Locks

Does granting access entirely require adding the code to the lock though? There is an unlock function on the app that unlocks the lock without having to type in a code. Doesn't the lock report to the app the code that was attempted, even if the code is not store in the lock? At which point, the app can authenticate if the code is correct or not (this should also allow for more than the hardware limit of possible codes). Is this not correct?

Does the lock report incorrect codes in full? I'm doubtful.

For unlocking the lock from the locks key pad, yes.
Obviously when unlocking the lock from HE automations, no pin code is required.

No this isn't available, in fact locks don't actually report the code that was used, they return the codeNumber (slot), the implication being that the pin code for the given codeNumber was correct.

Which lock from HE automations?

Ah. That makes sense. Is there not a separate ZWave/Zigbee vanilla keypad product available that sends codes to be verified directly by the hub, after which the hub can perform the unlock command? Such a keypad product could also be used to do any other thing that would need authentication (turn on a speaker system, change thermostat setting, or whatever). It would hopefully also enable daily lock schedules and codes past the lock hardware limit.

Any compatible lock.

Yes, you could use a stand-alone keypad, but keep in mind they are all limited to 4 digits. Also you would have no way to manage the user codes remotely unless you VPN into the hub. It will be tricky to set up and maintain. It’s not really structured for that at this time.

Does anyone know of a Hubitat-compatible lock that can store more than 250 codes or supports keycard (RFID) access?

KeyWe supports RFID, but I don't think It has anywhere near 250 slots.
KeyWe support "should" be in release 2.0.4

Keywe has 20 code slots. At least that is what they exposed.

@mike.maxwell @JasonJoelOld Thanks for the responses. I looked into the KeyWe. It looks like it also only supports 20 keycards. Bummer. Regardless of the authentication mechanism, I'm looking for something that allows more than 250 (which looks like the max I've been able to find) unique users.

Is this for home automation? I can't think of a single situation where you would need 250 unique codes in a home

It seems like you're looking for workplace access. Is that correct? You're better to go with a professionally install system designed for that.

@Somel @SmartHomePrimer Not as formal as a workplace, but rather a self-serve community center, where there will be a lot of people who will be given access, most of whom will very rarely use their code, but will still need to have individual codes to revoke access to individuals who misuse the facilities.

If they very rarely use their code, how will they otherwise be granted access?

I suppose you will use something else of HE besides the locks?

I suggest a Kantech system instead.

Other people letting them in at events--but mostly that most of the users simply won't be coming very often.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Kantech system looks like it would be far outside the price range, and ethernet-wired locks would be structurally too difficult/expensive to install.

Yes, we hope to use HE for other things as well, such as thermostats, power outlets, cameras, motion sensors,etc.

I don't know of any home automation friendly / reasonably priced lock that supports that many codes. Good luck, though!

If you need to give sporadic access a permanent code is not a good idea.

One solution that comes to mind would be an App, that would store a DB of users and would granted them temporary acces for x amount of minutes/hours. Most lock Mft gave this facility on their apps. However this will force that access will be granted by a single person and that person is the person that issues the codes.

Also please remember that if you are granting access to so many people security becomes a concern.

Lastly please also take in consideration lock cycles supported by the lock. Normal locks for HA have an expected open/close cycle of 6 to 10 events to open/close door. Battery consumption above this cycles becomes an issue.

Besides you should consider a network lock in that scenario anyway.

I just moved over to HE from Nexia and I have the Schlage z-wave lock. Nexia allowed me to set the autolock to 30 seconds or no autolock and always felt that it was too quick and wished that I could set it to be longer 2 or 4 minutes would be nice.

I wish there was a way in HE to set the autolock to on/off and the ability to select the time of the autolock.

I believe you can do it with rule machine, conditions is door lock unlocked, action for true is delay 4 min lock door lock. If you have a contact sensor then you can add in the conditions to only auto lock if the door is closed.

2 Likes

I've been using this approach without any problems. That being said I do wish some of the "advanced" functionality was available in HE. Enable/Disable auto lock, vacation mode, alarm status.

2 Likes