Let's talk thermostats and house comfort

Hahaha...that used to be one of my old webcore pistons. If temp was ever raised above 70 I didn't wait...I immediately set it back down to 70. I like the boost idea and I think a google home phrase for the boost will actually keep someone from punching in a temp at the tstat.

BTW this is by FAR my favorite. SImple and probably the most energy efficient of all! :rofl:

1 Like

Lol, brutal. Well, it's for me too ... I mean, when I come back in from lawn mowing or something, I wanna stand under a vent and have cold air blasted at me for a while!

I have one also. I did find and "touch" a driver for it but didn't test much... because I'm like a lot here.. I let the thermostat run it's program.

This driver has been called "a mess" and while I don't disagree, for my needs, it's working. On the other hand, the "boost" cycle would be nice and I don't know if this driver does that easily. I'll have to experiment this weekend.

Ah makes sense. Yeah that is a problem. The only way I could think of doing it is a combination of the Amazon Alexa and some virtual switches. You could create switches for each person for each location and act on them. But that of course requires an alexa, multiple accounts, the app on each phone and a bunch of logic.

I tried this one awhile back, didn't work well for how I use it. All of my temps are based on mode changes, so I use the Permanent Hold setting rather then schedules. This driver doesn't set Permanent Hold when you send it temp commands, so it will resume some default schedule at some point and start changing setpoints. I probably should replace my TCC thermostat with a "dumb" Z-Wave t-stat since I don't use schedules, that would bring it under local control.

It does that through the Honeywell Mobile App too.

It will say "Following Schedule" and if you tap the up or down it will say "Hold until..." and indicate what time the current period ends.

I have always thought this was the one dumb thermostat I need :smiley: I'm happy with the embedded schedule it uses.. 7 day, 4 periods per day. I'm not trying to get all my eggs in one basket and so I'm OK with the Thermostat having it's own schedule. (Same with my outdoor lawn and garden sprinkler system, by the way.) But it's missing any automation for season changes.. Heat to off to cool to off. (Winter, spring, summer, fall.) That driver does work for those changes.

1 Like

Ecobee question,

I like the Ecobee multiple sensor concept but balk at having it connected to Ecobee servers.

Is it possible to control with HE using the local router - WiFi connection?

John

IFTTT does the permanent hold, so that's what I've been using.

1 Like

HE connects to Ecobee’s cloud. Not a direct WiFi connection. HomeKit is the only way to control Ecobee 100% locally.

My understanding is the Ecobee remote sensors are not Zigbee and use a different frequency. They will not connect to HE directly. That leaves them to connect to the Ecobee base thermostat and then that thermostat interfaces with HE via WiFi and exposes the remote sensors to HE. I don't think you can take the base Ecobee (and it's cloud interactions with the Ecobee servers) out of that process.

easier to just use other temp sensors that may be around the house?

1 Like

Cloud of IFTTT vs Cloud of TCC.. you're probably making the right call. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@JohnRob - John is your question around local Wi-Fi control of the thermostat, or is it around using Wi-Fi connections as presence detection?

Local control.

My Ideal situation would be:

1. Ecobee uses its remote sensors to average / control the temperature
  2. HE could control the Ecobee without going through any cloud servers
  3. Ecobee servers are never involved / connected / etc

OK, so you cannot do that without HomeKit and you cannot connect to HomeKit without connecting to Ecobee servers. Control of the thermostat via HomeKit continues to function if cloud connectivity is not available, but it must be connected to setup HomeKit in the first place.

Not sure if you can disconnect from the Ecobee cloud without disrupting the HomeKit connection. Have never tried. So while it is possible to do this, it's not feasible if you're not an iOS/HomeKit users and it required either an iPad or an Apple TV to do HomeKit automation with HE. Choices would be limited too.

I have very few problems with the Ecobee cloud service, so I wouldn't be concerned with reliability issues. If it's cloud you want to avoid out of principal, then Ecobee isn't the right thermostat for you.

Alright, this discussion is right up my alley. I am trying to flee Vera to Hubitat but struggling with getting the same functionality in my heating setup. Here is what I currently use and do on Vera:

I have a holiday cabin. In that cabin I have several rooms, and other smaller houses, each with their own temperature probe and each with their own electric heater, connected to a Fibaro wall plug. The only exception is 2 rooms that have one temperature probe and 2 heaters on 2 wall plugs. Each of these rooms has a Virtual Thermostat.

When I leave the cabin, I put my Virtual Thermostat on Eco, which means I maintain a set temperature on each of the rooms, set in the respective Thermostat. The rooms and house will cool down to this temperature and the heaters will turn on when needed to keep the temp.

Before I am scheduled to arrive, I have a Google calendar entry that is read by a agent that then changes the Virtual Thermostats to their Home mode, thus raising the temperature.

Then I also have another setting, which is the following: If the outside temperature is more than 6° c, then I turn off the heaters for the night, between 1 am and 6 am. At 6 am they start heating again to Home mode. If the outside temperature is lower than 6°, I leave the heaters on for the night at home temperature.

This setup has managed to save me more than 30% on my electric bill due to better management than simply lowering the temperature on all the heaters, but also better regulate the heating.

that all looks very doable using just RM rules. If you are using the same temps in all the locations with even fewer rules. A virtual switch for "leaving" can run the rules to turn down the heatingset point. Then a simple rule for outside temp and time of day and whether your "leaving" virtual switch is on for the 1am to 6am cut. Just have to work it out but should be pretty simple.

Have Nest here, and TRVs in the upstairs rooms, as the upstairs gets far warmer then down.
Have it set on a schedule, and if the rooms upstairs get above 22, then the TRVs get lowered accordingly by RM, for each room.

Have a virtual switch for those cold times via IFTTT and Alexa, to "Boost the heating" which sets the Nest to 25, and then turns off after an hour. Same for the "Boost the Hotwater" (Nest 3rd Gen) hotwater is separate to the heating.

Its working really well.

I have a the usual schedule with an override for the away setting for when the kids are on break or teacher wife is home for the summer.

I have one temp/humidity sensor in our west facing living room with a wall of windows. I use that to adjust the thermostat setting during times we are likely to be in the living room.

summer if it is above 76 in the living room it drops the setting 1deg/half hour. same for humidity above x (max 2 deg change)

winter if it is below 66 in the living room raise temp 1deg/half hour. In case she has the fireplace on or the sun comes out lower the temperature 1deg/half hour if temp goes above 68. of course all automatic adjustments have limits to the range they can adjust between.

next is to add a booster fan to the one room that is far from the furnace and too many windows/outside walls. Switch boost fan on when heating or cooling.

I think I saw newer posts of yours indicating you've moved to a different thermostat, but I use a Honeywell WiFi via TCC and this temporary hold thing was driving me crazy. Using developer tools in their portal I compared parameters with what the driver is sending and believe we only need to change HeatNextPeriod = '1' into HeatNextPeriod = '2' (and same for CoolNextPeriod.) I quickly tested this and it seems to work. Will submit the pull request for this.

I know this relies on cloud, but hopefully this makes the plethora of Honeywells out there usable for folks migrating to HE.

1 Like