Leviton DZS15 switches not updating status when physically turned on or off

Yes, I did.

What do you see in the data field for the switch?

Should look something like this:

• deviceId: 1
  • deviceType: 13313
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x85,0x59,0x86,0x72,0x70,0x5A,0x73,0x25,0x20,0x27,0x2C,0x2B,0x7A
  • manufacturer: 29
  • outClusters: 0x82
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 00 04 10 01 5E 85 5C 59 86 72 70 5A 73 25 20 27 2C 2B 7A EF 82 68 23
4 Likes

I'm seeing the same behavior as user3849 with a DZS15. Used the drivers Generic Z-Wave Switch and Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch. Hit configure after each change.

Physical button presses do not register.

My Data field looks like:

• deviceId: 820
  • deviceType: 7170
  • inClusters: 0x25,0x27,0x2B,0x2C,0x72,0x86,0x91,0x77,0x73
  • manufacturer: 29
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 9C 00 04 10 03 25 27 2B 2C 72 86 91 77 73 68 23

Thanks!

@cbelcher Not z-wave plus so won't report back properly and will need the poller app installed.

As @dennypage reminded me earlier these should support Hail which gave similar reporting functionality before zw+

1 Like

@cbelcher @user3849

Look at this thread. It talks about non z-wave plus devices.

My apologies, I think Rick is right and I was wrong.

I had been mentally thinking "DZ15S" instead of "DZS15". I've lots of hands on experience with the former, and none with the latter.

The certification doc for the DZS15 says that it does have Hail, but the doc may simply be incorrect. The doc also doesn't list any supported command classes other than "Hail" and "Manufacturer Proprietary" which obviously cannot be true.

A quick update to all who have been so helpful.

1. I've put a pause on trying to update the firmware on these switches after trying 3 different ways. Something's gotta give and this time it was me.
  2. I've paired all my switches to the hub and I am also using the zwave poller app to poll all of 30+ of them
  3. I've enabled some of my most essential Webcore automations as well as Alexa integration

I am impressed with how fast the interactions work compared to when I was using SmartThings and also Wink at some point. I asked Alexa to turn off the lights for one entire floor and this thing is getting it done within 1 second! This is crazy and I am so happy to have made the switch.

Thank you all for your help.
Julio

5 Likes

Glad you got it going. I would slowly replace your switches when you can. Honestly if you want lightning fast and rock solid, I would move up to Lutron Caseta... They're tanks. And you get to use PICO's!!!

2 Likes

I was at lowes the othe day and noticed they have a display on these switches. These are indeed the best looking smart switches I've seen. It's unfortunate they use yet another patented technology for the connection part. I might wait a while and stick with these until the smart home technologies settle down a bit and settle on a standard or something close to it. The "Matter" standard sounds promising, but it's still too early.

FWIW, zwave and zigbee are also patented. Perhaps you meant proprietary? That’s true, but Lutron have ensured that other HA systems can interact with their Caséta, RA2 Select, and Radio RA2 systems via a published/documented telnet protocol.

1 Like

As @aaiyar pointed out, z-wave and zigbee are patented as well. That said they are in use by a lot of people here on Hubitat, ST, and Apple. Why? Because as I said, they're tanks and just work. Lutron has been in the lighting game for many years and theirs is a mature technology. (Called Clear Connect). The difference for one between them and others is instead of mesh, they are a spoke and hub technology. Their PICO's cannot be beat, especially with an average price of $15.00 and the fact if you want you can mount them exactly like a switch. Not sure how Lutron will support matter given their current tech. But as said we all run a mix... No perfect smarthome can be achieved with one protocol....

1 Like

Yes, that sounds more closer to what I meant to say. Specifically, I don't want a separate hub to control the Lutron devices. Zwave and zigbee devices typically connect to any hub that speaks the same. With that said, I'm not exactly following this religiously. I have quite a few other things that have their own hubs at home. That includes quite a few Yolink water sensors, a garage door controller, a smart door lock to mention a few. Things can get out of hand with this smart home stuff.

A lot of us use multiple hubs (including multiple hubitats). Hubitat directly controls lutron via telnet with the built in Lutron integrator. A lot of us also hue bridges for really crappy zigby ZLL 1.2 bulbs as you don't want those on the same network as ziigbee ZHA devices (sensors and what not) as they make really bad repeaters and should be on their own mesh. We control those devices directly with either the built in Hue integrator or Some use multiple hubitats with hubmesh enabled... Then now we're starting to add homekit to our networks.

Just found this thread. Did this ever get fixed?

I have 5 of the older Leviton DZS15, one which is connected to a bathroom fan, which would shut off after 20min. It no longer does because it does not report its' physical status to the Hub. It can be turned on and off through Hubitat. I thought the switch was malfunctioning so I excluded it and reset it and re-included it. Same issue. Just checked and all of my older DZS15 switches no longer report their state. Z-Wave Poller does not seem to poll these devices. I think, but am not sure, that this was happening with my C5 (just upgraded to C8).

Any help appreciated.

Frank

What driver/type do you have them set for? From the sounds of it they are non-plus devices, can you confirm?

Correct- they are the older non-plus devices.

They install with the Generic Z-Wave Switch. Z-Wave Polling does not work for any of them. I tried changing to the Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch - still did not report status.

When I initially installed them, years ago, they certainly did report their status correctly, However, for some time now, I have found my bathroom fan running, long after it should have stopped. I never gave it much thought until I upgraded my C5 to a C8. Initially, I thought the bathroom fan switch got corrupted but it turned out that all of these switches were no longer reporting their status. That's why I think something changed within Hubitat.

So they are selectable to Poll from the app but it doesn't refresh them?
If you just click Poll/Refresh on the device page does it refresh them?

Try turning on debug logging and then click Poll/Refresh and see if anything gets logged.

They are selectable on the Generic Z-Wave Switch.

If I hit Refresh on the device page it updates the status change to physical presses on the device page. As well, it incorrectly logs the physical status change as digital. However, if I hit Poll the status change is correctly logged as physical.!

How to I get it to continually/automatically correctly refresh status?

So it sounds like just the poller app is broken?
Click the gear icon next to the app and go to Scheduled Jobs, it should have something scheduled for the polling.

Have you tried deleting that app and installing again?

Also, you could just setup a Rule Machine rule to poll at whatever frequency you want using Refresh or Poll, whatever option works better.

1 Like