API, it seems that we at least have some assurance that a path exists, albeit a community developed and supported one, for now.

1 Like

Bluetooth connection to Fire TV. This was the selling point for me. Nobody else offer this AFAIK.

1 Like

Disclosure, I have and like the hub and remote. I do not use the API.

1 Like

I'm keeping my eye on the Neeo remote. It has promise but I haven't heard from too many people who have one.

As far as reasonably priced, that's subjective.

It seems to me (but I am definitely no expert) that Harmony has been the best (and most popular), reasonable priced system whilst IR control has dominated Home AV device interfaces. It has kept up with BT connections for select devices but is getting increasingly obsolete as "one-way" communication protocols become overtaken by ip based two way communication.

I become increasingly frustrated with the control getting "out of synch" when I use alternative ways of controlling my av devices. For me I am trying to use CEC as two way communication between TV and AVR, 12V triggers (old tech - but reliable - works from TV USB and converted to 12V) and the various APIs that are available.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to play with one of these over the holiday to replace my Harmony. At $99 it seems a reasonable price rather than the $400 asked for the 1st generation. We will see if I've been naughty or nice.

Still has IR but seems to offer better consolidation of all the other streaming devices that we play with in our house.

There are others - Harmony will be around for some time but looking forwards, IR one way communication will fail - and to be honest I just don't see Logitech keeping up. I am no expert - but have been trying for years to get a system that the family can use without me having to problem solve on a regular basis - that isn't just the basic TV disconnected from the surround sound system.

I live in hope .... and hope Hubitat will be a key part of making this dream a reality perhaps.

Totally agree. I can't even remember when I got my first one but when I did I never looked back. I have a bag in the closet of old harmony remotes. Today, I have them on all of my TV's (two of my TV's have the hub) as well as on all of my mother's TV's. What they like is that its a consistent experience between all of the TV's as the remotes are all similar. So they don't get lost.

The setting up is not the most user friendly, have to truly get your head around it but now I'm pretty much a pro at programming them to how I like them.