Logging in

how do i access my hubitat hub

Have you accessed it by any means at all yet (even to set it up)? If not, as stated in the included instruction sheet, after connecting everything, the first step is to visit portal.hubitat.com to create an account (or re-use an existing social account), where your hub should be discovered. If you've lost that sheet, up-to-date instructions are also located here: Registration and setup - Hubitat Documentation

The portal page will also show you the IP address (click the "i" to see), which, going forward, is probably the best way to access your hub. If you haven't already, most people would recommend reserving a DHCP address on your router for the hub, effectively giving it a static IP address (how varies from router to router but you'll usually need the MAC address, which you can also find on the "i" popup)--this makes it much easier to consistently access, though the hub also bears the bare hostname "hubitat" which might also work in a pinch. You can also go back to this page and access the hub that way again, though that's far more work than you need to do.

(And in case I wasn't clear, this is all done via a web browser. There is no mobile app yet, though one is in the works. You can, however, access the pages on any device you choose: desktop/laptop, tablet, phone, etc.)

1 Like

do I type in the IP address of the router to access the hub

No*, you type in the IP address of the hub. If you're not sure what that is, portal.hubitat.com should (as mentioned above) should help you get there.

If you don't want to have to go through the portal in the future, you'll be able to get the hub's IP address from your browser's address bar (or that link) at this point. However, unless you have a "static" DHCP reservation configured for it in your router, it is subject to change. If you know how to do that (and your router supports it, as most do), I'd recommend doing so for that reason.

*OK, you might be able to get to Hubitat from there, but only if your router has a web interface where you can see a list of DHCP clients and identify your Hubitat hub by either MAC address (printed on the bottom) or hostname (hubitat, which might also work instead of an IP address unless your browser tries to outsmart you and do a web search instead).