Lack of updates?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it feels like it's been a long time since the last update for my Hubitat hub, which I believe was released in July. Is a significant update in the pipeline?

Given Pete's departure and the absence of recent updates, I'm starting to question how well things are going for the Hubitat team.

2.3.6 is in beta right now, so updates are still well in motion.

9 Likes

youre more than welcome to join the beta as well

5 Likes

That seems unwarranted.

12 Likes

Is there something broken that needs fixing? What are you specifically looking for in an update? A new feature? What new feature?

1 Like

While the Hubitat platform is functional, there is always room for improvement and innovation. For comparison, platforms like Home Assistant maintain a monthly update cadence, which helps to keep their ecosystem robust and up-to-date.

Regular updates, particularly those that include new device drivers and integrations, are essential for ensuring that the platform remains competitive and meets the evolving needs of its user base. Therefore, I believe it's reasonable to inquire about the timeline for the next significant update, especially given the recent changes within the Hubitat team.

1 Like

My concerns stem from two significant observations. First, Pete has been a public face for Hubitat, and his departure naturally raises questions about the company's direction. Second, as a committed customer with two hubs and multiple years of cloud subscription, I have a vested interest in the platform's ongoing stability and development. My intent was not to offend, but rather to seek clarification on these matters.

That's great to hear!

Hubitat is a small startup. There have been lots of employees who have come and gone - Pete is hardly the first and won’t be the last. Wouldn’t surprise me if Pete’s replacement in marketing was already on board.

Also, as much as I enjoyed Pete’s corny humor, and in his marketing role, he played host to Hubitat videos on YouTube, he wasn’t exactly the face of the company for anyone who frequented the community website

15 Likes

Got it thanks

If you want updates, you should consider joining the beta.. Lots of fun stuff in the new one.

1 Like

As my mother once told me, "Don't borrow trouble." The current Hubitat firmware release is stable. Stable is good. I never quite understand people's fascination with change. I don't even like it when we change mayonnaise or paper towel brands.

6 Likes

As far as Hubitat betas go, those stable changes are still there. Mostly betas are new features added. Also easy enough to restore to the old version if you don't like the beta. To be honest though, I don't think I've ever had a beta break anything existing that I have.

1 Like

I'm wondering if the Sinope tank monitoring driver was fixed.
I guess I'd have to join up to find out. I think I was kicked out the last time, so there's that. :slight_smile:

You can apply but 2 simple rules. Don't discuss it outside of the beta channels and simply report your findings. Don't debate. ( not saying you would do either just talking in general)

1 Like

I think I complained about stuff not working, or something like that.
It had been after a period of non-involvement in the forums, and all of a sudden, stuff stopped working. I didn't even realize I was running a beta, since I always update when available.
I might give it another whirl.
What the heck.

Everyone deserves a second chance, go in with good intentions and a willingness to solve problems and you should be alright.

3 Likes

Significant is a subjective term. It all depends on what features you use/want. For my use cases, I would say "no" based on what I've seen so far, but for others they would say "yes". Some of that may depend on your involvement in Apple's ecosystem (see homekit beta, etc).

Only "major" feature I want is ZWave LR support, while it is in the queue I think it is behind a few other features they are working on. So I'll just need to be patient or do 'something else' for LR.

4 Likes

Probably me being naïve, but I keep thinking that adding LR support should be low-hanging fruit; doesn't it pretty much depend on flashing a z-wave firmware update from SiLabs? Wouldn't the changes in routing be handled directly at the level of the radio? Are there any differences at the interface level in device pairing?

1 Like

In case you are still reading.... :wink:. Don't take some of us piling on as any kind of mob mentality.... We can be both porocial and pedantic when it comes to how the platform is perceived and how it moves along. Given your inclination for improvement I would like to think this won't be a problem in the long run, but wouldn't want you to feel isolated in any way. We all want to see the platform thrive like you do, we just may differ on how or how quickly, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the ride together.

4 Likes