Landscape in Mobile App

It seems the new mobile app does not support rotation on a mobile device. I use mine on a Samsung tablet in my Kitchen. I was hoping to switch to the mobile app instead of the web based dashboard. Will this be resolved in a future release?

2 Likes

If it's a static dashboard on a mounted tablet, what is the benefit of using the mobile app versus using a browser?

Because he can

The question was what benefit is there from using the app for a mounted tablet dashboard. if you're going to butt in, at least answer the question asked.

We are looking into adding support for rotation on displays larger than a typical phone on Android. Mobile views will most likely stay in portrait view but we will see.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Argument about Landscape for Mobile App

At first, I assumed the app would provide further functionality beyond the web version, such as user based access, etc. However, after review it is actually just the same thing. I have had some issues with tiles not updating correctly in the web based dashboard that require closing it and reopening. Still, I think having the ability to use it in landscape would be beneficial at some point. For now, I will continue using the web dashboard shortcuts.

1 Like

I don't think the 'native app' will change that behavior. Ultimately, it's just native mobile chrome wrapped around a browser window, I believe it is a Xamarin app.

You would be incorrect. Both apps are native code.

1 Like

EDIT:Fixed meme fail

Unsure why you think Patrick would be lying?

5 Likes

It's not like I have access to the code or anything :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wasnโ€™t what I was implying. I was conveying surprise. Meme fail.

1 Like

I would also like the app to be able to rotate to portrait on smaller devices. I note that it does rotate on my ipads, but not my iPhone and not on my Kindle Fire 7. I wanted to wall mount the Kindle horizontally to use as a keypad replacement as I think it looks better. It would be easier for a novice like me if the app rotated. I would then just need to use Fully Kiosk and the app.

I just bought a cheap iPad so I could use as a wall Mount dashboard (and allow my roomies to use the paid lighting effects I bought for my hue lighting from 3rd Party apps). Was surprised to find that the app wonโ€™t rotate into landscape on the 10.2โ€ iPads. Is this something still in the works? Would rather use the app vs a web browser.