Latest update bricked the device

After Googling I found this:

So I tried the port 8081 and it works. I will try restoring to the previous version and see if I can recover the device.

You should try just rebooting it 1st (via http://hubip:8081)

1 Like

Nothing. It does not work. I tried rebooting. And it will stay on the Reboot Hub and Waiting for hub to reboot.... for ever.

It never passes the blue light.

Also tried restarting in safe mode. Now it will just give

Error: Request failed with status code 401

try logging out of hub(even tho it says you're logged in)
Then try safe mode

1 Like

Also try a different browser or private/incognito window. Might be a cache issue

The hub is death. Every action I try now in the port 8081. Reboot, soft reboot, full reset. All actions just give error status code 401 and do nothing.

Hub is revision 5.

Your session is expired.

use a private/incognito window.

1 Like

Ok that worked. It seems I had to re-authenticate.

Doing full reset now. Hub is on red light. How long should this usually take?

Not sure never done the "sledgehammer" approach. walk away and it will go faster.

2 Likes

A watched pot...

always logout and log back in before attempting a reboot.

How long?? The Red light is the last step. The Hub has cleared everything back to factory new. You can now cycle the power and see if it boots to blue then green. If yes, your choice of a full reset means 100% of the Z-Devices are no longer connected to your hub. You will have to exclude and include each of them.

I really don't believe you wanted to do a Full Reset and thus lose all the Z-Devices. But that's water under the bridge.

If you power cycle and get only a blue LED, there's another choice.. but we're watching here to hear the latest.. green LED is what we are hoping for.

Yes I figured that out. The red light means its turned off. :grin:

Just to update everyone. This did not work initially. When turned on, the device was stuck on the blue light rebooting. I then reverted to the previous version. It came back, then it rebooted on its own again, then came back. Finally, when it was back (console loading constantly reset to 0 from 100% before finally loading the web interface). I tried upgrading to the latest release and same issue.

Again, full reset. Nothing but problems. This is strange because in the past every time the device rebooted it took 1 minute to come back. Not anymore. It takes like 15. Eventually it came back again (using an older version). Once back it seems to work. At least the web interface works, but I suspect some deep issue with the device.

I re added my lights. Some simple light rules for 3 bulbs. Nothing else, just like I had it before. They did not turn off in the morning. Deleted them, added them again, again same issue the next day. Then they did not turn on at night. I did this 3 times on 3 days and suddenly they don't work properly anymore.

This is so unreliable I'm seriously just thinking about moving to OpenHab or something I can at least check what is going with more details. I suspect the SSD card in the device is damaged. Otherwise, I cannot explain why it will suddenly work this horrible slow when it reboots.

If this is so problematic, all I want is turn lights on at night and off in the day I cannot imagine how unreliable it will be with more complex things. Example, when power goes on and off, the hub has no way to check this and be sure that lights should be off on the day.

Sure, I can get around the software and play with the rules until they work but I'm more afraid now on how unreliable the hardware is. It does not keep time correctly, it will take forever to reboot, it misses tasks...

I might just buy a mini PC and run it for automation. The reason is that I have researched in the past OpenHab with a Raspberry Pi (I also own that but never used it) and everyone agrees that you should not run anything on a SSD card like this, no home automation that does this is reliable. It will die eventually because it cannot support constant disk writes. I had this experience with a NAS running from USB sticks before. They all die eventually. You need a better storage medium and in general just a better hardware.

And I assume I cannot install Hubitat on my own device. Don't get me wrong. This is by far the best automation software, but the hardware is just way to cheap to be reliable and you cannot run the software on something better. I'm almost 100% positive the issues are hardware related and this is not even 6 months running so far.

What is the point of running an automation hub if its not checking rules? Example, turn lights on at 5:00 PM, turn off at 6:00 AM. If for some reason it missed one it will not re-apply them afterwards. Power is loss, bulbs turn back on. Device does not check state to turn them off again...

You're describing a DB corruption.

• It came back, then it rebooted on its own again, then came back.
  • it took 1 minute to come back. Not anymore. It takes like 15.

That's the platform detecting the corruption and scrolling back through the 4 copies it keeps on-board. Eventually it finds one to work.

Booting to Blue LED for longer than 12 mins is a failure too. A different one probably, but one in which 'corruption' comes to mind.

Have you entered a Ticket for this?? This Community can't inspect the Hub for memory errors, Support can. But overall, you've got a very unusual set of symptoms.

You used the words:

And I just want to confirm... because that menu option (in my mind) is primarily used when you want to sell the hub. Soft Reset is the better tool.

Soft Reset will delete the DB and therefore the corruption. You can simply start from 'day one' there OR, most commonly, restore a backup saved to your PC.

You can pretty much give up on your existing backups because they match a hub with devices that are no longer there. Full Reset cleaned that out.

If it were me advising you, I'd suggest a Soft Reset to simply get to a clean hub. Don't restore a backup... those are toast in my view.

Do that again, verify that the Device Info page controls them well. Then re-create one automation, and verify that works, and works well. If you are using a Turn on at: xx and off in the morning.. tighten it up to be On 5 mins from now and Off 5 mins after. Make a really simple rule that runs quickly to verify that it's all good. THEN check out the time. Make sure your hub has the Sunrise and Sunset times accurately displayed (Locations and Modes.) Going OFF in the morning won't seem to work if "sunrise" is 6 hours off. :slight_smile:

Then create that rule for overnight.

Ideally the Ticket with support will give you the knowledge to go forward, confident in the hardware.

2 Likes

Put in a support ticket, email support@hubitat.com

Also paging @bobbyD

1 Like

I will try a soft reboot. And update again to the latest version. How long should the normal boot time take (blue light)? This bothers me, that it takes this long and it was not like this when I first purchased and installed the hub. Green light was usually on in 1 minute.

I'm not sure about DB corruption if there are not rules (I did this several times with a clean hub...), why would this even happen when there is no data in the device. I can only suspect hardware issue.

The backup issue seems off-putting. If I need to change the device in the future or do the same I have to recreate every single rule? That seems like a nightmare when a new hub comes out or I need to replace a non-working one. Let's face it, anything that can fail will fail at some point. That is one thing I learned about hardware and networks over the years, keep redundancy in place and backups. But backups are worthless if they are tight to a specific hardware. That seems horrible in a world of stateless machine on which software is decoupled from hardware. You should be able to just take your settings (backup) and put them on any hub when required.

Imagine someone with 100+ devices and complex rules having to do all from scratch. :disappointed_relieved::expressionless:

No, the database backup in the settings menu can back up your automations, apps, and even Zigbee devices (will still need re-pairing though). You will only really lose Zwave backup.

Sorry for the troubles. Having a blue light following the update means that something interrupted the process and the platform isn't running.

A Full Reset wasn't needed, but since you have performed one, "red light" is the last part of the reset process and means that hub completed the reset and turned itself off. The next step (or any time when the hub has a red light, you must unplug the power cord for 30 seconds). For future reference, always refer back to documentation as there are things like error 401 that are forgotten even by most experienced home automation enthusiasts:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Full_Reset

If you can send me a private message or an email to support, let's connect in the morning to make sure that your hub is functioning properly.

2 Likes

I definitely did not do that. Unplug for 30 seconds after the resets. Just plugged out and back in.