Kwikset Locks

I am so fed up with trying to operate my Kwikset SmartCode 916 (Zwave) with Hubitat, that I am ready to return the Hubitat. It works about 20% of the time, but that means it doesn’t work 80% of the time.Therefore, I can’t trust it to tell me if my doors are locked or not. Also, the dashboard tiles do not reflect the accurate status of the lock nor its battery level. This is ridiculous! Is there someone who could help me?

Regardless whether zigbee or zwave (you didn't say which you have), they both rely on a strong and healthy mesh network.

What other non-battery devices do you have on you mesh? Any close to the lock?

I have 2 916s working fine. I've used both the zigbee and zwave plus modules in them with no major issues. Zigbee works much better, though, in my experience.

I can't comment on the dashboard part, as I don't use Hubitat dashboards.

I know this probably does not help, but my Z-Wave 916 is located about 10' from the C7 and operates as expected. So I know that it is not a Hubitat C7 issue.

If you cannot locate your hub closer to the lock, which would be ideal, then perhaps a Z-Wave repeater or powered Z-Wave switch might help to help boost the Z-Wave signal might help.

If your lock is a Zigbee, than my advice above is not applicable.

They are Z wave. If you mean mesh network...I use the Netgear Orbi wifi system with 3 satellites...I'd say yes, I have a healthy mesh system. Hubitat is not very intuitive or user friendly, but I've read a lot and gotten through the set up. I'm knowledgeable enough to be dangerous, I guess. I'm not one to give up until it works.

Ok, I need to clarify, because this is my first experience with Zwave devices (the door locks). I bought the Hubitat to control them with my phone at home and when I am away. I thought that once I connected them to the Hubitat, that my wireless network would control them. But are you saying I also need to boost the Zwave? The 4 locks are, as expected, all over my house and on different levels. One is even in a secondary building.

No problem @jsmarbaugh , we are all learning with each device and the great people on this forum will also provide some suggestions, which really helps to get the best out of our investment in home automation.

The Hubitat Z-Wave network is totally different than your Netgear Orbi WiFi Network. The Z-Wave network is a special frequency and protocol that only Z-Wave devices and the HE C7 hub can communicate. Therefore, Z-Wave devices, like a lock, motion sensor, switch, etc either try to talk directly to the hub (direct because they are close enough) or through Z-Wave repeaters (because they are too far or their Z-Wave signal is being blocked by walls, etc.

Z-Wave repeaters can be a dedicated, like an AEOTEC Range Extender or similar repeater or an A/C powered Z-Wave device and they help "repeat" a Z-Wave signal from a far away device to the hub. The Z-Wave repeaters need to be located in between the end device (lock, motion sensor or switch, etc ) and the hub to be beneficial.

Are any of your Z-Wave locks working as expected or are all of them failing? If one or more are working and those are closer to the hub or a repeater in between, then you know that the non working lock(s) might be too far from the hub and need a repeater or A/C powered Z-Wave device installed to help repeat the Z-Wave signal to the hub.

1 Like

You are massively confusing wireless protocols. Z-wave wireless mesh network (908MHz) is completely different than Wi-Fi wireless mesh network (2.4GHz/5GHz). Your Netgear Orbi plays no part in the Hubitat Z-wave mesh network and your paired Z-wave devices.

My suggestion speaking from first-hand personal experience. Z-wave locks as the first and only device on a Z-wave network is a really bad idea. You need another powered Z-wave device and/or dedicated Z-wave repeater nearby that supports Z-wave beaming. That greatly increases the chances of success with locks, which are typically the most problematic devices on a Z-wave network.

Short story, your issue is not the Hubitat. Returning it won't solve your problem.

I have placed the monoprice zwave outlets near each of my locks and have had zero fails since then. Small price to pay for reliable locks.

[https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Z-Wave-Smart-Repeater-Ports/dp/B076HZG5HR](https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Z-Wave-Smart-Repeater-Ports/dp/B076HZG5HR)
1 Like

Ok, I now understand the Zwave is its own network. I guess I can buy a repeater or two. I'm wondering if I should have spent more money on the locks themselves! (I bought them at Costco.)

Before I buy MORE stuff, I've read some people have switched the lock inner workings to Zigbee. How does one do that, and would that be better in the long run (financially and reliability-wise)?

Let's say I buy Zwave repeaters and I get the 4 locks to communicate correctly with the Hubitat, will I then be able to connect to the cloud and control them while I am away from home?

And thank you all for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

You replace the communications card in the lock with a zigbee one. Often they can be found on eBay or in the kwikset lock upgrade kits.

No. Same issue as zwave. Zigbee is a mesh network that works best when there are many devices involved so that the device has multiple paths back to the hub.

The Kwikset zigbee cards ($35-80) are about the same cost range of a dedicated Z-Wave repeater or a Z-Wave AC powered device (e.g. light switch, wall outlet, Z-Wave bulb, etc). Therefore, for the future, IMHO, you could get a better Z-Wave mesh and/or additional home automation functionality.

2 Likes

Are you an Apple, Amazon or Android household? Hubitat can integrate with Alexa, Google Home, or Homekit via Homebridge. I bring all my Hubitat devices into Apple Homekit and control all of them from my built-in iOS Home app on my iPhone anywhere in the world.

I have the same problem with my ZWave Kwik set. Pull battery and reconnect. Lasts about 2 weeks then nothing. I have GE light switch less then 2 feet from it so it can’t be the zwave mesh.

Need some help. Trying to switch from my z-wave module to Zigbee. The Zigbee pairs but when I try to pick device there is nothing for Kwikset. I pick generic Zigbee lock and it doesn’t lock or unlock. Any help?

• endpointId: 02
  • model: SMARTCODE_DEADBOLT_5_L
  • application: 17
  • manufacturer: Kwikset

That's the driver I use with my kwikset 912 ZigBee lock. Try hitting the configure button on the device page for the lock.

I’ll give it another try. Put the Z-Wave back in and works. Amazing that Zigbee is the one giving me problems :rofl:

Same result. No go :smiling_face_with_tear:

OMG, why everything is so complicated with these smart locks?

I guess experience may vary because I have two of them: They paired right away (zwave) and perform flawlessly in many automations.