Leviton VRMX1-1LZ Instant Status, Driver?

I recently moved from Wink to Hubitat C7, and I have a bunch of Leviton VRMX1 dimmers which are the older zwave (not plus) RF+ dimmers. Instant status does work with these on the Wink, but I am not seeing it work with Hubitat. I've tried a few different drivers...

Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer (what Hubitat sets by default, only refresh, no poll)
Generic Z-Wave dimmer (this driver does show a poll function)
Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer (only refresh, no poll)
Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave DImmer (only refresh, no poll)

I am curious if anyone has a custom driver for the VRMX1-1LZ dimmers or if I am just SOL and should use the poller app?

Is there any real downside to using the poller app?

I also have some VP00R-1LZ dimmers and have the same questions...

The common advice is that you'll need to poll. But only poll the devices you really need and not very often because it will slow down the zwave mesh and HE. Also disable or slow down any power monitoring if the devices do that.

I have a few of these also, and did get some working. I'll check into the driver situation when I get home later...

Levition's Z-Wave implementation was never certified, probably never even submitted for certification. I've got about 70 Leviton dimmers, but only a few of them are VRMX with "instant" reporting. This all dates back to the Lutron patent on instant reporting dimmers, which Leviton did have a license for. They used the Hail command, which was supposed to prompt the controller to ask for a basic report from the device, thus yielding "instant" response. All of this has since gone by the wayside...

1 Like

Did you happen to check which driver it was?

Still running it down. There is an unpublished driver, but I can't tell if it works at the moment. I will continue to investigate this -- haha, out of common interest with you. I bought these VRMX dimmers because I needed the functionality to work...

Same!

I am just beginning the process of migrating form Smartthings over to Hubitat and noticed a problem of my dashboard not updating when one of the VRMX1-1LZ switches turn on or off. Any chance of a driver update to support these switches, I have about 60 throughout the house!?

Out of curiosity did you happen to find a driver for these VRMX dimmers?

I did, but I haven't gotten around to testing them yet. Been sort of busy. But, I will ask our Z-Wave doctor about it right now....

1 Like

It's funny you should say that but I have a bunch of these VRMX1 dimmers, as well as the older VRI06 ones, and couldn't get instant status to work with any of the supplied drivers. Until, today i set them all back to the "Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave DImmer" driver, and instant status works.

It's enough to make me think I'm going crazy - I could have sworn I tried that driver when first setting up my C7 (migrating from vera)...

Don't have instant status working on any of the Leviton Vizia RF switches yet though...

Did your Z-Wave doctor have anything to say? Or should we try to follow GTA's advice?

I was definitely confused about the Vizia RF switches - instant status does work on them, when using the "Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch driver".

My confusion was through having a mix of similar-looking devices... the one genuine Leviton Vizia RF switch I have (VRS15-1LZ) works as described . I also have a Leviton Decora series switch (DZS15?) which simply doesn't support instant status at all. It's visibly identical to the VRS15 until removing the faceplate to see the label, hence my confusion.

Also have a couple of ancient Monster-branded switches (made by Leviton, but older than the Vizia RF series) which do send some kind of status update, but not recognized by the driver...

For the dimmers, the DZ6HD driver is still working fine for me...

Hi there,
Has anyone had any luck getting the VRS15-1LZ to report physical changes instantly? I've read multiple threads, and am at a total loss.

Coming from Vera, then Smartthings, both handled these sorts of switches just fine. Now migrating and I'm learning that a lot of hardwired infrastructure in 15-20 switches may be of little use as I tend to use mirror/rules/webcore for much of my automation interactions, tieing things together and using rules for time of day, etc. etc...

Thanks,
Jonathan

Which driver are you using currently?

I’ve tried 3 drivers:
Generic Z-Wave central scene switch
Generic Z-Wave Switch
Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch

None seem to give me device feedback which then trigger rules/mirrors...

Also playing into this, I suspect there may be two (or more) different generations of VRS15 devices in the wild as the hail line in the logs is present for one device on both the physical real and remote switch (3-way setups) and not on the other I’m experimenting with. That’s a strange one for sure. More investigation to be done there.

Thanks!

Try the "Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave DImmer" driver - that's the only one which worked for me, to get the instant status.

Opening an old thread. I have two VRMX1-1L's in two high traffic areas - kitchen and breakfast room. One with one slave and the other with two slaves. They have been working fine for years using the Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch Dimmer. They are not dimmers but Hubitat was picking up the on/off status fine. In the last two weeks instant status stopped working on both switches. They still respond fine to commands. I am assuming a recent hub update broke it as I can't imagine both switches failing at the same time?

I have tried the Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave DImmer and it doesn't work. I think I tried it originally when I moved these switches from another hub and it didn't work then,

I don't see any activity in debug mode when I turn the switch on and off manually. Is there anyone else anyone can think of to test before I go down the path of replacing them?

One other thing I thought of doing is moving them from my Hubitat C5 to my C7. Not sure that would make any difference either? Thanks.

Have you tried z-wave poller?

Thanks, I hadn’t used Poller but I just tried it and I get nothing. As I understand poller it just checks the status every so often so no good for triggering rules from the switch - which I was doing.

What is weird is that this was working and I was getting instant status on these switches up until very recently. I can’t explain why they both stopped reporting. But my results were completely different from the other posters - mine worked only with the generic smart switch driver not with the Leviton driver. Seems like I was on borrowed time!

Lutron Caseta because they just work...:stuck_out_tongue: