LaMetric Time

Not until someone correctly ports the driver and app over from ST. It is beyond my ability.

You can use HE to IFTTT to Lametric if you want. I haven't because IFTTT always seemed slow to me.

I did notice something interesting. I have the LT displaying current Sonos tracks, through its built in app. If I use the Sonos as a TTS device in HE, the LT will also display what happened. The Sonos will say "The front door is open", and the LT will display "Hubitat - The front door is open". But only if I use the Sonos as a TTS, and I don't, because it doesn't reliably restore the track. I also use the Lutron Sonos audio pico. If I press the play button, it won't start playing the station again, but instead say "The front door is open". So I separated them and use a Samsung R1 for my TTS, and the Sonos for music, and my pico works normally.

Hi Oliver. At the moment, I just use it for sending messages, for which it works just fine. Haven't really looked any harder at the moment, but if anybody's got a particular use case, I'm happy to have a bash at it.

-- Jules

Is there a way to use this as a notification device outside the La Metric Notification App?

I ask because if you try to send a notification using RM, for example, you receive the following log:

[app:5379](http://192.168.7.57/logs#app5379)2020-05-24 01:14:24.325 pm [error](http://192.168.7.57/installedapp/configure/5379)java.lang.Exception: No response data exists for async request on line 818 (notificationCallbackMethod)

[app:5379](http://192.168.7.57/logs#app5379)2020-05-24 01:14:24.315 pm [debug](http://192.168.7.57/installedapp/configure/5379)Auth: dev:680ffaa83aa236e6a1ed494ce82b8c099b252bae2c8ebd81abee7703b3a8b767

[app:5379](http://192.168.7.57/logs#app5379)2020-05-24 01:14:24.311 pm [debug](http://192.168.7.57/installedapp/configure/5379)send notification message to device 192.168.7.36:8080/api/v2/device/notifications Test - key: 680ffaa83aa236e6a1ed494ce82b8c099b252bae2c8ebd81abee7703b3a8b767

[app:5379](http://192.168.7.57/logs#app5379)2020-05-24 01:14:24.307 pm [debug](http://192.168.7.57/installedapp/configure/5379)send something

I never got this working with HE. It does work with Smarthings.

[quote="JulesT, post:17, topic:5000"]
get it working in the end, I think, but all confined to the
[/quote], Works great, I have 2 Lametrics, it sees both and added them as devices but will only output on 1, if though i have both selected, any ideas? Thanks

Hi JulesT,

I use this app for messages also. Otherwise my LT is sat on the clock screen. Is there any code that I can change to make the messages stay on screen for say 15 seconds. Often times I look up to see a message disappearing back to clock screen - mostly single words relating to my motion sensors.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone document how they got this to work? It's dead in the water for me too.

OK, after some further messing with it, I got it to work! Here's some tips...

1. Unlike Smartthings a redirect URL isn't need in your Lametric developer app configuration. Make sure it's empty.

2. As was mentioned previously after creating the Connect app, hit the OAuth button.

3. When adding the Connect user app, you do it twice. The first time you enter your client ID and client secret which sends you to Lametric's site to authorize it. The second time the app runs a discovery to find your Lametric device. This is where I had issues - it couldn't find my device. The way I worked around was a follows...

a. Go to Devices.
b. Add a virtual device.
c. In the "Device Name" and "Device Label" enter the actual name of your Lametric device (can be found in the Lametric App). Mine was "My LaMetric".
d. From the "Type" dropdown select "LaMetric".
e. Save the device.

Now when running discovery My Lametric showed up and I was able to select it from the list. It then created a second Lametric device which was the real one and I deleted the one I created.

1. If you want Notifications to appear for longer, use an Animated icon when creating the notification. You can find the icon ID here: LaMetric: Web

Good luck!

3 Likes

Hate to be digging up super old threads but even with all the help in this thread it took me almost an hour to setup of an old LaMetric device I had laying around so wanted to add a few clarifying steps to @ngcard's post above in case anyone else has the same issue I did where the "LaMetric (Connect)" Apps Code screen would not open the OAuth flow mentioned in step 2 above for some reason.

Long story short, all I had to do was skip step 2 above and jump to installing the Connect app and then running through the OAuth flow within the app itself.

If memory serves, these were the steps I eventually took to get it working:

1. Go setup a developer account with LaMetric and create a basic Notification App like the example image above. (Take note of the new App's Client ID and Secret as you'll need them later)
  2. Next, go to Hubitat's "Drivers Code" page and install the drivers from above
  3. Then head over to your hub's "Apps Code" page and install both the LaMetric Connect and LaMetric Notifier apps from above
  4. Navigate to your hub's "Apps" page and hit the "Add user App" then install "LaMetric Connect" from the list.
  5. Once you've installed/launch the "Connect" app the first time you should now be able to follow the OAuth flow inside there.
  6. Similar to @ngcard 's tips above, I am pretty sure once I completed the OAuth by entering my Client ID and Secret the first time I had to exit the Connect app in Hubitat, then I just scrolled down and re-opened it again.
  7. If setup correct it should start searching for devices and after a few seconds the drop down should populate.
  8. Select your device from the list and hit done to close the Connect App (As mentioned above this will automatically create the "LaMetric" device for you.)
  9. If you want to confirm, head over to Hubitat's devices page and find your LaMetric device from the list
  10. Once the Connect app has created your device then it's time to install the "LaMetric Notifier" by clicking on the "Add user App" button on the Apps page again and finding it in the list.
  11. After the Notifier app is installed/Loaded you should be able to select your LaMetric and send it messages.

Personally, the Notifier app was a little too limited. It was probably user error but it did not seem to allow for variables in messages so all I could do is send a generic "something is on" which was not particularly useful at all.

I ended up just using Hubitat's built-in "Notifier" app instead (Rule Machine also works). For syntax you can skim the web api link @ngcard posted above.

To save others a little time here is a Custom Message I threw together initially that worked for me:
{"model":{"frames":[{"text":"%device% %value%","icon":"33655"}]}, "priority":"warning"}

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.39.10 PM

I had an old one of these laying around that someone had gifted me a while back before stumbling across this post so it was worth the effort to get this running but I can't really recommend paying $200 for one of these brand new if all you want is to push it Hubitat notifications as there are much cheaper ways to do that... That being said, once I set it up about two weeks ago it's been pretty solid and have not had a single issue with it so if you have the money and it fills your use case then go for it.

1 Like

Did you manage to get custom text working in the format you suggested? I get the full string on the LaMetric if I do it like that. I also tried the exact phrase as reported (as a custom message) I saw in the Hub activity log when using Non-Custom messages. That also did not work as the full text is also displayed on the Lametric.
(I'm intrigued why these devices are not more popular. To me, they are essential for all home automation setups.)

Had to go double check but yea, it’s working through Hubitat’s built-in Notifier app as well as through Rule Machine.

For the Notify app once you select your LaMetric as the notification device try copy/pasting the example below in the field labeled “Notification message to send” and see if it works for you.

{"priority":"warning","icon_type":"none","model":{"frames":[{"icon":5855,"text":"%device% %value%"}],"sound":{"category":"notifications","id":"positive6","repeat":1},"cycles":1}}

For Rule Machine, after you set your trigger event, select the action “Send, Speak or Log a Message, Send HTTP Request”. Then, in the “Message to send” field, try pasting the example below to see if it works for you.

{"priority":"warning","icon_type":"none","model":{"frames":[{"icon":10025,"text":"%now%"}],"sound":{"category":"notifications","id":"negative1","repeat":1},"cycles":1}}

@hendrec

Had to go double check but yea, it’s working through Hubitat’s built-in Notifier app as well as through Rule Machine.

For the Notify app once you select your LaMetric as the notification device try copy/pasting the example below in the field labeled “Notification message to send” and see if it works for you.

{"priority":"warning","icon_type":"none","model":{"frames":[{"icon":5855,"text":"%device% %value%"}],"sound":{"category":"notifications","id":"positive6","repeat":1},"cycles":1}}

For Rule Machine, after you set your trigger event, select the action “Send, Speak or Log a Message, Send HTTP Request”. Then, in the “Message to send” field, try pasting the example below to see if it works for you.

{"priority":"warning","icon_type":"none","model":{"frames":[{"icon":10025,"text":"%now%"}],"sound":{"category":"notifications","id":"negative1","repeat":1},"cycles":1}}

Thank you for your trouble.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using the LM Notifier app. (I use webCore for all my automation, but it doesn't pick up the La Metric devices, so I have to use the LM Notifier app.)
Still getting the same result in the LM Notifier app - the code is displayed on the LM Device, with curly brackets, quotes etc.
The message is set up like this:

Are we perhaps using different versions of the app/device drivers? I'm using the app/drivers from post 17 above.

Yes, it looks I’m using the same version although I was never able to get the “LaMetric Notifier” app to work correctly so I eventually just uninstalled that one and just left the Connect app installed.

Once my device was discovered and added via the LaMetric Connect app, I just used Hubitat’s built in Notifier and/or Rule Machine apps to send the messages above and that’s been pretty solid ever since.

Thanks, I'm going to try the Notifier app. That seems to be the perfect solution.
Did you discover the secret of getting to know what the custom sounds/icons are/look like? The list is endless and non-descriptive (especially the icons).

Edit: I managed to determine two of the not-so-obvious sound codes (by looking at the Logs of the LM Notifier app):
Knocking Sound: knock_knock
Door Unlocked: open_door.

The alternative to priority "warning", is "critical". Priority warning "may be ignored at night". I suppose that would mean priority critical will not be ignored at night.

Perhaps this could help someone some day.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.