Leviton DZS15 switches not updating status when physically turned on or off

As @aaiyar pointed out, z-wave and zigbee are patented as well. That said they are in use by a lot of people here on Hubitat, ST, and Apple. Why? Because as I said, they're tanks and just work. Lutron has been in the lighting game for many years and theirs is a mature technology. (Called Clear Connect). The difference for one between them and others is instead of mesh, they are a spoke and hub technology. Their PICO's cannot be beat, especially with an average price of $15.00 and the fact if you want you can mount them exactly like a switch. Not sure how Lutron will support matter given their current tech. But as said we all run a mix... No perfect smarthome can be achieved with one protocol....

1 Like

Yes, that sounds more closer to what I meant to say. Specifically, I don't want a separate hub to control the Lutron devices. Zwave and zigbee devices typically connect to any hub that speaks the same. With that said, I'm not exactly following this religiously. I have quite a few other things that have their own hubs at home. That includes quite a few Yolink water sensors, a garage door controller, a smart door lock to mention a few. Things can get out of hand with this smart home stuff.

A lot of us use multiple hubs (including multiple hubitats). Hubitat directly controls lutron via telnet with the built in Lutron integrator. A lot of us also hue bridges for really crappy zigby ZLL 1.2 bulbs as you don't want those on the same network as ziigbee ZHA devices (sensors and what not) as they make really bad repeaters and should be on their own mesh. We control those devices directly with either the built in Hue integrator or Some use multiple hubitats with hubmesh enabled... Then now we're starting to add homekit to our networks.

Just found this thread. Did this ever get fixed?

I have 5 of the older Leviton DZS15, one which is connected to a bathroom fan, which would shut off after 20min. It no longer does because it does not report its' physical status to the Hub. It can be turned on and off through Hubitat. I thought the switch was malfunctioning so I excluded it and reset it and re-included it. Same issue. Just checked and all of my older DZS15 switches no longer report their state. Z-Wave Poller does not seem to poll these devices. I think, but am not sure, that this was happening with my C5 (just upgraded to C8).

Any help appreciated.

Frank

What driver/type do you have them set for? From the sounds of it they are non-plus devices, can you confirm?

Correct- they are the older non-plus devices.

They install with the Generic Z-Wave Switch. Z-Wave Polling does not work for any of them. I tried changing to the Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch - still did not report status.

When I initially installed them, years ago, they certainly did report their status correctly, However, for some time now, I have found my bathroom fan running, long after it should have stopped. I never gave it much thought until I upgraded my C5 to a C8. Initially, I thought the bathroom fan switch got corrupted but it turned out that all of these switches were no longer reporting their status. That's why I think something changed within Hubitat.

So they are selectable to Poll from the app but it doesn't refresh them?
If you just click Poll/Refresh on the device page does it refresh them?

Try turning on debug logging and then click Poll/Refresh and see if anything gets logged.

They are selectable on the Generic Z-Wave Switch.

If I hit Refresh on the device page it updates the status change to physical presses on the device page. As well, it incorrectly logs the physical status change as digital. However, if I hit Poll the status change is correctly logged as physical.!

How to I get it to continually/automatically correctly refresh status?

So it sounds like just the poller app is broken?
Click the gear icon next to the app and go to Scheduled Jobs, it should have something scheduled for the polling.

Have you tried deleting that app and installing again?

Also, you could just setup a Rule Machine rule to poll at whatever frequency you want using Refresh or Poll, whatever option works better.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help!!!

The Poller App seems to be broken, as no Scheduled Jobs exist. I uninstalled the Poller App, rebooted, re-installed the Poller App - still no jobs scheduled. I never had to use it in the past, so I don't know if it ever did work with these switches. Hubitat might want to look into the cause, but I suspect most users won't have these old switches, or if they do, realize there is a problem.

I'm kind of embarrassed that I did not think of using Rule Machine to set up periodic polling, and I didn't even know that it could. A few simple clicks and Rule Machine seems to be polling regularly as reflected on the Device page and in the logs.

Again, many thanks!

Small update in case anyone else has this issue: periodic polling, though it detected physical switch changes and showed them correctly on both the Device Page and the logs, it did not allow my Basic Rule (to turn the switch off after 20 min) to run. Changing to periodic refreshing of the switch, however, worked perfectly and the Hubitat runs the way it did before. I don't know why this was all needed, but am happy I don't have to replace a bunch of switches!

Again thanks to jtp1081 for all the assistance!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.