Lessons Learned for Z Wave Stability

With the same POE splitter? I wonder what would cause that? I run several other things off my Unifi POE switch with no issues.. Not my Hubitat, but if it were RF related, I do have another device directly next to my Hubitat that is receiving POE via a splitter from my Unifi switch...

Again, it's only a poe splitter with a unifi POE switch with the C8 that causes z-wave issues. The c5 and c7 are unaffected.

1 Like

Ahh, my bad. Still seems like a perplexing issue. I wonder if it's just cheap splitters? Makes my brain wheels turn...

A bunch of us have tried different ones and usually the same result. There have been a few unaffected but by and large that combination spells trouble. I mean I use a cheap POE splitter on my c8 but don't have an issue with my catalyst poe switches. Introduce the unfi in place and z-wave goes to hell. Best we can think of is some kid of radio interference.

1 Like

Really strange. Well I have an oscilloscope, a few POE splitters, and a Unifi POE switch. Maybe some experiments are in order...

1 Like

The hub itself has the same CPU and Mem, but it does have an 800 zwave chip, which I am not sure if that gives an advantage or not. I agree the early C7 was hit or miss with S2 but has greatly improved with the zwave firmware updates that have came out since its launch.

1 Like

Dam, what is the electricity across the pond? Over here it's about 19 cents/kw and I have a 3750 sitting in my basement collecting dust because its idle power consumption is double my 2960X. That's comparing both switches with zero POE load, the 3750 is a beast and even has redundant power supplies

I think mine is . 0.06556 per kWh. at the moment

I have 2 of them running at the moment... This is the one in the attic. Never did the full gui on the one on my rack. In the interest of bandwidth, I use 10g fiber between floors.

My almost-wholly-uneducated guess is that the Ubiquiti PoE issues on C8s (or anything else, but as mentioned, C8s are more affected, it would seem) are related to ground potential issues, and that issues would be more prevalent with PoE splitters that are not isolated.

1 Like

Adding my voice here. Upgrading from C7 to C8 was a huge downgrade in reliability, almost no Z-Wave automation worked where I was expecting everything to be better.
I was about to go back to the C7 when I caught up here and stopped using the PoE power adapter from my Unifi switch. It's reliable now, but I need to find a longer USB-C cable as the AC power outlet is much further than the switch is from the C8 (both in utility closet).

Yeah it's been known for a while...Still don't get why.... Another option get a cheap 5 port poe switch like a tplink and daisy chain it to your unifi switch. The poe injectors work fine with those.

1 Like

I"m hesitant to say the Unifi switch is root cause without more definitive AB testing. All I'm willing to say for now is a PoE converter I purchased from Amazon causes some unknown interference issue with ZWave networks on a C8. The source of the power maybe the issue but I have no way to determine that. That same PoE Converter works fine supporting my other devices that draw more power such as a Rassberry Pi with a USB SATA drive attached to it which one would believe should take more power then the C8. It's a fascinating problem and one I wish I could solve to cleanup the wiring and perhaps move the C8 to a slightly better central location.

It's a combination of the Poe splitter, unifi Poe switch, and the C8 only. The c7 and other devices aren't affected.

1 Like

I ran into this without a splitter. I had been powering a C7 using a direct USB port on a Cisco switch. No problems over a couple of years. However, when I put a C8 in its place, the hub would flake out every 1-2 weeks. Either the Z-Wave would stop working, or the hub would stop responding completely. Just on the edge of the power requirement I guess.

I actually addressed the problem by using a PoE splitter for power. :slight_smile:

I haven't had any issues with my catalyst switches. I have an 8 port unifi, plug the c8 into that with a splitter and it all goes to hell

If a device asks for S2, I'll let it have S2 unauthenticated. I haven't had any problem with these devices being too chatty. Some devices, like the Ring Gen 2 motion sensors require the S2, and admittedly I just got lazy in not saying no to anything else that required it. Until recently I had about 5 devices with S0, 4 inovelli RGB bulbs, and a Yale Lock. Last week in quest to eliminate a couple of other nagging issues I tore down and rebuilt both of my meshes. I was able to get those Inovelli bulbs included without the S0 using a UZB Stick and the SiLabs Zwave PC Controller. The one lock that is S0 or the 16 devices that are S2 aren't creating any issues.

Since doing the rebuild the Zwave mesh is rock solid with all but one device (and that one is inside a safe) Paired Directly. The Zigbee mesh on the other hand has been nothing but a pain in the rear.

My observation is completely anecdotal, but I initially migrated from a C7 to C8, I had some improvement, but not what I was expecting. I recently migrated again from a C8 to another C8. (unrelated issue) and my Zwave was a train wreck. In an effort to fix an un-related problem (Which I now believe was at least partially caused by the initial migration), I ended up tearing down my meshes and rebuilding them. My Zwave mesh is now the strongest it has ever been

1 Like

In his case like others in this thread, its was a combination of the unifi POE switches, a poe splitter and the C8. Once the splitter was eliminated the c8 ran fine with z-wave.

1 Like

Yeah. I use POE, but not Unifi. I think the issues I had were more related to a bad initial migration than anything from POE After my rebuild last week, my Zwave mesh is more like what I had initially expected from the C8.

2 Likes

If it is just a switch then or something that has physical access I definitely do not use security. I reserve the security for device that require it and locks.

Headaches are my primary concern because I do these installations for customers.

I have had a lot better luck with Zigbee so I am surprised by that you have had issues with it.

The best solution of all of them is a Lutron Caseta or RA2. Those installations are beyond rock solid. Make sure you buy the pro version of the Lutron hub if you are using Caseta.

1 Like