Light Switch misfires

I have a Zooz motion detector that detects motion in a walk in closet to turn on the overhead lights. The switch is a Zooz Zen26. 9 out of 10 times it works great, but about 10% of the time the light switch toggles but doesn't stay on. Could anything I am doing automating that be the problem or is it the switch? It is on a 3 way switch, but I haven't figured out any correlation with the position of the non-smart switch. Thanks,

Do you have any other apps/automations that could be conflicting? Check out the "In Use By" section on your device page. Alternatively, because I recently read about problems with some Zooz switches receiving multiple commands in quick succession (and maybe you have a motion sensor that sends double "active" events and an affected switch), can you get the same problem to happen if you go to the switch device's page and just click the "On" button/command a few times in quick succession? If so, that's really a problem with the device, but you could work around it in Hubitat (with something I can share if that's the case but won't bother if it's not since this is just a guess at this point).

Seeing a copy of the rule or app that you are using the do this automation would be a huge help as well. That way, we can see if that might be the culprit.

I don't believe there is a conflict. It is the only item on the motion sensor. I will try the quick succession tonight when I get home. Thanks

I don't know how to get that remotely, but I just used simple lighting where if the motion detector sees motion it turns on the light and stays on until it doesn't have motion for 5 minutes.

It occurs when I use the dashboard to toggle it as well. I guess the switch is bad. None of my other switches have the problem. Thanks for your help.

I think Zooz is aware of the switch issue and might fix it with firmware if possible (though to be clear I meant repeated "on"s as you might do from the device page and not a dashboard--you'd expect a toggle to at least turn it off at some point), but you can work around the issue by "debouncing" the motion sensor in Hubitat. I think this is being addressed for the Zooz 4-in-1 in the next firmware update if you don't mind waiting (assuming that's what you have, not sure about the ZEN18), otherwise I'm pretty sure I can point you to something in Rule Machine that can temporarily work around it.

Yes, there will be a driver preference for this should it be required, this should prevent multiple commands being sent to the automations and then to the Zen 26 switch, it will not however fix the switch, if you send multiple on or off commands in rapid succession to this switch it will crash, nothing we can do about that.

I do have the Zooz 4 in 1. I think it is the switch and not the sensor. I ordered a replacement to see if that is the problem. If the switch is okay, I'll find another place to use it. Thanks for your help.

The problem is indeed certainly the switch. I'm just saying that since the sensor is exposing that problem and we don't have control over the switch (hopefully Zooz fixes that), there are workarounds involving the sensor you can use to eliminate the double reports until Hubitat provides a native option to do the same. That should eliminate the appearance of the problem. This involes either moving the entire automation to Rule Machine or just manipulating a virtual "proxy" sensor in Rule Machine based on your real sensor (tracking recent state changes with a local variable so as to not do anything twice too fast) and using that sensor in the automation instead.

1 Like

Thanks. I'll try that this weekend before installing the new switch.

Just to clarify how the ZEN26 works - it uses a double relay to accommodate the 3-way solution and it relies on current readings to change the state. So if it receives duplicate commands in close proximity, it will behave as described above. That's not ideal but it may be a challenge to fully eliminate this through a software change. We found that in normal operation, this doesn't affect the connected lights but in automations where sensors send 2 reports at the same time (like the ZSE40 which sends a notification and basic_set report for motion), it can cause the sensor to change state and go back to off right away. With the changes Hubitat recently made to how sensors reports and the upcoming update for the ZSE40 report preference, most of the problems should be resolved but we'll continue to look for ways to make the switch more bullet-proof to duplicate automation triggers.