Lights came on - and not by any automation

Hello all,

Running build: 2.1.1.114 and tonight, 2 lights that came on for no reason.

1 light is not even part of any rule, the other is part of 2 scenes that are only activated through Alexa and we weren't even home when they turned on

Here is when we came home

Something definitely weird going on with this new build
Rick

Check your log entries

Do you have it exposed to the internet? Using Shodan, I've been able to find plenty of of unsecured home automation platforms exposed that anyone can get into and cause problems.

How is your mains power supply? Was there a storm at the time?

Some of my bulbs are very sensitive to drop offs in the mains supply. When we have storm which causes the mains to flicker, two of my zigbee bulbs always revert to their "on" state.

4 Likes

Hey all, thanks for the question.

No mains power issues/storms (San Diego), not exposed to the internet and the logs say, turned on digitally, and in the case of these 2 lights, ZERO logs, so truly weird

When going to bed last night, I turned everything off by Alexa Good Night Routine and 2 of my daytime lights that are only turned on by low Lux (during the day) came on. It did this twice. I went into the daytime Rule (3.0) and saved it, then they stayed off. In this case, the Lux for the device did show basically 0 so it triggered the lights, however it's restricted to run only during daytime hours which it has been for over a year now AND, there is ZERO log for the rule to show it ran

Rick

Its possible that the rule itself is to blame. Can you post the rules? There is an issue with simplified conditions always evaluating as true in version 2.1.1.114. If you post the rules we can determine if that's the cause.

Here you go, it is further restricted to Sat/Sun only. I have another for M-F

But no log at all???

Rick

Well, first of all, you don't have to turn the device on and set the level. Setting the level is enough. That should be enough.

Why do you think that this wouldn't fire last night? I would think it would as soon as the luminescence was low.

Ryan,

I didn't have any luck with just setting dim so I added in the On first, I'll give it another go.

As for not coming on at night, Time between sunrise +30 and sunset -45 restricts it to daytime only, unless I'm missing something? It's been working fine for over a year and last night was the first time that it came on after dark

Rick

I did have a light come on a couple of times on me and they were around 1am. No rule other than dashboard. I removed the light from the dashboard and added it back. No problem again since.

There's a bug in 2.1.1.114 where times in event logs are using GMT, even though it still shows your local timezone as part of the timestamp. Maybe this could be affecting your rules as well.

I had a light come on which is part on my night scene, the scene is set to turn it off, and normally did. Then the other night I noticed it had actually turned on during the mode/scene change.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.