Leaving SmartThings

Hello ALL. Ive been with ST since Version 1 hub was introduced then moved on to V2 all the way through current day. I stuck with ST through thick and thin. I have followed Hubitat and Home Assistant from Afar....
Today Samsung broke the camels back in a sense.

I woke up to find all my zwave devices along with the hub deleted. After much posting on the ST forum only to find Other users in the same boat as i.... it's time for me to go. ST issued an email and operational status hub post explaining the data loss / deletion. I now have to start from scratch from device 1 and re-add/rebuild. Im still considered a novice to alot of the power users. This is unacceptable. I see now that Hubitat has the latest C8 available for purchase.
I'm mad/upset about this whole ST debacle and am venting.

See below

My camel had it's back broken, torn out, burned, ate and finally shat back out quite some time ago.

Step 1 - Buy a c7.
Step 2 - fling the St hub onto a passing asteroid
Step 3 - never look back

Welcome to the forum.

6 Likes

Moving from ST to Hubitat is one of the best smart home decisions I've ever made. Making use of its local execution to ensure that no home function relies only on a cloud-based control mechanism (e.g. Google, Alexa) was another one (the button is your friend).

1 Like

Another ex-SmartThings user here; a similar reason for moving (my account's locale had somehow been set to India, and the only option for changing it at the time was to reset the hub and start over).

No regrets, and it's very reassuring to know that once you've got everything set up and working the way you want it'll just continue doing so indefinitely.

Oh they still have that feature of auto reset when they think you have put enough time into the project to make you angry. Yep been there with SmartThings, nothing like having the project done, go away to a confernece and have the wife call and say lights wont turn on. Come home and the hub is reset.

You made a good choice to come here. I have never looked back and I have been on the Hubitat platform since the C4 came out.

1 Like

Thankyou for the replies. The ST Forum is on fire...as we speak. Placing my order for Hubitat C8 now. It really bites everything failed on the ST hub yesterday when we woke up only to find out what happened. We were leaving for a few days on a family trip. I spent majority of my time on the ST forum Only to say Ciao!

Here i am... thankyou for the replies

3 Likes

Take a gander at this. It will help avoid some gotchas. Are you new to home automation or Hubitat or coming from a different platform such as Wink, SmartThings or Vera? This may help!

2 Likes

Thankyou!

I just did the migration over the past couple of days. ST seems to have been leaving me for quite some time. I bought a HE hub last December and started playing around with it. I was able to move everything without too much effort, including many apps that I had. I have one more item on ST, it's a lamp that Harmony Hub connects to through ST, turns on when the TV turns on. Going to check on Logitech's site today to see if there is a smooth solution to the last one. Then the plug gets pulled.

1 Like

Just a little over 4 years ago I bought a C-5 hub after one of the many cloud outages on SmartThings. I haven’t had to be concerned with the cloud breaking my setup since! I now have 2 C-5s and a C-8 connected via Hub Mesh.

@RC51_Tofuman

Slight modification. Buy a C-8. The external antennas for z-wave and zigbee make a world of difference. And be aware that rebuilding zigbee and z-wave mesh networks requires patience.

800-series z-wave controllers have quirks that can be worked around, but it is best to be aware they exist. And Hubitat engineers are still working on modifying the zigbee stack for the zigbee 3.0 controller in the C-8 to work around device-specific quirks in pairing/reporting.

5 Likes

You may want to check out this discussion: [Release] Logitech Harmony Hub Driver v0.1.20230311 - #1083 by Bloodtick_Jones

1 Like

@Bloodtick_Jones 's Hubithings Replica app works amazingly well. It is definitely something anyone coming from SmartThings should check out. I have my Samsung oven connected using this app and @djgutheinz Samsung oven drivers and I'm amazed at how the events come through instantly. It's the only thing I use it for, but the whole setup was so easy that I had it up and running in 5 minutes.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.