Light Flashes When Something Opens

Can someone please provide me with step by step instructions on how to get this done? I have tried 5x different ways and cant get it to work.

I want a certain light to flash when the garage door or any door is opened, something simple like flash 3x and then leave it at the state it was in (either on or off)

@lunamanny714
1st the switch or the bulb has to support the flash command. To see if it does, go to that devices' page and see if there is a flash button. If there is, click it. Does the bulb flash? If not, change device. If so continue. Now remember bulbs are considered dimmers and switches. So regardless, just pick switch and the flash switch.

Cobra's Flasher app works well even if your lights don't support the flash command.

You have to setup an account to get access to his apps.

1 Like

If your bulb or switch doesn’t support flash, and you don’t want to install a 3rd party app, you can have a slow flash by just turning the bulb on and off multiple times, with a delay of a second or two between each. You could use toggle rather than on and off to return the bulb to its prior state.

1 Like

There is also @bptworld's The Flasher

Why does the generic Zwave switch driver support flash, but so few of the device specific drivers? When I see it in the generic driver it makes me think it's part of the Zwave standard.

2 Likes

Because the driver is "generic" it's used for multiple brands/models. The options are present for those that support the functions and simply don't work for those that don't. As said, press flash on the device page. If it works, great! If not it just means the bulb/switch doesn't support it.

And yet, my Zooz Zen22 does flash just fine with the generic driver, but it isn't available in the HE Zooz Central Scene driver, or the community Advanced Zen driver.

1 Like

Agree - @bptworld 's The Flasher is a good option, and once you install it you'll find it useful generally.

Perfect, I have the rule set but how can I have it return to the state it was on before? Say it was on, would want it to flash 5 times and then stay on or vice versa.

If I try this method, how do I get it to stop? I really just want it to flash 3x to grab my attention and that is about it.

I do something extremely similar, triggered by a movement sensor in the Hallway, activating an extremely cheap LED light strip that's in my office. Easily done by RM

When the sensor is activated, I capture the current state, flash the light for 5 seconds, then restore the state. It works great

2 Likes

“If your bulb or switch doesn’t support flash, and you don’t want to install a 3rd party app, you can have a slow flash by just turning the bulb on and off multiple times, with a delay of a second or two between each. You could use toggle rather than on and off to return the bulb to its prior state. …”

1 Like

I am pretty close to what I need it do, but I want the bulb or switch to stay at the previous setting (on or off) so once the flashing is complete, if the lights were on, they stay on and if the lights were off then the lights stay off.

See here...

1 Like

Can you show me the steps on the rule machine? Mine flashes then turns off, if it was off already then I do not mind, but if it was off then it will be annoying.

I already did, in the post I linked to. But here it is again

1 Like

I set this rule up but the light will turn off and not restore to its previous state? I would like it if the light was on then it will stay on after the flash is complete and vice versa.

I think you need Capture: My Shower Room Light at the beginning of the actions, before the Flash.

That was it, thank you!

What, you didn't like my answer?! :wink: :grinning:

1 Like