Local control for sonoff zigbee sensors

Hi! Can someone help a Hubitat noob, please?
I've been studying for some time to automate my home. I've already bought some tuya wifi devices just to realize they weren't what I need :(.
I really need my home automation (specially scenes with door sensors) to work locally, with no internet connection, I mean, with no cloud comunication, like tuya demmands.
Currently, I'm going for Home Assistant + zigbee2mqtt dongle + sonoff zigbee sensors, but I think this will give me a lot o work and it's too complex. My question is: will Hubitat supply my needs out of the box or it requires a lot of more advanced skills, like flashing mqtt, tasmota, programming knowledge, etc?

If you're going for Zigbee, just check the HE page to see if they are supported out of the box.

Supported devices here List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for fast reply! I've checked and the sonoff sensors are there, except the sonoff mini (switch). The ones that are in the list, will work locally, without internet connection?

1 Like

yes, Zigbee and Z-Wave devices are 100 percent local

1 Like

Great! And how about sonoff zigbee switch (Sonoff ZBMINI), is there a way to make it work locally too? Thanks, in advance!

we don't have a dedicated driver for it, but i think there's been some posts about which driver works with it.
If it's the zigbee version then it will be local, assuming other members have had success with it, we've not tested this device internally yet.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I'll research in the forum!

Where in the world are you based? This might help providing some switch suggestions :+1:

Brazil

1 Like

Ah not familiar with devices available there :cry: I'm UK based.

You might also checkout Xiaomi Aqara dual-relay. It's Zigbee and there's a community driver that works with it. Not officially compatible, but I have two of them and I've never had any trouble with them staying connected directly to Hubitat (unlike many of the Xiaomi battery powered devices that are problematic on the hub). I've seen the inside of the Xiaomi and it's built well and uses good components. My experience with the Sonoff is they use very cheap components and some of their manufacturing quality is questionable in my opinion.

https://www.gearbest.com/sale/aqara-relay/

No problem! You've already helped a lot! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Everyone.
i am a newbie here. Just 2 months into my Hubitat now.

Connected my Hubitat C-7

Screenshot_20210129-201829_Samsung Internet

And X 4

I haven't gotten to connecting the wifi bit yet.
But I don't need that right now.

Hope this may help.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Much appreciated.

1 Like

Thank you! I'll research more about this issue. But I've found this post: Sonoff ZBMINI
I think I'll have to say bye to Home Assistant! LOL
Things with Hubitat seem much simpler.

1 Like

If you're already running Home Assistant, there's some benefit. I agree with you completely that it's a bear to try to maintain it as your primary automation hub and creating anything but the simplest of automations is very unpleasant on Home Assistant.

However, there's no denying they have a number of these really inexpensive devices working well with the Phoscon ComBee 2 Zigbee stick and I've read that the Zigbee2MQTT integration covers a number of the same devices too.

Just recently the community has added a very easy to use driver that supports automatic importing of HA devices that create entities (i.e. Contact sensors, motions sensors, temp/humidity sensors, etc.). This works really well to just have the HA box handle the pairing with inexpensive devices like Xiaomi Aqara and Mijia battery devices, Tuya, etc., but then do the automation on Hubitat, which is so much easier and very capable.

Yep, until now my option was going with HA + Zigbee2MQTT or flashing tasmota in a zigbee sonoff hub. But I think I'll give Hubitat a try, now I have to find out a way of buying and shipping it to Brazil! :smiley:

1 Like

They ship world-wide

Hablas español?