Lock in 2023

Hey guys. I have been reading about the locks for hubitat a lot, but got lost in the options.. can someone help me choose a best lock for our door with deadbolt? Just want to be able to easily integrate with Hubitat as Im still new with smart integrations. Thanks in advance!!

There is no such ideal lock. All have plusses and minuses, with different features, looks, and connectivity options. It's kind of like asking what is the best car? They make a lot of them because people have different expectations and costs. The first place to look is the list of devices that Hubitat has tested and have drivers for. It is easily found by going to the Devices list and selecting the link at the top labeled Compatible List.

6 Likes

One of my friends has some Alfred locks and really likes them. I have some Z-Wave Kwikset locks and have been happy with them as well.

1 Like

Despite the changes in the company, I still wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Yale YRD series lock in either Z-Wave or Zigbee. I have three with Z-Wave modules, one with August connect for our rental unit, and one on a shed door without connectivity. All work perfectly 100% of the time.

2 Likes

Ive had a number like probably 20 or more locks in production as well as testing over the years. Never had an issue with yale. Zigbee or Z-Wave

5 Likes

Same. Flawless behavior. And I like the styling.

1 Like

Thanks. If i have all my other switches in zigbee, does it matter if I use a Z-wave lock? Also do I need any extra hubs to make them work? Like with a life360 geofence (to unlock automatically when Im near)

1 Like

Hey. What does it mean to have connectivity on the lock? And do I need any extra hubs for them? Cause I heard some locks wont work without an additional hub

Yes. Both z-wave and zigbee locks generally need other always-on devices to help route signals through the mesh networks.

But z-wave and zigbee form separate meshes.

So if you already have zigbee light switches, a Yale Real Living deadbolt with a zigbee module (they also come in z-wave and Bluetooth flavors so be careful what’s in any product listing you look at) will pair directly to Hubitat and sounds like your best bet.

I have three of them, one with a touchscreen and keyway, and two touchscreen only. I’m as happy with them as everyone else that’s mentioned Yale.

2 Likes

In the case of the Yale locks, it means they have a module installed in the lock that gives you either Zigbee, Z-Wave, Bluetooth LE (HomeKit) or Bluetooth LE (August). The latter two require an Apple TV 4 or later, HomePod or an August lock bridge respectively, if you want to remotely access them or connect then to a smart home hub.

With Yale locks, the modules are user changeable. Not all locks have that capability.

You don’t need a separate smarthome hub, but as per the above Bluetooth examples, you do need a kind of bridge in order to use anything other than your phone a few feet away from them. Zigbee and Z-Wave don’t require this if your Hubitat hub is in range, but they do benefit from a repeating device if they’re far or part of a busy network.

1 Like

I'm still partial to the Schlage. Anything above firmware 7,10 is pretty darn good.

Need to check out the lockpicking lawyer on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/@lockpickinglawyer

Seconded. I manage a number of very popular Airbnb's with the Yales in operation for more than three years. No issues so far and they integrate perfectly with the Hubitat. Also recommend keypad over touchscreen ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Yeah, but (1) that guy is awesome and (2) anyone who wants to get inside and has any basic lockpicking skills (like me) can defeat just about any off-the-shelf residential lock in minutes.