Linking two Elevation hubs that are in separate buildings

You are using http (oAuth) correct?

49%20PM

From the documentation:
"- Flexible oAuth endpoints; Hubs do not need to be on the same LAN or even same location."

choosing Hubitat (LAN) as the Type will cause the Hubs to communicate via Hubitat's Cloud.

54%20PM

Yes, using oAuth with Hubitat (LAN). Just like you show. Should I change it to Hubitat (Internet)?

Here's the latest. I removed the workshop devices from the master hub. I put the ethernet switch in my shop and got the workshop hub on the same subnet as the master hub. Updated the IP address for the workshop hub in the hubconnect server and then reshared the devices from the workshop. They show up with the correct IP but still don't function from the master.

I can now go to the workshop hub on the same computer as the master hub and work the devices from the dashboard or properties there. When I turn them on in a workshop dashboard, they show up as on in the master dashboard.

Of course now I think I've caused myself another issue as it will be hard to add new devices in the workshop because I don't think I can get my laptop to attach to the house wifi from down there. I may have to switch the cabling back which means starting over. But until I can figure out this HubConnect issue, I'm not going to add more devices there.

It sounds like to me that this is what you want.

From what I read, you have two networks, one at the house and one at the workshop. Each of them have their own internet service and are not connected in any other way. The only way to connect them with HibConnect is via the cloud and you want to use the type “Hubitat (Internet)” for that. LAN won’t work unless you have an interconnection between the two locations

I only have one internet service. I had to add a wifi router to my workshop because it's a metal building too far from my house to use a wifi extender. I have ethernet cable going from the house to the workshop. It is connected to a powerline adapter in my garage that I use to connect my solar inverter to my house modem/router.

I started out with the workshop hubitat hub connected to a port in workshop wifi router but this caused it to be on a different subnet. Now that it's connected before the wifi router it is on the same subnet as the master hubitat hub in the house.

Ok, I misunderstood, Hubitat LAN should work for you if it is on the same subnet.

What type of WiFi Router do you have in the workshop? It might be possible to set it to a bridge or Access Point mode and that would give you one large network without subnets

1 Like

The router in the shop is a TP-Link N300. It's an $18 router but has been fine in the workshop working with my Wink Hub 2 and getting internet for my computer and Alexa down there.

If you follow section 4.2 of this manual https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B14e54R2QsS.pdf
Than you get one network instead of two and could access everything in either location...

2 Likes

Yes, unless there is a good reason for subnets, it's usually easier to make your WiFi strictly Access Points so they do no routing. That results in a "flat" network - that is all one subnet. If the Access Points do DHCP you will need to divide up your address allocations (but this does not require changing the subnetting).

1 Like

I'll give that a try.

My next step is going to be to uninstall all the HubConnect stuff and start over from the beginning. Maybe all the mucking around in there has messed something up. I don't know if that's the case since it seems to be seeing everything the way it should.

I went through and removed all of the HubConnect components and started over following the instructions. Once again, everything looks like it should work. The remote hub shows up as online in the master hub and the two switches I sent over show up in the master hub device list. But they still don't work. I can add them to dashboards and when I click them they just show an hourglass. They will show the correct state in a master hub dashboard if I turn them on in the remote hub.

I do have a question about oAuth. The instructions say to turn it on for the HubConnect Server Instance but not for the Server itself. Is this correct?

My latest attempt to get this to work was to bring the workshop hub into the house and connect it right alongside the house hub. I brought one of the devices in as well. The hub works and the device works but still can't control the device from the house hub. No indications that anything is out of sorts anywhere in the system.

Am I the only one who can't get this HubConnect thing to work?

You're the only one... today. :smiley:

I think it's time for a Technical Support Report.

Server Hub -> Apps -> HubConnect Server for Hubitat -> Utilities -> Technical Support Report.

When it builds, click on the (words of) the report, copy and paste it into a PM to @srwhite and I. We'll see if there's something strange in your setup.

Also please run an App and Driver version report. (Same utilities menu.) Verify the final column is all green, no blanks, no red.

With the help of @csteele, @srwhite and others, I was able to resolve my issues and get my two hubs connected properly.

While this didn't affect me directly, make sure you assign static IP addresses to your multiple hubs. Also as someone suggested, I changed my remote router to an access point so that both hubs were on the same subnet. I don't think it was a problem but that also allows me to control both hubs from either my house or my workshop as well as from my phone app.

Now on to more device migration from Wink.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. Pleased you have it working.

2 Likes

Here is a new problem with my system. I just finished my move from Wink over the weekend including replacing my Lutron Connected Bulb Remotes with Pico remotes and the Lutron Pro2 Bridge. I set up one remote in Simple Automation Rules to turn on and off the floodlights on my workshop from the house. It turns them on but won't turn them off. I have it set to toggle them on and off. But I also setup another remote to have separate buttons turn on and turn off and still won't turn them off. The remotes toggle lights, groups and scenes on and off inside the house fine.

I can turn them off with Alexa commands. All the controls are run through the server hub.

The only way I can get it to work is to put the lights in a group and turn off the "Enable on/off optimization" setting in the group.

Not a big deal as I got it to work but just curious why it does that.

I would recommend you set this up using Button Controllers.

Thanks, I tried that and have the same problem. But good to know there is a button controller app. I'll move my other ones to that to keep them together.

I found that part of my problem was that I had duplicates in the device list with one set having the wrong IP address for the remote hub. This was caused by my router not keeping the reserved IP address for the remote hub intact after a reboot and the devices got added under a second IP address. I've removed all the duplicates and reconnected the devices to the various groups, scenes and buttons and everything is now working as it should.