Light switch for Sylvania Lightify?

Hello,

A spend the last couple of hours reading multiple post but could not find a clear answer.

So I am planning on getting those lights

Sylvania Lightify 65W LED Smart Home Color/White Light Bulb (2 Pack)
(for some reason I could not post the link to it, I am looking at the recessed lights)

And in the product description it and Questions it states that they are not dimmable via switch. Do they mean with that a normal dim switch or does that also effect zigbee dim switches.

Could I connect the lights to the Hubitat and also controll them with something like this

RGBgenie ZigBee 3.0 RGBW Remote and Dimmer ZB-5008
(For some reason I could not post the link to it)

I dont know why, I saw links in other posts in the board here, but it is telling me I can't post links... So basically are there some kind of zigbee compatible switches out there that I could mount to the wall and then control the lights with it, instead of just using voice commands or the app

Thank you

If it's ZigBee yes to this.

Again yes and these are officially supported from memory.

It's just because your new. Once you have been around for a few days and read some stuff it will let you post. It stops trolls basically.

Yes to all your questions BUT be careful of mixing ZigBee lamps with other ZigBee products. Especially none ZigBee 3.0 ones, most lamps and especially osram/Sylvania are poor repeaters of anything other than them self's. This causes missed events when they crash out when they get overwhelmed. So to combat this you need to plan well, you could have only ZigBee lamps (this is what I ended up with by chance) and all other products z-wave. Alternatively you can build 2 ZigBee mesh networks, for this you would need 2 hubs one for the lamps and one for everything else (this is what I'm planning if I buy more stuff).
Last option is to ensure you only have decent ZigBee 3.0 lamps which in theory should be much better as it's then a standard more regimented protocol so they should work better. Unfortunately there is not many out there at the moment so it's not really been tested (I have brought a few but as I currently only have lamps it not a test).

That was my solution. Hubs are cheap. Mixing bulbs and other HA stuff is asking for trouble.

As mentioned above, the answer is "yes," but they really don't need to be Zigbee. Hubitat is a hub that can boss your lights around based on any sort of input: apps/automations, Dashboard, voice, and other devices, including switches/remotes/buttons--even if the "switch" (button/remote) is a different protocol, as long as Hubitat understands it. The RGBGenie you mentioned is one option, but a Hue Dimmer, Eria Remote, or Lutron Pico (Smart Bridge Pro required; this will be expensive for just one, but if you get a lot, Picos are cheap enough it may balance out) are a few of many others.

You can even use an in-wall switch with the relay/dimmer disabled if the device supports that but still sends event for button pushes. Scene switches like the new Inovelli LZW30-SN are a good choice, and most recent Zooz switches/dimmers will let you do the same. The bulbs are saying they can't be dimmed with a "regular" wall dimmer. It's also not a good idea to turn them off with a regular switch (you can't turn them back on via automation anymore). These switches overcome that limitation by disabling local control (so pressing the paddle doesn't really cut/restore power) while still sending button events to Hubitat. You could then set up an automation that turns the smart bulbs on when the top paddle is pushed and off when the bottom paddle is pushed, among other things (the scene-capable models support mulit-taps, so you can do, say, two taps up to change colors, or press and hold to brighten/dim).

Welcome to the Hubitat Community!

Heed the warnings about mixing lightbulbs with other Zigbee devices in the same Zigbee network (Hub). If you are in North America, then the best options for Zigbee bulbs is either a Hue Bridge with Hue and other compatible bulbs (That doesnโ€™t include Sylvania/OSRAM bulbs), then control it via the built-in Hur integration, or add a second Hubitat Elevation hub and isolate the bulbs from the other Zigbee devices. Control of the second hub is possible via the built-in apps Link to Hub and Hub Connect, but the community generally favors the community app HubConnect.

If you are in Europe, then the OSRAM bulbs are compatible with the Hue Bridge, so you have that additional option.

2 Likes

Nope there not in UK you can only join Philips stuff to their bridge :worried: and as we and Europe are tide in Electrical regs and standard I would assume it to be the same on the continent.

1 Like

Are you sure? Philips briefly experimented with allowing only Hue bulbs after a Bridge firmware update a couple years ago, but they quickly backtracked. Unless you're stuck on that version, this shouldn't be the case--but ZHA 1.2 bulbs will never work regardless for different reasons. (Dutch users at least report that this works, so unless they're doing something specific in the UK, I'm not sure why, unless you're just unable to find compatible bulbs, a different story...)

For sure European users have reported using OSRAM on a Hue bridge because they are ZLL in Europe, not ZHA like they are in the US and Canada (and Mexico?). Not sure about South America. Maybe the UK is different for some reason that doesn't make sense to us.

Generally the Hue Bridge works with anything ZLL or ZigBee 3.0 (supposedly, mixed reports from many users though) ..... I have Hue, Osram and Innr devices all working fine on my Hue Bridge.

The only thing that doesn't work with non-Hue devices on the Hue Bridge is HomeKit integration, Philips claim that they can only "offer" HomeKit integration for their own devices to ensure the "best customer experience".

But even then that's a grey-area because "Friends Of Hue" devices (which aren't made by Philips) are supported under the HomeKit integration ...... I just added a Nodon FOH switch which is pretty good (it's battery-less like the Hue Tap, but a proper switch format) and that shows up fine in HomeKit.

Yes last time I tried was few months ago but that's the whole reason I got the kit was to add the osrams. I spoke to their support and they said that was correct and they only allowed their devices :imp:. I tried everything to get them to pair but nothing and as soon as I turned on hubitat or the lightifiy gateway they jumped on 1st time

Was it just Osram? It's possible you have the ZHA firmware on them, which would be consistent with all the behavior you've observed. And unfortunately, they no longer allow crossgrading the firmware to the other version--one reason they're on my "do not buy" list. :slight_smile:

Yes

Nope me and @mike.maxwell did some debugging on them a while ago now and he also brought a UK osram version the same one I have to help test. All ours are LL and they work completely different to yours.
Colour pre staging doesn't work for over here for example ( on every manufacturer I have tested) the lamps flat our refuse to except a colour change unless they are already on. The standard isn't clear on what it should do with colour and can (and obviously is) be taken is different ways.
It's a right pain because none of the driver work correctly (they never worked that we'll on ST either but that's slower so you didn't notice as much) so you have to send a ON then do the colour change.

Tested this with osram (all different types) Philips hue GU10s and aurora GU10s. The standard driver's send the colour or temperature command then send ON. But ours just take the ON or the dim value.