Let's talk creative uses for temperature and humidity sensors

I have an ecobee installed with remote sensors in every room. I kick on the bedroom fan for bedtime if the temperature is above a certain value (76). I turn it off at 3AM if it has cooled below a certain threshold (76) and if not I turn it off at 10AM.

1 Like

Nothing too complicated about these but they are my favorites!

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.31.02 PM
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 12.30.51 PM

2 Likes

The fan's wiring is pretty easily accessible so I just wired in a basic Sonoff switch. We never adjusted the fan speed before anyway.

1 Like

I use Ambient Weather temperature sensors via the Ecowitt Weather Gateway driver to automate my whole house fan.

1 Like

What did you use to monitor the hot tub?

I use temperature and humidity sensors to control my HVAC via indoor dew-point rather than temperature alone.

This has really raised indoor comfort and saved money, because a particular dewpoint can be reached by either decreasing humidity or decreasing temperature. With a two-stage heat-pump, during cooling, running in Stage 1 costs less money and primarily dehumidifies. Whereas running in Stage 2 costs more and cools rapidly. Using a Hubitat-controlled thermostat that permits staging, my automations determine whether it would be desirable to reduce humidity (the major choice in Away mode) or reduce temperature (the major choice in Sleep mode) to achieve the desired dewpoint. In Home mode, it starts out in Stage 1. If the desired dewpoint isn't reached within 20 minutes, it shifts to Stage 2.

5 Likes

As a hobbyist cheesemaker, I use a bunch of the Aqara Temp/Humidity sensors for monitoring conditions while drying, ripening, and aging my cheeses. Of course I watch the overall temperature and humidity of the "cave" and have alerts for out-of-bounds readings, but the best thing is the small size of the sensors allows each cheese to get its own. I can have multiple cheeses of different styles, each in its own container, with different temp. and humidity requirements, in the same fridge.

3 Likes

I use a z-wave temp sensor (Homeseer brand, but any would work) to monitor the temperature inside my backup generator. Tells me whether the generator has kicked on in the event of a power outage, and turned itself off after power restored. The latter is actually the most useful as we had a series of power fluctuations that tripped a breaker on the transfer switch, causing the generator to continue running once after the mains power was restored. Doesn't really hurt anything, we found, but at the current price of LP it sure hits the wallet.

1 Like

My offering here is nothing new.... A humidity sensor in my garage used with a Kasa smart plug to run a dehumidifier when it gets humid, using Ernie's Smarter Humidity Fan Community App. As an added extra, I use the switch option in the app, then use the Energy Monitoring of my Kasa plug to monitor for lower power usage than expected, triggering a non-committal notification that the Dehumidifier "may be full". Also using @bertabcd1234 's notification proxy, unrelated to this topic, but another great option for those running multiple HE hubs.... I just need to use it more than I do....

That... is.... awesome! Sorry to go off topic a tad but I've only made non-aged Mozz and Paneer as they are kind of "the low hanging fruit" of the cheese world.

I am also looking at making pickles... not sure there is much in the way of anything "smart" needed though - maybe moisture sensor to detect overflows, also temp checking to make sure environment is consistent.

Interesting what you can do with smart devices, thanks for posting this!

3 Likes

An ecowitt hub and temperature probe. Works great, integration is 100% local, thank you again @sburke781.

1 Like

Just holding the baton for those who have gone before.... :slight_smile: Happy to assist where I can.... slowly starting to appreciate to scale of what I have taken on.....

2 Likes

Which temp probe? Do you have a link?

In the beginning, I wanted to make better cottage cheese than I could get in the grocery store. A couple of months later I had presses, molds, a freezer full of bacteria cultures that probably looks like something out of @aaiyar 's lab, and a large Igloo cooler with an Inova sous vide cooker fitted in it for precise temp. control of eight gallon batches. Needless to say, I have a very understanding wife.

2 Likes

ecowitt has three different water temperature sensors, shown below. All available on Amazon. And they need the ecowitt wifi gateway (about $30) to integrate with Hubitat.

1 Like

Thanks! Just ordered the WN36. We have a swim spa on order so this will help with monitoring temps and setting up alerts. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Where were you during the various dryer notification discussions. I bet that ecowitt water probe would work inside a dryer. Would know exactly when the dryer is done based on temp.

It isn't rated to work at those temperatures. Ecowitt's probes are rated for ~140℉. My dryer reaches ~170-180℉. Maybe if I update to one of the newer heat-pump dryers ....

Will I'm sure my sonoff temp/humidity sensor is even more delicate but it's attached to the inside door of my dryer.

Although the more I think about it a probe and whatever is inside the Sonoff are probably different types of temp monitoring tech.

I was recently asked by a friend who runs a series of small - medium retails outlets, to make up a system which would monitor the fridges and freezers in those retail outlets.
Coincidentally, I also noticed the Xfinity rebranding of the Visonic MCT-350, and it's low price on ebay. So, I purchased a few lots.
The real advantage of these sensors is that they can report on a fridge/freezer door open AND if the temperature has risen outside of parameters.
I made up a small Hubitat system with these sensors, and put it into one of his retail establishments.
I even put one into the door of his walk in freezer which has a 5 inch thick metal door.
We shall see if these sensors stand up to the rigors of a small commercial establishment.
I will keep this posted on my progress.

P.S. As a test, I also put these sensors into my home fridges/freezers, and so far they have been reporting accurately and completely, but it's still early.

1 Like