Light sensor to recommend?

Hi,
I need a few light sensors, Zigbee or Z-wave. Most of what I can find is either not supported, recommended or very cheap. So if focus is on this one feature (don't need a multi sensor) which one(s) would you suggest? I already own a couple of HUE motion sensors today which works great, but if I can get away a bit cheaper would be nice. Thanks

I have only been running a couple of these for 2 weeks, so far so good. Community drivers available. Xiaomi Mijia Smart Light Sensor Detection Sensor Zigbee 3.0 GZCGQ01LM

4 Likes

Thanks! That may be a candidate, looks slick too :+1:

It's nice and small. My wife did not kill me when I stuck it to the wall in the kitchen.

1 Like

Do we know if the Xiaomi product above is susceptible to dropoffs on "standard" Zigbee networks like Hubitat? (I see this product claims Zigbee 3.0, which their newer products that bear a strong physical resemblance to the older ones also do, but I'm not sure if anyone has verified that those are immune yet, either.)

For lux sensors I have used, here are a few I've tried and wouldn't hesitate to recommend:

• the homemade environment sensor from a community member, which includes lux reporting (flexible power via USB; not pretty if you can't hide it somewhere; and I seem to recall reporting being pretty good)
  • the Dome DMMS-1 (wide range of readings, long battery life, also does motion, includes flexible magnetic mount, but seems to be discontinued)
  • the new-ish Inovelli 4-in-1 (good readings very similar to the Dome above; haven't had it long enough to comment on battery life)

Here are a few I have tried and would hesitate to recommend:

• the Zooz 4-in-1 (lux range is very narrow, basically only good for getting one person's idea of whether it might be "light enough," though it is indeed still usable if granularity a need)
  • the Aeon Multi 6 (mine chewed through batteries so I had to find somewhere I could USB-power this; I'm not saying I couldn't have had a chatty configuration setting set, but I tried to make it as reasonable as I could...)
  • whichever Xiaomi/Aqara motion sensor also reported lux (one didn't), as it only reported lux with motion (though, of course, if this is not a requirement for you, it would be fine--aside from well known Xiaomi pitfalls)

Others I'm aware of but have not tried so can't comment on include the Sensative Strips Comfort and Aeon's TriSensor (basically a pared down version of their Multi 6--hopefully it's better on batteries, because that's your only power option there!).

I also have a Hue motion sensor, but I'm playing around with it on Hue first before I try it on Hubitat. Some people seem to have bad luck with Hue products on Hubitat (e.g., the Dimmer), so I wanted to at least see how it worked elsewhere first.

And yeah, pretty much all of these are "multisensors" of some sort, the Strips aside. But you don't have to use those features or could set them to minimal or no reporting if the device or driver supports that if you want to minimize that impact.

2 Likes

I've got 4 of the Xiaomi Mijia light sensors and have been using them for about 2 months. 2 are still on my SmartThings, and 2 I've moved to Hubitat. They do really work great (so far).

1 Like

I am using this community driver Zigbee - Xiaomi Mijia Smart Light Sensor (Zigbee 3.0)

1 Like

Not cheap, but hides easily and works well enough

1 Like

I am unfamiliar with this? I guess this is the phenomena where units suddenly becomes unresponsive? So far I have never experienced that, and hopefully won't... :slight_smile:

I already have a few of these and love them. Been using them on HUE for years, now on HE with same good results so far. Solid performance and do what I expect from them. A bit pricey maybe.

Thanks! I have ordered a pair of these as you and others report them to work nicely. I hope I will have the same experience. :slight_smile: Again, thanks for reporting!

Great! Thanks for the link. I'll get them next week, and will now be ready to use them. :+1:

This one seems really nice as well, but maybe next time... Thanks!

Maybe? The issue is that many of these devices seem prone to "falling off" the Zigbee network, with the known culprit being "Xiaomi-unfriendly" repeaters, which is apparently most. Only a few are known to work well. This is documented in this thread, which I'd consider required reading for anyone who uses these:

That being said, some people have better luck than others, so with or without such repeaters, YMMV. But if YM is bad, I'd say that's a likely cause. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the insights. I will read this later, and may well explain what (I hope not) might happen.

Download the Hubitat app