Local Dashboard Images

I looked everywhere and can't seem to find out how to use local images as backgrounds and such on the dashboards. Yes I know it says to use a URL but does that really mean an image hosted on a web server? There must be an easy way to use my own images without hosting them on a web server or adding a web service to my local machine. For a service that boasts all local operation this seems a little absurd. What am I missing? Any valid links would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

1 Like

Under settings, use file manager to upload your image to the hub. Then point your background to myhubitatipaddress/local/whateverthehellinamedthatjpg.jpg

5 Likes

OMG, why isn't that in the documentation? I would have never figured that out so thanks for pointing me there.

@akelly Release Notes 2.2.1 - Hubitat Documentation listed there

1 Like

Ok, I feel stupid.
I uploaded a .jpg but get nada on the Dashboard.
Tried [hub-ip]/local/fileName as well as dropping the IP to "/local/granite.jpg"
I was wondering if the Custom Colour (HTML) background was masking the image but you can't set that to null.

Is there a way to use images stored on network / NAS? From what I have tried, it does seem to work.

You would need to set up Apache or similar on the nas to serve out images. If it's only a few images, easier to store directly on hubitat

I had been serving them from a local server, which I am getting rid of. Was going to store them directly on HE, but wasn't sure if it would affect speed issues with dashboards.

Thanks for the reply

might actually help a bit

Thats what I am hoping for :grinning:

The format is as follows: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/local/filename.jpg. Where rlithgow1 listed it as "myhubitatipaddress" it was just an illustration. The ipaddress is all you need, not myhubitat. Try this: upload a jpg to your hub, then fire up a web browser and connect to it using the addressing scheme above. You will see your jpg (or bmp, or whatever) in your browser.

2 Likes