LED Diffusers

Anyone use any specific LED diffusers for a wall application? I'm thinking of doing LED strip channels with diffusers, but don't want to be stuck to a straight light. I then thought about frosted acrylic panels, but don't want to have too much dead space. I also thought about using a white pool noodle, but don't want to have a big doofy foam thing on my wall.

I'm not looking to mimic anything specific (nanoleaf, etc), but I also don't want to just put exposed LED strips on my wall.

Just looking to bounce ideas off the group to see what people have done/used/created to make some cool ideas. If it could be a modular thing then cool. I'm not opposed to it being modular, but at least a solid thing to make it not be ugly.

Bonus: after I play around with it myself, I was going to make some initials to send to me nieces so they can enjoy lights with their initials, so the final idea would most likely be used in multiple projects.

I don't have a 3d printer (yet? maybe i could drop hints to the wife for Christmas, lol), am not not afraid to use power tools. I've made things out of acrylic panels before, so not afraid of using those either.

Like strips literally stuck to the wall, or do you want something more like this? (all pictures stolen from Google)

download (1)

Or maybe crown molding?

1 Like

There was a bunch of discussion about diffusers in this thread. Maybe some information there will be useful.

1 Like

yea, it would be on the wall. just want some ambiance above my computer monitor. i saw that thread, but that was more so for channels to use. at first i was thinking of channels/diffusers, but now want to transition to something more creative.

i do kinda like the design on the first pic, but that's just stuff placed in front to have it shine through. i'm just trying to maximize the effects of addressable LEDs while being stylish i guess

I think i might just go with a cable channel since i have them sitting around and i can make a design if needed

Maybe the outdoor led strips of Philips Hue? But very $$$

nah, not looking to use another solution. i already set up WLED and have addressable LEDs. just looking to make it nice when i put it up

No problem. Would you be so kind and post a photo of the result?

definitely. i'm still working out the design i want to make it, but once i do i'll definitely put a finished image. it probably won't be until the end of the month though

1 Like

This is mine, mounted behind a shelf, diffusing against a wall. Very happy with it!

2 Likes

Already decided on using my old cable channels, but came across these that can also help

https://www.amazon.com/BTF-LIGHTING-Lighting-Flexible-Waterproof-Decoration/dp/B07YDDNQ6F/

Peeled off the backing and stuck it into the cable channel. 40% done. For the bend, i cut the strip and soldered it to not damage the strip

Here's the final product with the cable channels

4 Likes