Kiosk Browser or how to have a screensaver with pictures of my kids

I’m gonna have a couple of extra old iPads in the next few days (assuming Santa is good to me). In my imagination I’m going to mount them with my dashboard on guided access. Easy enough. But then I thought, ‘gee, it would be nice if it doubled as an e-picture frame...’

I assumed iOS would have a screensaver mode, but nope, apparently not. So then I found kiosk browsers, and while I checked out half a dozen or so, I couldn’t find one that would let you use a cloud folder as the material for a screensaver. I found one that lets you use a local folder, but it’s only local and it’s a $20 annual subscription. I found some that let you put urls to individual pics or videos in as a screensaver, but that’s a lot of set up and not easy to update. I would have thought there would be one that would let you put in the url of a Dropbox folder, or Google photos album etc. and then use the files it finds in there to make a screensaver. Ideally this could be a folder or album I could share with family.

Too much to ask? Anyone found a different way to get where I want to go?

Way back in my younger days, I wrote a simple html page with some javascript that put the browser into full screen and rotated background images until the image was clicked…

1 Like

I created this Hubitat app/driver for Google Photos, so you could create a dashboard with a tile: [PROJECT] Google Photos integration for dashboard image slide-show

As for how to auto-load as a screensaver (and back to another dashboard when you want), maybe somebody has another idea...

1 Like

I wonder if you could do load it with rule machine :thinking:

If you are using a cloud source for your photos, then Dakboard free version will let you pick almost any of the ones available. I do not use the photos, but I do use Dakboard free.
You get a personalized link to your screensaver and paste that into Fully Kiosk as your link.

ScreenShot of options