Litterbox routine

Something I came across. Seems workable for a non smart litter box...

yea, but there is nothing better than the Litter Robot. Dominic Meglio's (@dman2306's ) port of Nate Spencer's SmartThings integration works perfectly. Coupled with appropriate rules inspired by Jared Zimerman (@jared.zimmerman) to change light strips to green, yellow, red depending on the fullness of the litter drawer (and flash when things get critical), there's no need to use any app. Just replace litter when the rules indicate that it's needed.

Sure but I don't wanna buy a $500 litter box. My cats are just not that important (even though they think they are :rofl:)

Understood, and that's how I felt before I got mine. It's a life changer, and the cats love always having fresh litter. Get your wife to buy one for you as a present. Mine was given to me by my wife for Christmas a year and a half ago, best present I have ever received. Several friends who have come by our house have seen the Litter Robot and have bought their own after seeing it.

Maybe after finishing the basement... Ugh... so much already on the list (fence, basement frame out, attic frame out etc)

1 Like

We have had the standard (no Wi-Fi connection) Litter Robot 3 for a little over two years now. It looks like prices went up a bit, which shocks nobody. In that time, we have easily come out ahead based on reduced litter usage. It is hard to put a price on the reductions in hassle or smell, but I am guessing that it is roughly infinity.

Our cats are considerate enough to consistently fill the bin on the same day that I take the trash out. Your cat(s) may vary.

I've owned 2 if them... Past tense.

Ever have a cat with diarrhea or soft stool??? You might not think the robot is so great then, unless you like a crap coated inside of a globe. Lol :wink:

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

3 Likes

Nope. One of my cats has GI tract irritation so both cats are on a special diet (Royal Canin Gastro-Intestinal Fiber Response dry food), no problems since.

But it is great having the WiFi Litter-Robot and Dominic’s port of the integration. Our Litter Robot is in a remote bathroom, and I never have to look at it until the light strips start flashing.

Oh?

The black rectangle on the lid is an infrared distance sensor connected to an Arduino. Once Ruby is done and jumps down, a big-arse servo pulls the flapper and flushes for her. Our other cat Rosie likes to stand inside the bowl, but to each their own, I guess. We haven't had a litter box in 10 years and 3 cats.

3 Likes

Well, you have me beat. My cats aren’t trainable like that. I’m happy they don’t barf in my shoes.

1 Like

Try having one leave half a mouse in a shoe?

You can train them to leave the whole mouse if you don’t like to share.

2 Likes

All kidding aside, I loved the litter robot until I had special needs cats that regulartly have soft stool.

Litter robot works VERY well.

4 Likes

We felt the same way but we recently added two kittens, and my wife pulled the trigger and ordered one of these. Dang, im not sure why we didn't do this sooner! Took all the cats about a week to start using it regularly (glad i had a few extra blinks laying around). We have drastically reduced the rate at which we are using litter, that savings alone will eventually pay for it. No more scooping, just change out the bag every 2 or 3 days, and no more odor issues. We are certainly happy we decided to make the switch!

1 Like

My cats have started going outside the litter box... Pretty aggravated about it. They're not sick or old so not sure why...

It’s because you begrudge them $500 for a litter robot and this is their passive aggressive way of letting you know they’re hurt.

Expect no sympathy from this crowd.

3 Likes

Yeah I'll toss their arses out in the cold.... just like the kids... :rofl:

I think I hear one pooping on your pillow as we speak.

1 Like

No lie, we came back from vacation and they had pooped/peed everywhere. I had to steam clean two chairs (luckily they didn't hit the couch). There was so much poop/pee everywhere it took us two hours to clean and scrub that night. It was even all over the papers of my office desk. I nearly threw them out that night. The litter boxes were immaculate.