Log messages as a trigger?

In my log it shows that my lock is locked by me turning the deadbolt vs. z-wave or keypad changes.

"Back Door Lock was locked by thumb turn [physical]"

How can I trigger off this?

You can't. But if it's in the event description text, you can put that in a variable and test it for some value. %text% contains the triggering event description text. So the trigger would be lock locked or lock *changed*. You can see these values in the Event Log from the device page.

1 Like

I need to differentiate between which side of the door I'm on. I'm new to this coming over from years with Homeseer...I'm not 100% sure if you're saying there is a way to make this happen or not. I'm not given it as an option with the door lock in Rule Machine.

You make a rule in RM where the trigger is that the lock has locked.
Then the first action in the rule you save %text% to a variable.
From there you can check if the string variable contains "[physcial]"

Example:

4 Likes

There is a way to make this happen - as shown in the rule that @jtp10181 showed in his post.

Here's another example of the same thing, along with the JSON for that Rule that you can import and modify for your needs:

1 Like

But in that case the log message is not the trigger - it is a condition. How can you cause a log message to be the actual trigger??

You canā€™t and itā€™s not the log message being used it is the event description. They are often the same text but the event happens even if logging is turned off.

3 Likes

With the caveat that this applies to the event description and not a log message (as explained by @jtp10181), here's how you do it:

1. Have one rule that saves the Event Description to a Hub Variable.
  2. Have a second rule that is triggered when the Hub Variable changes. This rule will have conditional actions based on the content of the variable. But it is triggered by any change in the variable.
3 Likes

THANK YOU. I think I finally get it now.

2 Likes

After 7 years with Homeseer I'm now a couple week Newbie here. I didn't understand how to set that up in RM when you posted it. I do now...and thanks...it works perfectly.

2 Likes

Everything has a learning curve. RM is an incredibly powerful automation engine - and the learning curve is on the steeper side, relative to other built-in apps. To have gotten as far as you have in just 2 weeks is pretty awesome!

1 Like

Thanks. I had SmartThing before HS4 back while those guys were still there.

I'm moving over for lock stability. We'll see if that holds, but so far they've been 100%.

Geofencing is another story. Life360 failed to install so far...and they're app only works sometimes. I will say HSBuddy Geofencing with HS4 was rock solid...but that doesn't matter if you're locks fail 50% of the time.

1 Like

Start a new thread for this. There are LOTS of geofencing options with Hubitat that are way more reliable than Life360.