LED Light strips with Bluetooth Control

If something happens to the hub, i can always control my lights with the hue app.

1 Like

Oh....ok. That makes sense.

I'm still waiting on mine (not that I'd have time to set it up yet, anyways :laughing:)

Did you get the 5-Ch version? If so, does it do RGB + CCT, or is it RGB -or- CCT?

RGB or CCT. Not both as far as i have seen.

1 Like

Hi @Ryan780, very interested and diving into this. (If you have a link to somewhere let me know). Just curious if you had to use Logic Level shifter for your WS2812 LEDs?

The reason for my interest is the ability to control the many effects through Rest Get commands from Hubitat. Haven't seen to many other setups out there that can do that.

I did not have to use a logical level shifter. The LEDs I bought were a little more expensive so they are tolerant of the 3.3v control. Also, one of the setups I am using actually uses the TX pin on the ESP board to control the LEDs and the TX pin is 5v, not 3.3v. So, if you use a setup that controls through the serial interface you definitely don't need the level shifter.

The reason is that there aren't many that do. Most of the LEDs out there are analog, not digital. Any of the good digital setups quickly get too complicated for a home-automation system to control reliably. The best you can hope for is to use them through an HTTP endpoint if possible. But not of the time I find myself only issuing off commands from hubatit for my fancier LED setups.

Thanks Ryan. Yes I plan something similar. Fancy light effects on the three digital LEDs strips.

I plan to get 3 Digital LED strips WS2812bb (3 meters each no idea how many LEDs yet) and probably 2 or 3 controllers like the ESP8266 boards. It's for the living room ceiling crown so looking to have some nice light effects if possible. Have any recommendations on the brand or Amazon links for ones that worked for you? Quite a few digital LED strips out there. Also do you recommend tying them together or having them powered separately (will need to buy a 5V power supply or two I think).

Oh and which ESP8266 did you get. First step I gotta buy some :slight_smile:

Hi...you can use an hc-05 bare bluetooth serial module wired directly to GPIO. When that's up and running, there are any number of compatible apps on the play store - just search for 'arduino Bluetooth'.Rst is right though, that a web app would be a better way to do it, if possible.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.