Local Files in Rule 4.0

I tried adding a locally stored .wav file triggered by motion. It just read the file name and did not play the file. Any ideas?

Works with my Sonos speaker as well. Thank you!

1 Like

The string entered should look like http://192.168.0.x/local/Untitled.mp3

I would recommend trying an mp3 file.

Also the filename is case sensitive. Hope one of these helps.

1 Like

I tried mp3 and got the same result. I am doing this on an echo. Could that be the reason? It just reads the file name.

Thank you Brandon... I switched to the sonos and it works fine. Echo doesnt play the track, it just reads it. The Sonos plays it.

2 Likes

Glad you got it sorted, to bad about the echo.

Google devices play local files too.

I've used both wav and mp3, if the player can handle the file type then it doesn't matter.

2 Likes

Hey guys, am I wrong or there's something missing here?

I'm pretty sure that there was an option to set a variable (global or not) here ...

Do you have any variables defined?

You could also just use /local/file.extension if the file is on the local hub. If you have multiple hubs, then you should specify the IP

1 Like

The magic happened ....

I've used global variables a long time ago and I completely forgot how it works.

Sorry and thanks!

For appends, what signifies a carriage return/line feed?

Great. Thank-you!

And for a string local variable append, %newinfoToAdd%, what do we use?

You can just put the CR in the text box:

A text box can have multiple lines...

Fair enough. Was conceptualizing it too old school. Thanks, again.

Hi everyone !

I've developed a "provisory" solution for accessing files from apps and drivers:

Hope you guys like it.

Marco Felicio

1 Like

This is awesome...

Local control, local files, local everything! My NAS does a fine job as a web server, but I really like the idea of keeping everything needed by the HE on the HE.

Now all I need is some way to send email via my SMTP provider from the HE, and I'll have zero dependencies.

That is, until your hub crashes :sweat_smile:

1 Like