Life360 Missing member

So I setup life360 integration but when I go to select the members in Hubitat it is only showing 1 person, when there are 2 users in the circle. The member that is working is on an iPhone 6s with latest IOS update. The member that does not show up is on a Pixel 2 XL with Android 9 Pie. Anyone else experience this before?

You mean only one member showing in the drop down menu? Be sure you select the correct, circle and place.

Correct, I only have 1 circle. I also double checked the Life360 app on my Pixel and it shows that I am in that circle.

Very strange indeed. Maybe give support a shout and see if they can help.
Just in case. Here's the link to the steps for Life360 integration.

https://support.hubitat.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000161971-Connecting-to-Life-360

Yeah it is odd because this was a clean install of the app and it finds the circle, place and the other member without issues. I do have location sharing off, but I would imagine that should not matter. I may have to contact support. Thanks.

Edit: It looks like that was it, I had location sharing off. I turned it off because I do not want a history of where I go, I just want presence detection. If someone from the HE team can comment if this the intended way this works with Hubitat or is there a way to use it with only presence detection.

1 Like

I don't think there's a way for HE to use presence or any apps if you are not sharing your location.

Call me crazy but I do not like the idea of life360 having a history of every single place I have been and also both my wife and I have no need to see exactly where we are at all times. With the ST mobile app it just detected presence, there was no location history tracking, and although it wasn't the best, it did work most of the time. Since there is no Hubitat app I have no choice to use life360 if I want presence based trigger.

Really I just need mobile presence, nothing more. If there is another option other then life360 for Hubitat I am willing to try that also.

1 Like

Homebridge is an option if you have Apple phones.

1 Like

Sharptools is another option for android.

My wife uses an iPhone, mainly because group messages from iPhone to Android devices do not work. But I have a Pixel 2 XL, so unfortunately that would not work.

I was looking at SharpTools because I am using their dashboard, but the Android app does not support Hubitat as of yet, only ST.

Originally I though Life360 would work great because I could add additional family members so that if both my wife and I leave, away mode would still not trigger if another family member is present.

You could still use ST presence for Hubitat by linking the device with hub link.

If your phone’s location services are turned on, isn’t there a history of every single place you’ve been stored somewhere anyway?

I have location history turned off. Not to say there is still some tracking done, but I do not need to give even more companies access.

I tend to agree. I actually tried to keep the Life360 app from doing the location sharing thing at first, but it quickly became apparent the presence sensing doesn’t work without it.

Since it’s the only option right now, and I want automations triggered by mobile presence, I turned it back on :man_shrugging:.

Hmm fat fingered the delete button.

Just wanted to point out tasker as an option.

There are also numerous fobs we support that provide presence, the iris model is even a button controller.

@raidflex I just thought of another option for Hubitat Location Services - IFTTT. I have not tried it extensively, but IFTTT does offer a Location (Geofence) Service that can be used as a trigger to a Hubitat Action. The IFTTT/Hubitat integration does not support changing the status of a Virtual Presence Device within Hubitat. However, with a little imagination you can use a Virtual Presence Driver that also supports the Switch Capability as shown below. This allows IFTTT to turn on the 'switch' when you arrive home, and turn off the 'switch' when you leave. As you can see in the driver, the on() and off() commands will also change the status of the 'presence' attribute to 'present' and 'not present' respectively.

I have not tested how reliable/fast the IFTTT Location/Geofence service/trigger is. So, YMMV. I have no idea if IFTTT keeps any sort of history of your location if you turn this on.

/**
 *  Virtual Presence with Switch
 *  Copyright 2018 Daniel Ogorchock
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 *  Change History:
 *    Date        Who            What
 *    ----        ---            ----
 *    2018-08-04  Dan Ogorchock  Original Creation
 */

metadata {
	definition (name: "Virtual Presence with Switch", namespace: "ogiewon", author: "Daniel Ogorchock") {
		capability "Sensor"
		capability "Presence Sensor"
        capability "Switch"
	}   
}

def on() {
    sendEvent(name: "presence", value: "present")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on")
}

def off() {
    sendEvent(name: "presence", value: "not present")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off")
}

def installed() {
}
2 Likes

Good point Dan! IFTTT is actually a pretty decent geofence. If you combine IFTTT geofencing with one of the routers that support arrival/departure (connect/disconnect) via IFTTT, similar to what I've done with HomeKit and IFTTT, you have a really reliable presence detection setup.

I used to use IFTTT geolocation alone to disarm my iSmart Alarm when one of us arrived home, it had the unattended consequence of making a slight double-beep when the applet ran, even if the alarm was already disarmed. My daughter soon learned that that meant one of us were just turning the corner and it gave her advanced warning. :joy:

2 Likes

I didn't even think about IFTTT for presence, this is also a good idea. I imagine also when the HE mobile app comes out at some point it will have presence.

I tried to use IFTTT’s geofence with sensibo in an applet to control my a/c and I found it to be pretty bad, but that was a couple years ago since I’ve been using ST (and now Life360 with HE) for presence-based automations ever since.

Has the IFTTT geofence improved since then?