Logging Question

So recently I had another "spurt" of things that suddenly made a little more sense to me (weird how that happens). I recently rewrote most of my rules because most weren't really working as I wanted them to, but I've fixed that now. I credit Rule Manger 4 for being a little easier for me to wrap me head around. One question that I have had is about logging. Do I need to capture logs on every rule? If not which ones should I log, if any at all. I look forward to reading others practices and suggestions. thanks !

You don't need to do anything. Logging is there as an option you can turn in if you need to, which would usually just be if you're trying to troubleshoot a problem. You could also use it if you just wrote the rule and aren't sure if your logic will flow as you expect. I usually keep mine off and turn it on rarely for one of those reasons if needed. It has no effect on the execution of your rule--it's just there if you want it, so the answer to your question is up to you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I personally like to enable all logging on a new rule until I have confirmed that all branches in the rule execute as I expect.

Then I set most rules back to log triggers only so I at least know if a trigger fired or not if something didn’t happen as I expect ... but usually my wife tells me when something is not right !!

1 Like