Let's Set The Course of... Rooms

That's good to hear. And a good suggestion. backed up by @JasonJoel 's post and my own opinions (most importantly :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

I agree you idea does have merit. Thank you for posting. It is most unfortunate for users here to have such an experience, I agree though that I have seen it before.

Here is hoping your idea gets some reflection.

2 Likes

The concept of zones as Hue would label them is certainly something I would like to see...

I want to find @thebearmay 's contributions in this space, but can't find them in recent posts..... such a shame.... Anyway, hopefully the additional data elements will provide some of the requests made here already, obviously with the need for internal systems to make use of these.

Here is that post:

1 Like

I was thinking more of the device attributes drivers and associated drivers...,but all links welcome. Don't worry, I'll find it eventually...

2 Likes

If I am going to be pedantic, I would ask @aaiyar, @pfmiller, @Inge_Jones, @bptworld, @moh, @672southmain to claim their allegiance to @JasonJoel 's suggestions as I interpret them:

• Capability driven groups such as battery devices
  • Rooms as they currently stand
  • Tags
3 Likes

Are you saying that the hub's software should automatically recognise capability grouping, otherwise it's just another tag. Wasn't sure why Rooms need be a special case either? To me it's just another additional or alternative way of categorising

true, I'm proposing, like others (I think), that capabilities are a group / room all of their own.

1 Like

I'd prefer a truly flexible tagging system where tags can be used as primary and secondary sort and collapse indices. Isn't it easier to implement as well? However I could live with the way you summarised as long as tags can be used as filters in the UI

No comment :slight_smile:

Tempting as it may be, I'll draw the line here....

(Except to say :wink: ) It seems like tags are a thing....

1 Like

Yes anyway I was already agreeing with Jason's in my first post in the thread, which sounds more instinctive to me than your OP that builds on the existing system. But there may be things that I've not thought of. Just my gut feel and normal approach to these things.

1 Like

There are no wrong or right answers, only popular one's that should be put to those in whom we trust :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll jump on just about anyone’s bandwagon. But you and Jason Bottjen (@JasonJoel ) have insights and suggestions that often impart wisdom to me.

1 Like

Is the difference between "rooms" and "tags" just sematics? Can't I create a room called "XYZ" tag, and a tag called "Living Room?"

Just wondering why it matters if we refer to them as rooms or tags, as long as we can use them as we wish. In that case calling them "Rooms" could be easier for less techie/more basic users to understand/use them.

(Backing up and putting on my cardboard King Arthur armor to receive my schooling.) :wink:

4 Likes

At the moment, because they are meant for rooms, each device can only be in one room. The tag idea is about being able to apply more than one category or grouping per device

3 Likes

Ok, so just need a bit more flexibility...

[quote="Inge_Jones, post:17, topic:91753"]
I'd prefer a truly flexible tagging system where tags can be used as primary and secondary sort and collapse indices.
[/quote] :+1:

[quote="Inge_Jones, post:19, topic:91753"]
Yes anyway I was already agreeing with Jason's in my first post in the thread, which sounds more instinctive to me than your OP that builds on the existing system.
[/quote] :+1:

???????

Perhaps I preferred to go and poor another beer.... :grin:

But seriously.... I was wanting to have it both ways, being involved / contributing to the conversation and standing at a distance, allowing others to drive the conversation.

Personally I like the idea of both fixed concepts such as Rooms or Zones, as well as more flexible setups like tags. I have personally developed unrelated systems that employ both optional and fixed labels such as these and I think there is a place for both here.

1 Like

Well there is one benefit to keeping the Rooms system alongside the suggested tag system. The Android Hubitat app presents a nice auto-generated dashboard of devices presented in Room layout which once or twice I have used when for some reason the dash I usually use is playing up.

1 Like