Known Issue with Sticky Trigger?

I’ve been having problems with my mesh Network playing nicely with some Wi-Fi connected devices so I was using RM to track if they’ve disconnected for longer than a minute or two. I used a sticky trigger to accomplish this. I’ve noticed, though, that a rule with a sticky trigger still triggers even if the device does not stay in the triggered state for the designated time period. I don’t see this listed as a known issue in the latest release. Maybe sticky triggers don’t behave like I think?

Here’s a trivialized example that duplicates the problem using a virtual presence device:

The device starts as Present. When the device leaves, then arrives within 20 seconds, the rule still triggers after the stay period of 20 seconds. That seems counterintuitive. I would think the rule wouldn’t trigger because it didn’t stayed not present for the full 20 seconds. What am I missing?

Here’s the log:

Nothing...it's just how the logic works. The rule subscribes to the "presence" event type for the device. When the event occurs, the rule just waits the 20 seconds to see if another event occurs. If not, then it proceeds to the 'action' of the rule.

Interesting... Like @mluck, I too would've guessed that example rule would've de-triggered.

In this case, what would be an example of an appropriately qualifying "another event" that would stop the triggering?

Hmm, but another event did occur. After the precipitating departure event, there was an arrive event 2 seconds into the 20, which means the presence didn't "stay". Am I still misinterpreting what a sticky trigger means?

Nope...completely missed the whole rule still ran piece. Yep...that's not right. What version of HE firmware are you on? I can't reproduce on 2.3.4.117.

I'm on the latest 2.3.4.119

EDIT: Actually just updated to 2.3.4.120 -- reproduced same behavior

Can you repro on 2.3.4.120?

I'm upgrading my secondary hub now and will comment back.

Works fine for me on .120:

1 Like

Thanks for helping. Would you mind sharing the rule too....I'll try to replicate and see what's going on. So weird.

Actually I think I found the problem. Look at my rule below. There is only one sticky trigger, but when I go to delete it (I was going to recreate it), there is a ghost trigger too. Strange. I think that's the cause. Testing now....

EDIT: The above was the problem!

2 Likes

All's well that ends well - thanks for the follow-up!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.