Local Control Options for MyQ Garage Door Openers

Can you expand on your usage? What are your triggers, what actions are you taking, which vGDO driver are you using?

I think I finally have mine working right. It is complex using 2 contact sensors and a multisensor (tilt/motion) and switched back to the LGW vGDO - Zooz vGDO was bad at sending repeated commands and messing things up.

This post are the steps I have taken using the interface module to trigger the opener with a tilt sensor. It have app and driver instructions which I follow to a T

I tried following that and it would not work for me. Problem is, the SmartThings MultiSensor takes 1-2 seconds to report "open" when the door starts moving. If two people "arrive" at the "same" time (> 2 seconds and < 15 seconds) the arrival routine tells Zooz to open the GDO and the second request causes a second trigger of the ZEN17 and stops the door. The LGW ignores multiple requests to open or close when it has already been triggered.

I would not want my garage door opener to ignore the multiple request.

Reason is that often I open my garage door a foot or so before sending a request again to halt it from opening any further from the closed position.

I think that how garage door operate or at least it how it operate for me for the most of my life when I own a garage door opener where you send a signal to the opener then when it open just enough like few inches off the ground or a foot then you quickly send a signal to halt it from opening any further.

This allow your garage to cool down on a hot summer or let your outdoor pet to enter without having to expose your whole garage out in the public etc.

3 Likes

Note this is more about an automation problem and not about how the device works. I'm using WebCore. What I have is: if status hasn't changed within X (minutes/sec) don't run the command/rule again. This will prevent a "flapping" condition. So, this would be useful if you are moving in and out of your trigger zone. Like you leave the house closes because you left the zone then the road passes through that zone again causing the door to re-open. This would be a use case not to re-trigger, but this is through automation and not at the device level.

1 Like

I decided to use the 2 contacts sensor as "rotary encoder" to decode the garage door position. Basically, it uses 2 contact sensors and a magnet. The 2 contact sensor is placed in parallels about 2 inch a part. The magnet is installed on the pully of the garage door. The magnet will approach the 2 contact sensors. We can tell whether the garage door is opening or closing by looking which contact close first. It is important for the event from the contacts come at the right order. We then can count the position of the garage door.

The 2.29 update help to make this much more reliable. Thanks to @gopher.ny and Hubitat team for the single thread option.

Here is a short 32 seconds demo to test the concept. I am happy with the result. This will open a path for me to partially open the door in the future.

2 Likes

For what it's worth the MyQ integration is working on Home Assistant. I used this HE app to bring it in from Home Assistant and it works flawlessly:

If you have an extra raspberry pi lying around it might be worth tinkering with to get it working this way. I've also used the aforementioned app to bring in Vivint window/door contact sensors and iDevice switches that do not have HE native integration so it can be used for multiple use cases.

Edit: I realized my method is not truly local control since it's still going through MyQ Gateway so please disregard if you're trying to achieve full local control.

Finally tired of MyQ issues and jumping to Zen16. Picture of push button, current wiring and snips from owners manual attached. My question is regarding the safety wiring (sensor to make sure garage doesn't close on someone). How do those wires get attached? Would they just stay where they are on the opener? It seems they are currently in the white/grey.
Am I understanding that the wires coming from my wall button will go into Sw1 and then add wire from R1 to the opener (currently what is my red/white terminals?
Sorry for what is likely dumb questions!

Just leave the eye-sensor wires as-is - no need to mess with those.

Here's info from Zooz about wiring up the Z16 to a GDO... Since you have a purple-button opener, you shouldn't need to add a rolling-code security adapter for the Z16, so that's good news.

How to Use the ZEN16 MultiRelay as a Garage Door Opener - Zooz Support Center (getzooz.com)

1 Like

That's what I thought on the sensors. So move from red/white to relay. Then add 2 wires from relay back to opener

On mine I just added 2 wires from the relay to the red/white wires on the opener and it works fine.

Just figured I would add to this thread. The LiftMaster 8900W LJ8900W (jackshaft style), so far has been a great opener for me, it has MyQ, but also supports dry contacts instead of the special keypads. Not really an option unless you are replacing your opener, but it is really nice to have the garage ceiling freed up. I have mine paired with a tailwind and the setup works quite well. I have typical-looking wall light switches for control as well since I doest need the security keypads.

1 Like

Can anyone with a myq 2.0 opener post a picture of how they wired a zooz relay zen16/zen17 and the button opener such as LiftMaster 883LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Door Control Push Button

Unless you are willing to dig inside your wall control (to the physical momentary contact button) or a spare remote, it isn't a simple matter of wiring the relay connecting to wires from the GDO.

The easiest path is to purchase a compatible remote control or wall button with wires already soldered in place from Garadget, as should be mentioned several times in this thread.

See also Search results for garage door opener - Zooz Support Center (getzooz.com)

1 Like

I purchased this to connect to the opener as I read here it's necessary LiftMaster 883LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Door Control Push Button

Is it possible to use this in addition to the main switch on the wall? The relay connects to LiftMaster 883LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Door Control Push Button
only? That's where I get confused.

You'll have to remove the PCB and find the contacts for the physical momentary contact switch. Solder two wires there and you'll end up with something like this:

Security+ 2.0 Wired Dry Contact Adapter – Garadget

and then follow the Zooz instructions. Alternatively, buy the door control pushbutton with the wires already soldered in place from Garadget for $21.

2 Likes

What's the cable on the left doing? It's just being looped over the right wire?

Can this be used in addition to the main wall switch? I saw on a separate thread It may not be possible?

Also any special soldering gear needed I have never soldered before.

The red and white wire connects to your GDO in parallel with the existing wall switch. It's the other two wires that are connected to the physical button, and your relay is going to simulate pushing the button. Those two little wires go to the relay.

You can mount your new pushbutton anywhere you'd like, so if you need another wall control, yes, you can use it for that.

If you've never soldered before, perhaps easiest route is to buy the button with the wires already soldered. Return the one you bought if possible.

3 Likes

@Dan29482 - this is what I would recommend you do.

To purchase one, use the link that @HAL9000 posted in the post above yours. It is ~$20 from Garadget and ready to use.

2 Likes

Thank you that was very helpful. I decided to just purchase the one you linked.

On the Zen17 I would just connect the 2 non red/white wires to NOR1 and C? That's what the zooz site shows (I can't post links/pictures yet as I have a new account).

1 Like