Kwikset Zigbee lock sending triple events

I installed a Kwikset Zigbee lock and it’s working great. However, when I set up notifications, I’m getting three notifications for every event. When I look at the event history, there are always three per lock/unlock. Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

I don't know much about the device, so are you able to explain what drivers / apps / rules you are using? Once you / we understand that you may be able to turn on some additional logging to try and work out where those additional events are coming from.

If you could enable debug logging in the driver, then lock and unlock the device and paste the live logs we might be able to sort this.

@mike.maxwell Here are the debug logs from unlocking and locking via the hub UI.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell Did the logs give you any info?

Havent looked into it yet.

I have kwikset zigbee locks and haven’t had this problem. My debug logging looks the same, but my events are fewer.

@Ken_Fraleigh Looks like you're still having two events per lock/unlock. If you setup notifications, do you get two each time?

@chrissumsion @Ken_Fraleigh

FWIW, that is not what happens with my Yale zigbee lock. There is a single event for both physical and digital locking/unlocking.

1 Like

I use Homekit, which only gives me one notification. I’ll set it up in HE notifications and see. I did see that you had one more event per command than I did.

1 Like

Okay. I have two notifications for each open or close.

So it seems like maybe a bug in HE?

It may just be something odd with these locks. It sounds like @mike.maxwell is taking a look at it when he has time. Btw, what model are you using? I’m using a 916 and a few 914s. The double events were with the 916. I will have to check the 914s when I get back in town. You could modify your notifications to only send one event in X minutes in the mean time.

Just thought I would join in.

Right now I have a zigbee 914 and 916. Both send double events, as listed above.

I have one zwave plus 916, and it does not.

(I actually have a set of zwave, zwave plus, and zigbee modules for all 3 of my locks and swap them out regularly depending on what I'm testing)

zigbee:

zwave:

Can tell the drivers were done by different people and/or at different times as the descriptive text is different. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ken_Fraleigh Even when I do that, I still get triple notifications. I set it to notify only once within a 5-minute period, and still get three in a row.

Also, I am using the 914 model.

1 Like

Well that sucks.

What's interesting is it isn't always three. Sometimes it's two and sometimes even four.

Hmm - I don't know about zigbee, but I know that poor z-wave meshes can cause outcomes like this with z-wave sensors.

I only have one hub and one extender.

I have oodles of zigbee repeaters, so I don't think that's the issue.

Something goofy the device is doing that @mike.maxwell will need to work around in the driver (or someone make a user driver for).

1 Like